Queen Elizabeth Country Park Trails - Portsmouth

cubedean
cubedean Posts: 670
edited January 2014 in Routes
I'm heading to Portsmouth early Jan with the family to see some friends. I'm tempted to take the bike for a few hours away, what're the QECP trails like?

I will be staying in Baffins so open to any other ideas.

Comments

• bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Like this... and now it has been raining the trail may be as wet and muddy as when that was filmed. Now it is raining again we'll have to go see what's no draining properly and fix it up for you!

Here's the map - the "Hard Shoulder" section can be challenging in the wet with off-camber rooty sections... but the rest of it is usually pretty good. Your best bet is to sign-up on the "Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective" site in my sig - and ask if someone will show you around.

The Red Trail is only about 6 miles, but there's plenty of other stuff to extend your ride if you have a local guide.
    RedTrail-v23_zpsb594826c.jpg
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Kingley Vale is also very good - lots of XC, big climbs, some built lines in the woods (courtesy of the great team at Stoughton Downhill) including 'the Vale', or if like me you are more wheels-on-the-ground the 'Hare and Hounds'. You can also link KV to QE Park and the South Downs Way, so lots of good local riding to choose from.
    LocalV3_zps1cb4ded6.jpg
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • cubedean
    Fantastic, will be a good way to pass a few hours. leave the wife to chat etc...with friends while i bugger off on my bike :)

Video looks like my cup of tea.

Cheers :)
  • Huckfinn
    Huckfinn Posts: 142
    They have been working on a blue trail which you might be able to ride, depending on where they are in the construction phase. From the bits I helped out with, it looks like its going to be a good trail.
  • cubedean
    Huckfinn wrote:
    They have been working on a blue trail which you might be able to ride, depending on where they are in the construction phase. From the bits I helped out with, it looks like its going to be a good trail.

I'm looking forward to it, fingers crossed it will be finished.

I'll be heading down friday 10th i think.
  • If it's anything like when I used to go when growing up in the area, you will need to take a brush with you to get the mud off - it rapidly gets to the point where you have to pedal down hill to get any forward motion!

Great track though, it can be a brutal 6 miles if its muddy
    Bikes:
    Cannondale Killer V 1995 (Promo model) - My first Race bike now converted to a commuter
    Lapierre X-Flow 712 - XC fs rocket
    Pivot Mach 6 - Enduro Machine
    Pinarello FP2 - Roadie
  • Huckfinn
    Huckfinn Posts: 142
    +1 ^ and slippery too
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Did the same over Xmas leaving the wife with her parents to get a couple of laps in. Hard Shoulder is tough at the moment, slippery , muddy and off camber, but that's part of the challenge, final descent is still as much fun as it was 20 years ago when I used to live down there.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols