Michael Rogers Positive for Clenbuterol

Comments

• Amusing twitter line from Peter Kennaugh's dad on MR: "Rogers - about time really"

that was PKs brother Tim, not his dad but anyway not sure it is such a good idea for him to have said it being Pete's brother?
  • Pross wrote:
    It will be interesting to see the organiser's paperwork that was used to give that guarantee. Presumably they can track back through the supply chain and see if there is any contamination. The levels are also going to be key to a contamination defence.

Is there a defence available ? I thought it wss strict liability or is it strict liability in essence but we'll consider a good excuse? I was amazed that the whole contador thing went on as long as it did.

Only to reduce his sentence. He will still be found guilty if the B-sample is positive.

But let's not speculate too much ;)
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    andyp wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    Sorry I meant T-Mobile

The words "extremely successful" and Michael Rogers don't exactly fit well together. And Virenque's right hand man? Really?

You are basically making things up to fit your own narrative aren't you? And showing up your lack of knowledge as you go.

I think you are hiding your head in the sand Andy. I think if you look at his history he has been a very successful rider.
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    It may be overstating it saying he was Virenques right hand man, but Rogers did help him win Stage 7 of the 2003 TDF, and was 4th on that stage himself.

Ha, it was obvious he was a druggie good job he got caught even if ironically it might on this case have been an accident.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,216
    Pross wrote:
    It will be interesting to see the organiser's paperwork that was used to give that guarantee. Presumably they can track back through the supply chain and see if there is any contamination. The levels are also going to be key to a contamination defence.

Is there a defence available ? I thought it wss strict liability or is it strict liability in essence but we'll consider a good excuse? I was amazed that the whole contador thing went on as long as it did.

I should think it would be a defence for a reduced ban at best but I could see it going to CAS if he was able to prove that an event organiser supplied contaminated meat after guaranteeing it was safe (at a UCI sanctioned event).
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Pross wrote:

Well, proof that it came from contaminated food locally, especially if provided by race organiser, would actually probably get him off the hook.

There is precedent for dropping cases when large numbers of athletes test positive at once. Think Mexico, soccer and 109 positive tests for Clenbuterol (out of 208 tests) in one tournament in 2011....
  • joelsim
    If they all test positive then yes there is a case. Ih only he tests positive and there is plasticiser in his sample too. Then I'm sorry.
  • Pokerface wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Well, proof that it came from contaminated food locally, especially if provided by race organiser, would actually probably get him off the hook.

There is precedent for dropping cases when large numbers of athletes test positive at once. Think Mexico, soccer and 109 positive tests for Clenbuterol (out of 208 tests) in one tournament in 2011....

And who's the race organiser for Tour of Beijing? GCP.....
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    ASO innit?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    ASO innit?

Uh-uh. Tour of Beijing is UCI's GCP

Betcha his defence is meat eaten during Tour of Beijing (China is clen hotspot, Japan isnt)
  • ddraver
    ok, I know better than to question you... ;)
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    ok, I know better than to question you... ;)

Well, thats put me in me place

:(:wink:
  • ddraver
    No no, I learned to just accept that you and Rich are just always right...

Seriously!
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Various tweets saying he's Steaked everything on the Contaminated Meat defence
    - @ddraver
  • joelsim
    The chances of being caught by the doping testing is minimal at best, unless there is a misteak involved. Which in this instance is a contaminated blood bag. Job done.
  • ddraver wrote:
    Various tweets saying he's Steaked everything on the Contaminated Meat defence

You have to admit putting the word steak in sentences like this is old. Been done to death.

Saxo and Rogers state a "food source".
    The Australian explained to the team management that he never ingested the substance knowingly nor deliberately and fears that the adverse analytical finding origins from a contaminated food source.
    Michael Rogers participated in Tour of Beijing the week before the Japan Cup and travelled directly from China to Japan.

