Isle of man colours

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited December 2013 in Pro race
This is Kennaugh winning Lincoln GP...is that a legitimate IofM kit? Rock Racing :roll:

Lincolngp13-Kennaugh-wins-2.jpg
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• 'tis what was chosen for the IoM team to wear

come on FF, you're always saying the Sky boys are boring robots....surely this is a cheeky flash of rebellion by li'l Pete?
  • I think they got a real good deal on the rock racing kit so got some made up their normal kit is https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=533105093405590&set=pb.100001183137920.-2207520000.1387473218.&type=3&theater
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Liking the Rock salute for rock racing
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    They're sponsored by Rock Racing, as you can see here: http://www.iomcycling.com/
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Ok makes sense. Maybe they dont understand the history of THE RR team?

RR, yes a bit of a difference - could have been better without the blue helmet.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Paul 8v
    Looks like the sky gloves too. I think it comes from the worlds where people had their national kit but normal team bikes, helmets etc.

But yes, a matching helmet would look a bit better!
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Looks like the sky gloves too. I think it comes from the worlds where people had their national kit but normal team bikes, helmets etc.

But yes, a matching helmet would look a bit better!

Except there's no Iom team in the WC. Looks good though.
  • Paul 8v
    That is true, if they have team stuff for the worlds then I suppose there is no chance for the Lincoln GP :)

There were a few custom lids at the worlds actually like the Purito one, I would like to see some more crop up in the Grand Tours, makes it a bit moto gp. Love the way they personalise the team bikes/kit in moto GP
  • The kit was acquired IIRC through Cal Crutchlow who has contacts at Rock Racing. The idea was a play on the phrase "Rock Racing" as in the Isle of Man being an Island ("Rock")

The initial intention was for the Ellan Vannin cycling club to back a team to race at Lincoln led by Andrew Roche. unfortunately we couldn't do that but the organisers were good enough to allow a representative team from the Island to race. A merry band of supporters went to watch and I was even able to cheer on the forum's very own Doobz who was going well in the early laps.

Peter won with the team riding their hearts out for him. I think Rochey finished in the main bunch which was a creditable finish for such a coffin dodger!

I'm not sure if they'll be using the Rock Kit for the Commonwealth Games but there is high hopes the Island can secure a road race medal this time around.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    How's Jonny Bellis these days?
  • Tusher wrote:
    How's Jonny Bellis these days?

I believe he's thinking about a track comeback with a view to qualifying for the Commonwealths
    @JaunePeril

• Shouldn't have let him ride IMO. WorldTour riders aren't allowed to ride Prems for a reason, and bending the rules by riding for IoM team is just daylight robbery.

Though it was funny to see Kristian House climbing like a broken man while Kennaugh just looked behind him breathing through his nose before promptly giving him a good schooling :lol:

Wasn't a special case made for IOM to field a squad with the Commies next year in mind?

The GB domestic guys might have chuntered about it, but it was a treat for the roadside fans.
  • The kit was acquired IIRC through Cal Crutchlow who has contacts at Rock Racing. The idea was a play on the phrase "Rock Racing" as in the Isle of Man being an Island ("Rock")

The initial intention was for the Ellan Vannin cycling club to back a team to race at Lincoln led by Andrew Roche. unfortunately we couldn't do that but the organisers were good enough to allow a representative team from the Island to race. A merry band of supporters went to watch and I was even able to cheer on the forum's very own Doobz who was going well in the early laps.

Peter won with the team riding their hearts out for him. I think Rochey finished in the main bunch which was a creditable finish for such a coffin dodger!

I'm not sure if they'll be using the Rock Kit for the Commonwealth Games but there is high hopes the Island can secure a road race medal this time around.

you guys have a good chance in the commies of coming away with something, any idea who else is going Mark Christian i guess?

Be good to see how Rochey does in the TT if he gets in the team, i know James from guernsey wants to try get the better of him having not been able to go to the island games this year.
  • ^partly because I think Vettel's a bell-end
  • Shouldn't have let him ride IMO. WorldTour riders aren't allowed to ride Prems for a reason, and bending the rules by riding for IoM team is just daylight robbery.

Though it was funny to see Kristian House climbing like a broken man while Kennaugh just looked behind him breathing through his nose before promptly giving him a good schooling :lol:

That's because he came out for a ridey pidey with the Peril the day before! House is a seriously nice guy. If I won the Euro millions tomorrow and decided to put a team together there would definitely be a place for him either on or off the road.

Luke I take your point about Little Pete but I don't think the Island would have got the gig of a team place without him. I can't imagine any other "big boys" from WT ever doing something like this so I don't think it will be the floodgates opening, I suspect it was very much a one off. Also the Lincoln has a rich history and in order to ensure that these races remain popular and well supported the occasional "big name" draw can only be good for the sport. What we need is to boost prize money and make keep the race competitive down the field.

As for the Commie Games squad I would speculate as follows:

I would expect Rochey to TT and road race, Peter will road race along with Cav. Mark Christian as well but he might want to do track the prior weekend in the scratch or points race as he medalled there last time. I would also expect Joe Kelly to road race and after his time at the academy to perhaps do the track as well. Tom Black may well TT and Graham Hatcher will also be looking to make the team
    @JaunePeril

Wasn't a special case made for IOM to field a squad with the Commies next year in mind?

The GB domestic guys might have chuntered about it, but it was a treat for the roadside fans.

True it may have been a spectacle (though everyone knew exactly who was going to win) but there was 50+ guys in that bunch earning their living from doing races like that, with one of the biggest being Lincoln. Rules are there to prevent a big boy stealing the spoils, same as you wouldn't Vettel to race the Clio series and mop up all the publicity and prize money.

where do you stand with nfto and them signing Blythe for reported world tour money and Russ Downing although to be fair he is fairly old now so it probably isn't so bad for him, but i expect the two of them to clean up alot of races next year assuming they race UK and don't have a big european calendar
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    Shouldn't have let him ride IMO. WorldTour riders aren't allowed to ride Prems for a reason, and bending the rules by riding for IoM team is just daylight robbery.

The GB domestic guys might have chuntered about it
    , but it was a treat for the roadside fans.

Chuntering about it on the grounds of circumventing rules is a reasonable complaint, although on ability terms it doesn't hold water. If British teams of 8 Conti riders do not feel capable of racing competitively against a single WT rider then they have no justification for asking to ride the London Classic or TOB. The more interesting issue is the pros and cons of the ruling and why BC felt the need to change it from the previous level, which I believe allowed the pros (defined as PC/WT) to ride, providing no more than 3 were from one team. The protectionist approach secures the interests of some riders/teams and sponsors, but at the same time arguably, restricts the scope for development of others and of the sport in Britain as a whole, by limiting the quality of riders who can participate. Re-naming the Premiers and adding a few more races at the same level doesn't improve standards. Personally, I felt the former approach was a better compromise between the conflicting vested interests of parties.
  • Lyn, wasnt it the result of the UCI sending out a missive to all the nat feds, reinforcing the ruling about PT and ProConti riders? I know there was a bit of a furore amongst US riders and race organisers early in the year when USA Cycling cracked down (and that was in reaction to the UCI)

EDIT: Ah, no, I was thinking of this
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/04/ ... nts_280854
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    Lyn, wasnt it the result of the UCI sending out a missive to all the nat feds, reinforcing the ruling about PT and ProConti riders? I know there was a bit of a furore amongst US riders and race organisers early in the year when USA Cycling cracked down (and that was in reaction to the UCI)

EDIT: Ah, no, I was thinking of this
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/04/ ... nts_280854

Not sure what precipitated it. If it was UCI rolling out a standard global policy, then BC presumably had no choice, other than to group them under a national banner, which is probably too much hassle.
  • it is the same in France and Belgium is it not? where only continental teams of that country can ride? am i right in thinking a conti team from outside the UK wouldn't be allowed to ride prems aswell? I am sure some of the top UK guys would welcome higher level riders competing in them as it would push the level up and make the step to ride london/TOB a bit easier, but you also have guys who work 40 hours a week in prems who would get even more of a kicking. Swings and roundabouts i guess!
  • Kind of slightly Ot but it does bring ups back to the need for a WT level one dayer in Britain if we are truly going to cement the rise in popularity of the sport.

I think Lincoln has the makings of that but some might suggest that the South East remains the best place...discuss?
    @JaunePeril

• ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    Kind of slightly Ot but it does bring ups back to the need for a WT level one dayer in Britain if we are truly going to cement the rise in popularity of the sport.

I think Lincoln has the makings of that but some might suggest that the South East remains the best place...discuss?
    Lincoln have put a bid in for the 2015 National Road Race & Time Trials which I believe is a loop through the Lincolnshire Wolds and then several laps of the Lincoln GP circuit. If that goes ahead then I would think a course like that would be perfect for a WT level one dayer.

But of course the perpetual problem with Lincoln is how hard it is to get here and lack of decent places to stay when you are here (for large groups I mean, plenty of lovely smaller establishments around.)