Angling

the playing mantis
the playing mantis Posts: 2,129
edited December 2013 in The cake stop
Are there any anglers here? I do an occasional spot of fishing, get some big bites when I dangle my rod out there.

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Fnar, fnar.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • This is not a double entendre, at least in the terms you are fnaring about
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Is it a double entendre in the sense that I took the bait then?

If not, in what sense is it a double entendre?

Enquiring minds need to know.

Back OT.
    Caught a decent fish once. Took it home. Gutted and filleted it. The cat ate it before I cooked it.

Hate cats.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I (try to) do a bit of fishing when I get chance, although the bike has taken the summer sundays away these days
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Likewise,i have a go for Carp and Barbel.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,944
    I do a bit of fishing when the weather's nice over summer, these days it's usually float fishing on the pond for carp and tench, or on the river for whatever will take.

I used to do a lot more and was a very keen fly-fisherman. My previous employment was about 5 miles from a nice river, and I was there most days. I often drove there during my lunch hour whilst eating a sandwich, spent 1/2 an hour fishing and then back to work again.

The older I get, the better I was.

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Are there any anglers here? I do an occasional spot of fishing, get some big bites when I dangle my rod out there.

There used to be a few, me included, but I think it's closed season now :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I occasionally like to dip my worm...

My dad did take me once but I'd managed to break the rod before I got there
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Mikey23 wrote:
    I occasionally like to dip my worm...

My dad did take me once but I'd managed to break the rod before I got there

Over use? :P
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Once went on a deep sea fishing trip off the coast of Australia. Managed to catch;
    i) the sea bed
    ii) nothing else
    Obviously there is more to fishing than I realised.
  • Cygnus
    Cygnus Posts: 1,879
    I used to do a bit of angling years ago back in my teens but I've not done it for a few decades now.
  • neal1984
    neal1984 Posts: 240
    zx6man wrote:
    I (try to) do a bit of fishing when I get chance, although the bike has taken the summer sundays away these days

Same here. Nice weather so have to choose between Carp fishing or a day on the bike. Bike wins more often than not.

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Neal1984 wrote:
    zx6man wrote:

Same here. Nice weather so have to choose between Carp fishing or a day on the bike. Bike wins more often than not.

Why choose?: http://www.bikefisherman.com/

shimano-fishing-equipment.jpg
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,473
    Another who has had to make a choice between cycling or fishing. Probably the wrong one, fishing is far easier on the body! I'm rubbish at both though.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,318
    Fly fishing for me. It has to be a dry fly on a floating line - anything else is not proper fishing. TBH, between bikes and kids, I get out for only 4 occasions a year (approx., +/- 4 days) but always try to get out on mid summers day and hope for moonlight too.

...and you need to learn how to do the Grinner knot. The only knot you'll ever need.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,473
    Fly fishing for me. It has to be a dry fly on a floating line - anything else is not proper fishing. TBH, between bikes and kids, I get out for only 4 occasions a year (approx., +/- 4 days) but always try to get out on mid summers day and hope for moonlight too.

...and you need to learn how to do the Grinner knot. The only knot you'll ever need.

Yep, nothing like seeing a wild brownie take a fly off the top and then fighting it on light tackle. I'd much rather catch a small fish on light kit than a big, stock carp on a heavy rod.

Only done it once but fly fishing for carp is great fun too.
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    Like seemigly everyone else - I used to but don't generally have the time; but not quite George Bowling just yet, do get out a couple of times a year & enjoy as much as I ever did...

Completely agnostic regarding which type; a carp churning the swim over your bait, watching a big pike following or dropping on the nose of a trout - all heart-stopping stuff.