Fork travel on specialized

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited December 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
All, recently purchased another Epic carbon however the forks that are currently on there are the s140ta 115-140 travel.
I now that epics run 100mm travel would the extra 15mm upset the geometry to much...

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    15 mm will give approx 1.5 degree slacker head angle but 140 on a 100 frame will make a huge change and probably put a lot of strain on the frame
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Not sure about that particular frame but I used to have 120mm forks on a Giant XTC and then an Anthem, both rode really nicely but I really wouldn't have wanted to go with any more on either frame.
    Both bikes felt more like trail bikes than racey XC bikes with the longer forks.
    The axle-crown measurement is more important than travel.
    Have you tried googling 120mm forks on Epic to see if others have done it?
  • Anonymous
    Cheers for the info peeps..
    The stearer lengh is uncut as it's carbon, tbh I can't realy tell the difference with the added 15mm as the brain works totally different.

Searching google now for 120mm set ups on epics.
  • Anonymous
    Not sure about that particular frame but I used to have 120mm forks on a Giant XTC and then an Anthem, both rode really nicely but I really wouldn't have wanted to go with any more on either frame.
    Both bikes felt more like trail bikes than racey XC bikes with the longer forks.
    The axle-crown measurement is more important than travel.
    Have you tried googling 120mm forks on Epic to see if others have done it?

There's a few Epics running 120mm forks with no issues at all, even one with a lefty.
    I will play about with the sag on the forks and adjust accordingly..
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The Epic Marathon comes with 120mm forks as stock.
  • Anonymous
    njee20 wrote:
    The Epic Marathon comes with 120mm forks as stock.

Cheers didn't know that thought all Epics were 100mm apart from the Evo type.

Still playing about with the brain setting.
  • njee20
    Sorry, I meant Evo!
  • Anonymous
    njee20 wrote:
    Sorry, I meant Evo!

Looking at the Evo geo it's based on the epic lines so I rekon 115mm will be within the frames tolerances .
  • njee20
    It's just an Epic frame with a 120mm fork and a Command Post, exactly the same as the 'normal' frames.