Michael Rogers now has the opportunity to request an analysis of his B-sample. According to the team's Anti Doping policy, Michael Rogers is provisionally suspended with immediate effect.
  • Pokerface wrote:
    Velonation saying that in China the riders would eat food from the race organiser that was supposed to be 'guaranteed' to be safe.

I'm afraid with the level of corruption in China a guarantee that it is safe is only useful for wiping your bottom with.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    ddraver wrote:
    No no, I learned to just accept that you and Rich are just always right...

Seriously!
    Me? Have you seen my PTP picks?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    Ok, you always right about things that have come to pass... ;)
    - @ddraver
  • Pokerface
    The level of Clenbuterol in his system when found positive will go a long way to backing up his food contamination if the level is extremely low. If he raced in China a week before, even eating a massive amount of contaminated food would have passed through his system in that week.

We learned all about half lives of the substance and how long it would be in your system from the Contador case.
  • Pross wrote:
    Is this another case where it has been tested at a super lab that picked up previously undetectable levels or were his levels at a higher level than Bertie?

Even he a beef defence is more believable in this instance it is still no defence. If you are in an area where there's a risk of contamination then presumably you just don't eat it.

e.g. GB trackies (sure they werent the only nation) at the recent World Cup in Mexico were tweeting about having to be on a meat-free diet throughout the entire period they were there.

Then you avoid the likes of this
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/08/ ... ive_297731

There indeed was a total ban for GB. They lived off tuna.
    You may be surprised to know that the Germans ate Mexican meat at almost all meals, besides breakfast.
    A case of watch this space, maybe?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited December 2013
    ^ just why do they do it....its like playing Russian roulette....

Re Tour of Beijing, Matt Brammeier's tweeted that at the hotel for Tour of Beijing, despite the warnings to avoid meat, 'more than 50% guys did. Every night meat at the buffet'

Which might not help Mick Rogers plea of meat contamination if he's Billy-no-mates on the clen positive front
  • Amusing twitter line from Peter Kennaugh's dad on MR: "Rogers - about time really"

that was PKs brother Tim, not his dad but anyway not sure it is such a good idea for him to have said it being Pete's brother?

Ta for the clarification.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Pokerface wrote:
    The level of Clenbuterol in his system when found positive will go a long way to backing up his food contamination if the level is extremely low. If he raced in China a week before, even eating a massive amount of contaminated food would have passed through his system in that week.

We learned all about half lives of the substance and how long it would be in your system from the Contador case.
    But what did he do in between China and Japan? And where was he? And where does meat used in Japan come from?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pokerface
    RichN95 wrote:
    And where does meat used in Japan come from?

Kobe :)
  • Am I alone in thinking that the BBC might be relishing both the JTL and Mick Rogers stories? Both have given them the chance to link Sky with doping, take the BBC Sport front page headline today "ex-Sky rider Rogers fails drugs test".
  • Its really bad news. In 2012 Rogers along with Ritchie Porte, was one of the main reasons Wiggo was able to win Le Tour. He rode his socks off for his team-leader and earned the respect of many a pro-cycling fan, me included. Along with JLT, such a bad way to end the year..........
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • Raymondo60 wrote:
    Its really bad news. In 2012 Rogers along with Ritchie Porte, was one of the main reasons Wiggo was able to win Le Tour. He rode his socks off for his team-leader and earned the respect of many a pro-cycling fan, me included. Along with JLT, such a bad way to end the year..........

Its also a terrible way for Tinkov to start off his new team - with his road captain suspended pending the hearing - and then possibly banned

Ta for the clarification.

Big Pete is little Pete and Tim's dad
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • ^ just why do they do it....its like playing Russian roulette....

Re Tour of Beijing, Matt Brammeier's tweeted that at the hotel for Tour of Beijing, despite the warnings to avoid meat, 'more than 50% guys did. Every night meat at the buffet'

Which might not help Mick Rogers plea of meat contamination if he's Billy-no-meats on the clen positive front

FTFY
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition