Man down (like a sack of sh*t!) - Brookmill Road

bigmat
bigmat Posts: 5,134
edited January 2014 in Commuting chat
Finally succumbed to a heavy crash in the current ice-rink conditions. Safely negotiated the sharp left heading north on Brookmill, could see that the road was its usual filthy self but seeing as I was heading in a straight line felt I should be OK. Cruising along maybe 20mph, the road bears right very slightly. Suddenly felt rear wheel wash out, no chance to correct it and down I went on my right side.

Minor damage to jacket, tights and shorts (needle and thread should sort that out tonight) but bike taken a couple of knocks - new tape required, left shifter / bars will need close inspection, saddle badly scuffed - the usual really.

I have road rash on shoulder, hip and below knee and my right hand / wrist is very painful. Going to pop a couple of ibuprofen and give it until lunchtime but may end up paying A&E a visit this afternoon to get it x-rayed as feels pretty bad - anybody got any ideas how cautious you should be with this kind of thing?

Can't remember such a sustained perod of slippiness as the last few weeks, really losing faith in 23mm tyres :(

Comments

• DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Worth a trip to A&E from what you describe.
    Don't assume bigger tyres will help- I went down yesterday on 35mm slicks and suffered similarly. Luckily I broke the bike's fall, so merely damage to self & clothing...
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Sorry to hear that Mat. I've not noticed the slipiness but seen a heck lot of diesel on the roads recently.

Hope you feel better soon.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Ooof. I'd go and get it checked out anyway. Hope you're OK.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Ouch, GWS!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Went over the front in a Darwinistic manner in the summer, smashed up my wrist. I gave it till the morning before an A&E trip. They didn't need to x-ray, just did a few movements to work out whether it was bone or tendon that was hurt.

It really really hurt in the morning and couldn't put any weight on it. If its broken you'll probably know about it but if in doubt drop into a walk in. As I went nice and early mid week it was 15 minutes in and out.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    More evidence of climate change.
    Things are definitely screwed up when it is snowing in the middle east, icy in the south of the UK and double digit temperatures in the north of Scotland.
    Weird.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • bigmat
    Not ice - its just a film of scum all over the roads that the rain hasn't washed away. Mud, diesel, I don't know but its starting to get annoying! Back on the mountain bike for the rest of the year I think.
  • Ouch. Heal up!

Name and shame the tyres, Gatorslips?
  • Sorry to hear about your accident...

I hope you heal up good and nice!
    I ride with God on my mind and power in my thighs....WOE betide you!
    I know I'm not the fastest rider on earth BUT I KNOW I AM NOT the slowest!!!
    If you Jump Red Lights in order to stay ahead you are a DISGRACE!!
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    edited December 2013
    I thought that this was going to be about the brilliant Gregg Davis show on Channel 4.

Which has spawned a line that still makes me chuckle now and is appropriate for this thread.

"Oh my F*ck"

Get checked out and GWS
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    BigMat wrote:
    Not ice - .......
    Still snowing in the middle east though. :wink:
    GWS.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Ouch, sorry to hear that. I'd go and get it checked out if I were you. Hope it's not too bad and you feel better soon.
    I think the compound of rubber makes the biggest difference in bad conditions. I'm tempted to try some of the Conti winter tyres, not spiked but the right compound and a very fine tread maximising contact area as I recall. A quick Google shows they are hard to find but seem like a good option for a London winter. Winstanleys list them, but are out of stock.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Muppet.
    exercise.png
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Going a bit quicker than me and I did clavicle, ribs and pneumothorax. The effect of gravity and inertia on the human body is not a good one. Get it checked out by the professionals...
  • bigmat
    TheStone wrote:
    Muppet.

Cheers. You must be overdue taking out a granny?
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    BigMat wrote:
    TheStone wrote:
    Muppet.

Cheers. You must be overdue taking out a granny?

I'd have to actually get on my bike first!
    exercise.png
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Ouch - heal up soon fella.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • Owch take your self if not to A and E at least to a walk in center I didn't and still have a sore wrist from April.
  • Time to abandon the slick and fit touring tyres?

I was on my 32 mm knobblies this morning (50 PSI or so) and found that the grip has improved significantly since last week... could be the tyres... :roll:
    left the forum March 2023
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    edited December 2013
    Are the roads really that bad,

I havent had any issues with the roads, or slippage and I am on 28 gatorskins at the moment.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • bigmat
    Time to abandon the slick and fit touring tyres?

I was on my 32 mm knobblies this morning (50 PSI or so) and found that the grip has improved significantly since last week... could be the tyres... :roll:

I couldn't do that Ugo, they'd never fit with my mudguards!

Tomorrow I will be on my MTB with 26" wheels and slicks that are measured in inches rather than mm, PSI around 60. Will stick with that at least until the Prorace gets repaired.

CX tyres do tend to have softer compounds do they not?

I certainly notice the MTB's ability to disregard metalwork and other features that can make the roadie twitch, a big contact patch running at low pressure, with soft compound rubber, may not make the fastest tyre in the world but by heck they don't half grip!

CX tyres do tend to have softer compounds do they not?

I certainly notice the MTB's ability to disregard metalwork and other features that can make the roadie twitch, a big contact patch running at low pressure, with soft compound rubber, may not make the fastest tyre in the world but by heck they don't half grip!

Indeed... I find them draggy at low speed but once you hit 23-25 mph they seem to roll just as well
    left the forum March 2023
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    BigMat wrote:
    Finally succumbed to a heavy crash in the current ice-rink conditions. Safely negotiated the sharp left heading north on Brookmill, could see that the road was its usual filthy self but seeing as I was heading in a straight line felt I should be OK. Cruising along maybe 20mph, the road bears right very slightly. Suddenly felt rear wheel wash out, no chance to correct it and down I went on my right side.

Minor damage to jacket, tights and shorts (needle and thread should sort that out tonight) but bike taken a couple of knocks - new tape required, left shifter / bars will need close inspection, saddle badly scuffed - the usual really.

I have road rash on shoulder, hip and below knee and my right hand / wrist is very painful. Going to pop a couple of ibuprofen and give it until lunchtime but may end up paying A&E a visit this afternoon to get it x-rayed as feels pretty bad - anybody got any ideas how cautious you should be with this kind of thing?

Can't remember such a sustained perod of slippiness as the last few weeks, really losing faith in 23mm tyres :(

I'd go and get it checked out. When I came off a month ago I landed right hand down, but because I could still wiggle my fingers I thought I was ok.

By lunchtime my hand had blown up like a balloon and the doctor at work sent me off to Oldham A&E, me all the while protesting that I had just banged it. Two hours later I was stood outside the hospital waiting for a cab with a broken carpal bone and a pot on my arm :(
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    And one of those cones round yr neck to stop you licking it!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    If you die can i have your bikes ...? :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487
    I think it's got less to do with tyre width and pressure, and more to do with how much diesel there is on the roads. The insides of roundabouts seem to be particularly prone to collecting a greasy residue.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I went straight down a few weeks back - the road (rural, no diesel or anything - just wet, leafy mulchy cacky) was straight, I was travelling at a constant speed and the back wheel just slid straight out from under me with the front immediately following. I couldn't work out what on earth I'd done wrong until I realised it was the tyres - Rubino Pro Slicks. I now keep a Durano on the front at least. I wouldn't want to run both of those tyres at the moment.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    rubertoe wrote:
    Are the roads really that bad,

I havent had any issues with the roads, or slippage and I am on 28 gatorskins at the moment.

seems to be a mix of damp roads,mud/leaf mulch + the new flavour rock salt molasses mixed in with the odd bit of diesel have created very slippy road conditions, heard alot from people slipping on some roads round near me, so been taking it easy lately
  • Hope it's not too serious.

I'm using Vittoria Pave Tyres (green stripy ones) on both my road bike and SS here on the pave and cobbles. Great grip as you'd hope
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH