my first new bike

Igor Aveiro
Igor Aveiro Posts: 8
edited December 2013 in MTB buying advice
hi guys,

I've owned plenty of bikes but all either hand me downs or used.

I'm buying my first new bike and need some advice

I'm mainly going to it use to commute to work and back but because i live in the Cotswolds, theres a few nice places to ride. (tracks, green lanes etc)

i don't want to spend a massive amount as i cant justify the expense for my needs. I've budgeted around £500, and the only things i'm pretty much settled on is i want a 29er

my local bike store suggested a Saracen Kili Pro. It's just within my budget and looks and feels great to ride. I'm 5'10 and tested the 15" frame, and it felt really good as my previous bike was also a small frame bike. By what i've read though, 15" is too small for my height. Would you agree or is there anyone out there which thinks a 15" (small) frame is ok for someone that is 5'10?

he let me take it around to my work just for a quick play. this is me sat on it

CAM00125-1.jpg

thanks in advance

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Looks way too small. You want your leg almost straight when pedalling, just slightly flexed at the knee.

Why a 29er?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Looks way too small. You want your leg almost straight when pedalling, just slightly flexed at the knee.

Why a 29er?

i've researched the diffrenece and it sounds perfect for what i want. easier on and off road, less manoeuvrability which is fine. rolls over bumps a little smoother. also love the look of them lol
  • cooldad
    Fair enough, still looks too small.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Deffo too small. Try a 17" or 18" if available.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Hopefully you went with a slightly bigger frame. Congrats on the new bike!!
  • he did suggest a 17" but when he went to place the order, they ran out of stock. he had a 15" in stock and told me to see how i felt on that

i havent bought it yet. i'll tell him i'll give it i miss and order the 17" online then

thanks people
  • what does everyone think of the VooDoo Bizango 29er? it comes from halfords in 20" form which will probably be way too big
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    It's a very good bike, but it also comes in 18"
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • It's a very good bike, but it also comes in 18"

oh, so it does. :roll: my bad!

thanks dude :D
  • I had the "kili 29er" hence my name lol. I found it was an excellent bike to do XC on, flying machine very comfortable aswell. It was fine on the tame trails aswell. I selt it though to fund for a long travel hardtail, still would of had to commute on if I had the room and funds.
  • guys i have a dilemma

the chap from my local bike shop has managed to track me down a 17" SARACEN Kili Pro 2013 29er.
    The deal is £500 and free servicing for a year i think it was, but as i work next to him he said he'll help me out whenever. and he'll throw in £60 worth of kit (i opted for high powered lights)

or

do i buy the VooDoo Bizango 29er from halfords for £530?

argh! :?
  • cooldad
    The one that fits.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    The one that fits.

in terms of spec, is one way ahead of the other?