Data Protection...

thekickingmule
thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
edited December 2013 in The Crudcatcher
Anyone here genuinely know anything about it?

Scenario: A person takes something from a room, but returns it later and it's all captured on CCTV. It's my equipment, and I am used to this happening, but have agreed to talk to this person.

Now, several heads of departments demand to be told the name of this person, so they can have a stern word with him.

Does Data Protection protect this person from being named to people that don't need to know? This person occasionally works for the different departments. He didn't steal anything, he merely borrowed it.

Basically, I want to deal with this without telling the different Heads, but they're demanding me to tell them. Trip to HR?

Cheers
It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
Blender Cube AMS Pro

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Give the footage to your boss. Make it his/her problem.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Tell them to fuck off and then just go D lock the cunt.
  • My boss is in the situation of not knowing anything about Data Protection, so was a bit confused as to why I wouldn't tell her then name.

I'm liking Angry Birds response, that's been my thinking so far
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    It's the persons line managers responsibility to sort out, and fark all business of the rest of them.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I'm confused as to why they can't access the cctv themselves? or is this a webcam or something similar you're set up? if so isn't there a law about recording people without their knowledge? :?
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Just give them the name, what is he your boyfriend
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No DP issues at all, a name is not data, the data is the other info attached to a name like DOB address etc etc
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    The Rookie wrote:
    No DP issues at all, a name is not data, the data is the other info attached to a name like DOB address etc etc
    Pretty much, handing over a name isn't a breach of data protection, it isn't data. However it's his line manager's problem and nobody elses, it's up to you whether you feel the need to tell the other heads of departments.

Do you work at a university OP?
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    The purpose of the data is surveillance therefore using it as intended - ie to identify a thief is not a DP issue but the Data Owner - presumably the GM will need to know. You consider the consequences to be relevant - that is a different matter.

If the council uses voting records to track down the name of a non-payer of council tax then that is a DP issue bevause the purpose of the voting info was to vote and it is being mis-used.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Give me an picture and an approximate address.

Your problem will disappear in a pink mist.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • If they returned said item without being asked what is the problem? Mass email department heads and hr and "suspect" if you can share their name you can share who wants it
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo

• Do you work at a university OP?
    Bingo. Said person was a student, not a member of staff.

Well, we've been ordered to give the name out by people higher in the food chain. There's an absolute which hunt for this person now, he's going to be "Spoken to" by several people. I've pointed out that this happens all the time, so it's unfair to deal with this one person like this, but hey, I'm a mere voice in the crowd of angry people.

Cheers everyone, Clank had the best answer though ;)
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029

Well, we've been ordered to give the name out by people higher in the food chain. There's an absolute which hunt for this person now, he's going to be "Spoken to" by several people. I've pointed out that this happens all the time, so it's unfair to deal with this one person like this, but hey, I'm a mere voice in the crowd of angry people.

I also work at one. Inter-departmental relations are the worst of the worst sometimes.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I used to study at one. And nick everyones stuff.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Well, if you were at the place I work, you would be branded a thief now! It's ridiculous.

Apparently taking a small soundcard from a Mac Lab isn't the same as taking a guitar amp out of a studio. MADNESS!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,861
    Well, if you were at the place I work, you would be branded a thief now! It's ridiculous.

Apparently taking a small soundcard from a Mac Lab isn't the same as taking a guitar amp out of a studio. MADNESS!

Snugs is at your uni and is a thief?
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    FishFish wrote:
    I used to study at one. And nick everyones stuff.

Tried that stunt in my cell, and I'd have broken your fingers.

....and neither would you have been the first.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222

To be fair, employees of university's and schools are so far divorced from reality that I can understand how seriously they take this grave issue.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500