Michael Rogers Positive for Clenbuterol

Comments

• RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    So does Clen stay in your body for 3 days, or 2-3 weeks?

snort...
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited December 2013
    suggest reading USADA's decision re Madalyn Colby, a trackie who tested positive for clen at the Pan American Continental Track Championships in Mexico in Feb.

Velonews summary here
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/08/ ... ive_297731

'According to USADA, after a thorough review of the case, including the evaluation of information regarding documented cases of meat contamination in Mexico, both USADA and the UCI, could not, to a comfortable satisfaction, conclude that Godby had acted negligently or was at fault for the positive test.

While it could not be established that Godby was at fault or acted negligently in this instance, in accordance with the Code and Article 288 of the UCI Anti-Doping Rules, a violation of the anti-doping rules in connection with an in-competition test automatically leads to the disqualification of all results obtained in that competition.'

Colby had her results at those Champs stripped. However, she was not given any ban, and any future AD violation is to be treated as a first offence.

Every case is unique and is treated as such. 2 years is the maximum for clen - the ruling body can give penalty up to 2 years - including no ban.

The word 'default' in relation to 2 years, is wrong and its misleading. 2 years is the maximum
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    nic_77 wrote:
    We need to see every rider's daily food diary (along with their power files of course). Why are teams keeping these data secret?

:wink:

They are not kept secret.

They have the TUE system which you can detail your supplements and medicines.

A food defense is Rogers only hope here.

AFAIK, TUE's are ONLY used when taking medicine that is required, and would otherwise be banned under WADA rules.

It does not document supplements or standard (non-banned) medications.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Clenbuterol

:lol: :oops: :lol:

great...

Where have you been? Your unique brand of minimalist yet to the point comment has been conspicuous by its absence lately

Always observing...

I can't believe it's not Clenbuterol...

Not having that on me toast again
  • RideOnTime wrote:

snort...

Clen is actually very good for your airways. It’s actually a treatment for serve asthma. So the performance enhancement is just not weight loss.

It has other “helpful” side effects to weight loss. You also lose no muscle mass which can occur with other thermogenics.
  • Pokerface
    Rogers' UCI licence number is AUS... so he is under the Aussie Federation.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime wrote:

snort...

Clen is actually very good for your airways. It’s actually a treatment for serve asthma. So the performance enhancement is just not weight loss.

It has other “helpful” side effects to weight loss. You also lose no muscle mass which can occur with other thermogenics.

Are you absolutely sure that's not margarine. I can't believe it's Clenbuterol...
  • Pokerface wrote:
    nic_77 wrote:
    We need to see every rider's daily food diary (along with their power files of course). Why are teams keeping these data secret?

AFAIK, TUE's are ONLY used when taking medicine that is required, and would otherwise be banned under WADA rules.

True, re: food. Not supplements.

Beta-2 usage in this case would come under TUE. So if he had a legitimate reason he would have lodged a TUE.

It is important that you understand the List and keep aware of the changes to it. It is critical that you remind your doctors, pharmacists and other medical support people to be aware of your obligations under the WADA Code.

They must assist you to ensure your medications and supplements are not included on the Prohibited List. What goes into your body is always your responsibility. So always check with your medical support team before taking any medications or nutritional supplements.
  • Richard Keys, axe to grind?

Much? 8)
    Richard Keys‏@richardajkeys9m
    Tiernan-Locke. Now Michael Rogers. And the trail seems to lead in only one direction......!
  • what I don't understand is why someone like Rogers about whom there have always been rumours would pull such a stunt? He must know that he has been under the magnifying glass of suspicion for a while? Is he another Ricco or Di Luca but on a less nuclear scale?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface wrote:
    nic_77 wrote:

True, re: food. Not supplements.

Beta-2 usage in this case would come under TUE. So if he had a legitimate reason he would have lodged a TUE.

It is important that you understand the List and keep aware of the changes to it. It is critical that you remind your doctors, pharmacists and other medical support people to be aware of your obligations under the WADA Code.

They must assist you to ensure your medications and supplements are not included on the Prohibited List. What goes into your body is always your responsibility. So always check with your medical support team before taking any medications or nutritional supplements.

You can't get a TUE to use a supplement. You can only get a TUE for medication. Bow do I know this? Because I'm in the anti-doping system and am painfully aware of all the restrictions.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Saddened to hear that news. ;-(
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    what I don't understand is why someone like Rogers about whom there have always been rumours would pull such a stunt? He must know that he has been under the magnifying glass of suspicion for a while? Is he another Ricco or Di Luca but on a less nuclear scale?

I fully believe he has been doing it for years and years. Just this time his bag has traces of Clen in it, a mistake, which is really the only way a doper can get caught. Old habits die hard and he knows that he wouldn't be the same rider without them.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Richard Keys, axe to grind?

Much? 8)
    Tiernan-Locke. Now Michael Rogers. And the trail seems to lead in only one direction......!

He's not the sharpest tool in the box though is he ?

Did you see him storm out of M&S after they asked him to pay 5p for his plastic bag for his £50 worth of shopping.
    He ranted on twitter about it - and then someone pointed out that the 5p goes to charity......
  • Joelsim wrote:
    what I don't understand is why someone like Rogers about whom there have always been rumours would pull such a stunt? He must know that he has been under the magnifying glass of suspicion for a while? Is he another Ricco or Di Luca but on a less nuclear scale?

I fully believe he has been doing it for years and years. Just this time his bag has traces of Clen in it, a mistake, which is really the only way a doper can get caught. Old habits die hard and he knows that he wouldn't be the same rider without them.

That and he's a long term user of Clen. Knowing only Cologne had a detection rate like Contador's thought he was safe.

I don't know about the Tokyo lab but appears they can trace to the same levels.

The doping is not addictive but the results and performance is.
  • cougie wrote:

Much? 8)

Did you see him storm out of M&S after they asked him to pay 5p for his plastic bag for his £50 worth of shopping.
    He ranted on twitter about it - and then someone pointed out that the 5p goes to charity......

He's drawing a long bow but I'm sure he's still upset about losing his job.

Bit of a knob, maybe?
  • Pokerface wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    nic_77 wrote:

You can't get a TUE to use a supplement. You can only get a TUE for medication. Bow do I know this? Because I'm in the anti-doping system and am painfully aware of all the restrictions.

Thanks. UK appears a little different from the USA.

But yes right you are. TUE is for "prescriptive medicine".

In the US you can verify a supplements contents and have it recorded that you did so.
  • Pokerface
    In the US you can verify a supplements contents and have it recorded that you did so.

You can do that anywhere. The really good supplement providers will batch test their product and record the proof of cleanliness for you if you need it. Still not sure it would get you off the hook 100%. I believe more than one athlete has been able to prove tainted supplements and still faced a (reduced) ban.
  • cougie wrote:

Much? 8)

Ah. Richard Keys, formerly of the Sky Sports parish till he had to leave in 2011 after behaving like a kn^bjockey. Hasnt got over it yet, has he
  • Pokerface wrote:

You can do that anywhere. The really good supplement providers will batch test their product and record the proof of cleanliness for you if you need it. Still not sure it would get you off the hook 100%. I believe more than one athlete has been able to prove tainted supplements and still faced a (reduced) ban.

Thanks, good information! :D

Agree it won't get you off the hook for a supplement. I guess if you lodged it you can at least say it was a supplement and not premeditated doping and hope for a reduced ban.
  • Never heard of R Keys so googled him and came up with this:
    'Is Richard Keys the lost member of Liverpool's Spice Boys?'
    :roll:
    Contador is the Greatest

to be honest, that would give him more meaning in life than he has now

Walsh is having his turn.
    David Walsh ‏@DavidWalshST 28m
    @robertrayner Robert, if Rogers admitted he doped at Sky, it would diminish what they achieved last year. But Wiggins lose Tour title? No.

to be honest, that would give him more meaning in life than he has now

He's actually cleaning up in Dubai. Presenting the football coverage over there. Triple the salary and no tax.

But yes. His name is mud.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Doesn't seem to be much Twitter activity from JV, LA or anyone else on the subject.
  • Joelsim wrote:
    Doesn't seem to be much Twitter activity from JV, LA or anyone else on the subject.

JV had some questions on Froome on ax3 but since then he's stayed out of this sort of thing.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    lets just hope they dn't botch the B sample. What annoys me is when athletes get off because the B sample hasn't been handled correctly.

We also don't know when he left China to go to Japan if the stayed on a few days after the race then Clen could still be in his system.
  • Been meaning to post this blog post by Kenny Pryde

http://www.biscuittinmedia.com/tour-of- ... -the-meat/

couple of good questions here
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited December 2013
    sherer wrote:
    lets just hope they dn't botch the B sample. What annoys me is when athletes get off because the B sample hasn't been handled correctly.

We also don't know when he left China to go to Japan if the stayed on a few days after the race then Clen could still be in his system.

Tour of Beijing finished 15 Oct. If he travelled with team mate Rory Sutherland* (which you'd assume) he was in Japan by 17th. Japan Cup was on 20th.

That short a time gap - feasible for traces of clen from contaminated meat to still be knocking around his system by 20th

*snooping on Sutherland's Twitter feed
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    So (one) theory seems to be that it's from a botched blood bag. Fair enough, but I have some questions...why on earth go to the expense and effort of blood doping, for some end of season chippers half way round the world, which no one really pays attention to? (not to mention, the logistics of carting blood bags to Asia?)

But if that's disregarded, then he just took it straight up, but that doesn't really make much sense either, (as far as I know) you would generally use clen to shed weight at the start of the season.

So that leaves contamination...or my personal theory, Sky are so good at doping that they put a tracer in their drugs which is automatically set off sometime after the rider leaves the team...
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live