Intro

stevenminney
stevenminney Posts: 19
edited December 2013 in Road beginners
Hello,

Been referred to this forum by a work mate, and so I wanted to introduce myself.

I haven't rode a bike since I was half my current height, but needs must as we're giving up one of our cars.
I have purchased a road bike, and will be using it Mon-Fri to commute to work and back, 8 mile round trip.

This is the bike: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281222899494? ... 1497.l2648

I am 5ft 8", male, 29 years old, not exactly 'fit', but hoping that will change.

Got loads of questions about associated gear! Hoping you can all help :D

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Welcome aboard! Whatever you want to know, somebody on here will have an answer. If you're really lucky it will be the right answer too!
  • Welcome Steven, to quote old Ben Kenobi - "You've taken your first step into a larger world."

You'll soon be discussing the relative merits of handbuild vs factory built wheels, compact v standard v triple and what's so good about all this expensive 'Rapha' stuff...and remember, one more bike on the road and one less car IS A GOOD THING!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I think the answer to any question usually involves "lose some weight fatty".
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Welcome, loads of good advice on here, found plenty of help myself.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,321
    Welcome Steve and enjoy. Ask away and pay no attention to the grump people.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    ^^^ :lol::lol::lol:
    Welcome, I hope you have thick skin.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Get some drops put on that bike woiuld be the first thing to do reckon.
  • Yeah? I went for the straight handle to learn on.
    Probably look to upgrade to drop bars when I am done wobbling around like a baby giraffe.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Might be worth seeing if the seller still has them, then you have the option of putting them back on if you decide you want them in future.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I am 5ft 8", male, 29 years old, not exactly 'fit', but hoping that will change.

Well, if you are aiming to be a fit 21 year old 6ft female then I have to admire your ambition! Please post the pics in Bottom Bracket when you're done :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Rolf F wrote:

Well, if you are aiming to be a fit 21 year old 6ft female then I have to admire your ambition! Please post the pics in Bottom Bracket when you're done :lol:

Hehehe (or rather hohoho)! Brilliant :)
  • Banter :lol:

Posted my height to see if anyone picks up on the frame size of the bike.
    5ft8", 52CM frame... the chap who refurbs the bikes said this bike is suitable for my height.
  • Banter :lol:

Posted my height to see if anyone picks up on the frame size of the bike.
    5ft8", 52CM frame... the chap who refurbs the bikes said this bike is suitable for my height.

I'm 5'8 and ride a 52cm, so that should be ideal for you.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Bobbinogs wrote:

Oooo. Doubly cruel seeing as it's Christmas. :)
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Welcome!!

Enjoy the forum, there's plenty of good advice available here, just bring your think skin, don't take offence and ignore the sanctimonious morons :D
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved