Michael Rogers Positive for Clenbuterol

Pokerface
Pokerface Posts: 7,960
edited May 2014 in Pro race
Hmmmnnnn.... Mick Rogers positive for Clenbuterol during Japan Cup. Riding for Saxo Bank - he won that race.

Comments

• Has he blamed the Kobe beef yet? :mrgreen:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Pokerface
    Must have picked up a trick or two from Alberto.

This should give you all something else to argue over - was he doping at Sky? Or only after he left.... :)
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    It never ends.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    This is one where I might actually believe a contaminated meat story as he was in China just before.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,564
    It's almost like they should just bring in a tolerance threshold for Clenbuterol and move on...
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    What is it with all these non-Sky riders suddenly testing positive?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,103
    RichN95 wrote:
    This is one where I might actually believe a contaminated meat story as he was in China just before.

Was just following the same line of thought and double checking he rode the Tour of Beijing. He did.
  • Sadly doping hasn't ended.

The guy has a dodgy past. Ferrari and Freiburg. Both confirmed. Saxo never should have hired and Sky probably got rid of him due to his past (although we don't know this).

And yes Aussies do dope. Will wait the B-sample but its not good news.

He looked super good in 2012 but not so much in 2013. Why would someone dope when their form is down?

Move him on.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    But then you'd expect others from his team to test positive too.

Wait, what year is this?
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Pokerface wrote:
    Must have picked up a trick or two from Alberto.

This should give you all something else to argue over - was he doping at Sky? Or only after he left.... :)

Well it's odds-on he was doping before SKY (IMHO).
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited December 2013
    There I was, wading through that other thread, when all a sudden it disappeared
    and like magic, this new one had appeared.
    Who's going to be first to..............
    ..........damn, we have a winner, even as I was typing! :D
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,471
    Is this another case where it has been tested at a super lab that picked up previously undetectable levels or were his levels at a higher level than Bertie?

Even he a beef defence is more believable in this instance it is still no defence. If you are in an area where there's a risk of contamination then presumably you just don't eat it.
  • UCI statement on the matter.
    The UCI advised Australian rider Michael Rogers that he is provisionally suspended. The decision to provisionally suspend this rider was made in response to a report from the WADA-accredited laboratory in Tokyo indicating an adverse analytical finding of clenbuterol in a urine sample collected from him in a test during the Japan Cup Cycle Road Race on 20 October 2013.

The provisional suspension of Mr. Michael Rogers remains in force until a hearing panel convened by his national federation determines whether he has committed an anti-doping rule violation under Article 21 of the UCI Anti-Doping Rules.

Mr. Rogers has the right to request and attend the analysis of his B sample.

Under the World Anti-Doping Code and the UCI Anti-Doping Rules, the UCI is unable to provide any additional information at this time.

UCI Communications Services
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    edited December 2013
    Jonathan Breyne @Crelan_Euphony provisionally suspended too

pic.twitter.com/5yjLj9rPbb
    cartoon.jpg
  • Pross wrote:
    Even he a beef defence is more believable in this instance it is still no defence. If you are in an area where there's a risk of contamination then presumably you just don't eat it.

^This
    Correlation is not causation.
  • TheBigBean
    Pross wrote:

No beef or pork. Aren't they important for recovery? It's almost like saying Chinese / Mexican cyclists should be vegetarian - not a defendable position in my opinion.
  • Pross wrote:
    Is this another case where it has been tested at a super lab that picked up previously undetectable levels or were his levels at a higher level than Bertie?

e.g. GB trackies (sure they werent the only nation) at the recent World Cup in Mexico were tweeting about having to be on a meat-free diet throughout the entire period they were there.

Then you avoid the likes of this
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/08/ ... ive_297731
  • But it is possible to be a veggie pro. But in Roger's case he didn't need to lay off the red meat forever just while in China.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Pokerface
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Pross wrote:

No beef or pork. Aren't they important for recovery? It's almost like saying Chinese / Mexican cyclists should be vegetarian - not a defendable position in my opinion.

Protein is important for recovery. You can very easily NOT eat beef or pork and be a VERY good athlete.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited December 2013
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Nope. See my post above.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Just a shot across the Bow, if this thread deteriorates like the others it will be locked and all negative contributors will receive a ban.

Keep it positive and don't make this a witch hunt, there will be no more warnings!
  • Pross
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Pross wrote:

There's plenty of veggie cyclists around and many other sources of protein. If you are a pro based in the country then it should be feasible to source meat from a tested supplier otherwise why isn't there a huge incidence of contamination amongst all sportsmen in these countries?
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Robert Millar?
  • TheBigBean
    But it is possible to be a veggie pro. But in Roger's case he didn't need to lay off the red meat forever just while in China.

Sure, and that would be the sensible thing for an international pro to do, but I still think the rules should be workable for everyone.
  • Pross
    The best solution would be to determine once and for all if clen is really performance enhancing and if not it could be taken off the banned list.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    http://www.wada-ama.org/en/media-center ... ated-meat/

Due to continuing concerns over contaminated meat in certain parts of the world, the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) has re-emphasized the need for athletes to exercise extreme caution with regards to eating meat when traveling to competitions in China and Mexico.
    It has been shown that Mexico and China have a serious problem with meat contaminated with the prohibited substance clenbuterol, and WADA’s message to athletes competing in these countries remains the same: eat only in restaurants and cafeterias that have been approved by your federation and/or event organizer.
    Furthermore, when eating outside these designated cafeteria and restaurants, always try to eat in large numbers.
    “We have collected sufficient evidence to demonstrate that in some countries there is a risk of eating meat that might be contaminated so we say to athletes that they should be sensible and cautious about where they eat,” said WADA Director General David Howman.
    “At the World Swimming Championships in Shanghai earlier this year, and the recent Pan American Games in Mexico, the advice from WADA was to stick to places given the all clear by event organizers. The Governments were able to give assurances to athletes at those events.
    “It is the responsibility of event organizers and governments to ensure the meat available to athletes is not contaminated.
    “WADA continues to give the same advice. These countries have assured WADA that they are taking steps to deal with this problem and to enforce laws that are in place to prevent steroid feeding of animals, but at the moment it is vital that athletes, coaches and team managers are aware of ways to avoid any risk.
    “It is also important that those sports and organizations who are staging events in these two countries obtain guarantees from the hosting body and government that the food made available to athletes is not contaminated.”
    WADA will approach and study any positive case involving clenbuterol on an individual basis.
    cartoon.jpg
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558
    RichN95 wrote:

And Breyne also tested positive for clenbuterol while racing in China...

Fascinated to see how this thread stays on the right side of the mods given that it throws bertie, sky and doping all together...
  • TheBigBean
    Pross wrote:
    There's plenty of veggie cyclists around and many other sources of protein. If you are a pro based in the country then it should be feasible to source meat from a tested supplier otherwise why isn't there a huge incidence of contamination amongst all sportsmen in these countries?

I fully accept that you can be a veggie pro, I just don't think it is reasonable thing to request of all athletes in these countries. On this point, I seem to be in some disagreement with the forum.

With regard to mass failures there are two options that I can think of (i) they have not been testing many people to the same degree of accuracy (ii) it's all porky pies about being able to ingest it by meat contamination.
  • Hope @dailystews wasnt planning a splurge on the proceeds... :?

http://dailystews.com/2013/06/15/the-gr ... xotinkoff/
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,385
    Oleg Tinkov: 'I have never had a positive test on my teams' - on this week's @HumansInvent cycling podcast ...

:P :P
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver