Rear triangle bent

Wormishere1
Wormishere1 Posts: 284
edited December 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I have a Cannondale F800 which has been having problems with the rear end. The rear mech will not shift to the smallest cog even without a cable, the tyre fowls the non drive chainstay and the wheel does not align perfectly straight.

Hacking check the alignment of the frame with some string the non drive triangle is 5mm out (45mm opposed to 40mm) compared to the drive side. This, I'm guessing, is the cause of all my problems.

Am I right and how hard will it be to fix? Can aluminium be re-aligned? Will it also be safe to ride?!

Thanks for your help.
Remember Rule #5

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i would take it to a bike shop or someone who can and get it looked at.

what do you mean without a cable?

and your wheel might just have come out of dish.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Hi,

I mean that even without any tension in the mech it will not align with the smallest cog - and yes iv adjusted the hi/low. I also forgot to say it steers left when riding no handed. It also bends qr skewers at an alarming rate.

The wheel was rebuilt about 4 months ago and just took it back for a trueing. I was toying with the idea of getting it dished to one side so it didn't fowl the frame anymore.

To be honest I might just look for another Dale frame and swap all the parts over for now. Saving for a Canyon Nerve at the mo but will see how much more I can get out of this frame.
    Remember Rule #5
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sounds like the frame is toast, but worth getting it looked at as Nick suggests.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Frame was toast. About 6mm out - LBS had a Park tool to measure it. I got a replacement F800 frame for £100 and all my rubbing/shifing issues are over.

Newly built up frame here >>>> viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12952209
    Remember Rule #5
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Only 6mm out? That's straighter than a new Intense.