The Carolina's

the playing mantis
the playing mantis Posts: 2,129
edited December 2013 in The cake stop
Does anyone have any first hand experience of primarily north but also south carolina? nice places? recommendations?
etc.

apparently its a bit warm in summer.

Thanks

TPM

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Looks ok to me :wink:

image.jpg
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    The area around Lake Lure and Chimney Rock near Ashville is beautiful. It is where Dirty Dancing was filmed.
    Charleston is by all accounts well worth a visit.
    We drove from Ashville to Cherekee along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Driving, I found the constant twists and turns a pain in the ar5e.
  • Another positive endorsement for Charleston - it's a lovely place to visit.
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    And another for Charleston.

Quite liked the southern states feel of South Carolina - but this comes from someone who dislikes being north of mason dixie.

Did some cycling out of Point Clear many years ago on a crap resort bike - seem to remember the roads were ok and if you got back alive then that meant the locals liked you. It wasn't that hot, 80s, lower 90s maybe.

Linking together Atlanta, Charleston and Savannah would give a good southern states trip.
  • An old boss of mine moved to North Carolina, he loves it.

That's about the best I can do...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I work in Charleston twice a year, its a great place although there are very very bad areas (like anywhere in the USA)
    Food is excellent and reasonable. Shopping is great and there are some nice bike shops too.
    Living MY dream.
  • i will be in pinehurst for a few days if i go. seems equidistant between raleigh and charlotte.
  • I grew up in Chapel Hill, NC.It has the oldest public university campus from the U.S. and is gorgeous. Make sure to also hit the Dean Dome up and watch UNC do what we do best- play basketball! Also make sure to visit Mama Dips on Rosemary St. in Chapel Hill for some great soul food. Also make sure you hit Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen on Franklin Street up as well, best biscuits in the world.

Raleigh has some nice areas, although it is mostly suburbs. Also check out some of the eateries in Durham. Lots of great food around!