Merry Xmas everybody -slade
I wish it could be xmas every day-wizzard
All I want for xmas is you-Mariah Carey
Rockin around the xmas tree- ?
Frosty the snowman- ?
Mistletoe and wine - Cliff Richard
On saviours day - Cliff Richard
12 days of xmas - ?

There are lots more examples of this annual garbage that gets churned out every bloody year from mid November to end of January, and I am so sick hearing it on repeat in every shop you go into and I just wish somebody would change the record and play something else .

Am I being a miserable barsteward or are any of you lot as sick of these songs as I am ?
This serious internet site..............I serious cat

Comments

• mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Am I being a miserable barsteward or are any of you lot as sick of these songs as I am ?

Yes you are and no I'm not.
    Tradition means repeating the same old stuff with little variation. I get annoyed with shops playing Christmas songs in November, but once December rolls in I'm happy to put up with the above songs and many others. Otherwise we might have Leona Lewis' christmas song on rotation, and that would get tiring very quickly.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Yes, and yes.
    As above, nothing should start before the 12th December so we can build up to it. Not be sick of it before December even begins.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Agreed. Christmas should run annually from 20-26 Dec. Anybody caught in a Christmas mood outside these dates should be made to dress like Santa all year round.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The problem is that the only decent alternative Christmas song is by the Pogues. Personally, I love all the old school stuff, Dean Martin et al. Gets me smoozhing with the boozing.

As above though, really hate Xmas starting sometime soon after Easter.
  • That pogues song is great and Ill have no axe to grind with that one, but the rest of the schtick every year has just gotten sickening beyond the limits of decency for me.If I had my way the yearly ole chestnuts would be buried in the ground, concrete poured over them and never see the light of day again.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260

Yes and no, I love all of it although I do agree that sometimes these things start a little too early but this close to Christmas I'll listen to it all day long 8)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Be thankful you aren't the ones working in the shops, they must have been driven stark raving mad by the 25th.
  • The ones I have heard the most so far this year are 'I wish it could be Xmas every day' by Roy Wood/Wizard and 'Mistletoe and Wine' by Cliff. I wish I had written the Wizard one, I bet Roy Wood has a very comfortable retirement from it!

As per the previous post, I'm just thankful I'm not working in a shop this time of year. My local Tescos seems to have the same five or so Xmas songs playing loudly on a loop every time I go in there.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474

1.Yes, 100%.
    2. It's a song, get a grip.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Are you sick and tired of happy birthday too!?
  • Are you sick and tired of happy birthday too!?

People generally don't play it to you continuously for 2 months prior to the actal day though.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I wish I had written the Wizard one, I bet Roy Wood has a very comfortable retirement from it!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -year.html
  • My niece was solo pits for a choir and did a beautiful Christmas Lullaby (the John Rutter one).

If you haven't heard it I can thoroughly recommend it.

All other Christmas songs should be banned.
  • Nah, I like the Christmas songs, but agreed that they shouldn't be played until at least a week into December.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    XFactor
    Living MY dream.
  • If you don't go shopping, and don't listen the radio in your car, you don't hear them. Online shopping rules. I think I've heard 3 so far this year while in Tesco.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Apart from the Pogues, I agree that Xmas songs are shite. But there again, I am a miserable git who is sickened by the false gaiety and false bonhomie of the 'festive season'. Can't wait for it to be over with.
  • This may be more to,the OP's liking ...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=avX_tM-2Tt ... vX_tM-2Tt8
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWKN-EYFxbs

This is the only song with the word Christmas in it that I like, its Spinal Tap "Christmas with The Devil" and this song really kicks big time ar$e.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    ......I bet Roy Wood has a very comfortable retirement from it! ......

Don't know about Roy Wood, but I read that Noddy Holder gets £800k a year in royalties for the Slade one, Shaky gets £500 for his. I'll see if I can dig the article out.

Perhaps we all need to start writing Christmas singles....
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    At least you will have the same run of sh*te films and re runs that you have to avoid every year, to take your mind off the songs.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Give me the same old Christmas songs. Radio 2, the EPO's preference, have been playing Leone Bleedin' Lewis every morning recently so I wind up riding to work with her still screeching in my head. The same old dross is vastly preferable to that.
    The EPO loves her Christmas songs, she asked me where I'd hidden the Christmas cds at the end of November. I told her I hadn't hidden them, they were in the loft with the decorations where they belonged.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I've hardly heard any this year.

But then again I haven't been to the shops, nor listened to any commercial radio. Simples.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    BigJimmyB wrote:
    ......I bet Roy Wood has a very comfortable retirement from it! ......

Don't know about Roy Wood, but I read that Noddy Holder gets £800k a year in royalties for the Slade one, Shaky gets £500 for his. I'll see if I can dig the article out.

Perhaps we all need to start writing Christmas singles....

IT'S the real-life version of About A Boy - a songwriter pens a festive hit and decades later is still raking in over $1.5 million a year in royalties.
    Welcome to the world of glam rocker Noddy Holder, writer of Britain's most profitable Christmas hit, Merry Xmas Everybody.
    In the film version of Nick Hornby's novel, Hugh Grant's character lives a cashed-up lifestyle due to substantial royalties from Santa's Super Sleigh, a song written by his father.
    Unencumbered by a job, he is able to spend his days reading up on pop culture, buying cool clothes and attending to his personal grooming.
    For glam rocker Noddy Holder, a lifetime lived from the riches of pop royalties is no Christmas fairytale - it's reality.
    His 1973 song Merry Xmas Everybody is top of the Christmas song list when it comes to pulling in the royalties, according to the website Prezzybox.com.
    Holder, 67, singer and guitarist of the glam rock band Slade, co-wrote the festive hit with keyboardist Jim Lea.
    Virtually unknown in Australia, Merry Xmas Everybody is ubiquitous in Britain at this time of year, popping up on TV, radio and compilation albums.
    The never-ending popularity of the song has left Holder laughing all the way to the bank.
    According to Prezzybox, The Pogues' Christmas classic Fairytale of New York comes in at second place, earning $940,000 a year.
    Mariah Carey comes in at third place, with All I Want For Christmas likely to earn $820,000 in 2013.
    Living MY dream.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    Some of them are absolutely dire, and get switched off in the opening bars.

"Driving home for Christmas" by Chris Rea is one of these. I get the feeling that he had a lot of success with "Road to Hell", the year before and thought "Lets see, what christmas song can I write with the following elements in it; driving, road, lights?"

Others I look forward to hearing again. It's not officially Christmas for me until I've heard Greg Lake, "I believe in Father Christmas", not everyone's cup of tea but I care not a jot.

The older I get, the better I was.

• To you lot defending the xmas drivel, if I told you a joke, and then told you it again, and told you it again, and told you it again you would be driven into a rage and its the same for those bloody songs ....the same bloody songs that are played out, had their day, beat to death that are a red flag to a bull for many many people out there.

The tv will be chock a block of beat to death shows like Morecambe and wise 1975 xmas special , crap 70`s sitcoms, on the buses, The Wizard of Oz, The sound of music, Home Alone and a horde of abysmal santa films with crying blonde haired kids. One big shovel, one huge hole and id willingly bury a huge load of utter mediocrity , concrete it over and never have to listen or watch them ever again.

If only someone would change the record or change the videotape, there are only so many times that festive dreck is entertaining and they are all so long past their sell by date.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    To you lot defending the xmas drivel, if I told you a joke, and then told you it again, and told you it again, and told you it again you would be driven into a rage and its the same for those bloody songs ....the same bloody songs that are played out, had their day, beat to death that are a red flag to a bull for many many people out there.

The tv will be chock a block of beat to death shows like Morecambe and wise 1975 xmas special , crap 70`s sitcoms, on the buses, The Wizard of Oz, The sound of music, Home Alone and a horde of abysmal santa films with crying blonde haired kids. One big shovel, one huge hole and id willingly bury a huge load of utter mediocrity , concrete it over and never have to listen or watch them ever again.

If only someone would change the record or change the videotape, there are only so many times that festive dreck is entertaining and they are all so long past their sell by date.
    You have just raised my enjoyment of Christmas music to a new level! :P
    Encore!
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • To you lot defending the xmas drivel, if I told you a joke, and then told you it again, and told you it again, and told you it again you would be driven into a rage and its the same for those bloody songs ....

As I have the memory of a goldfish, I would probably laugh every time. If it was funny. Which it probably wouldn't be. :shock:
  • Here's my favourite Christmas song of the last few years..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N4YPD28kgU
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,199
    Christmas is one of the busiest times of year for a man in the waste 'management bizness'. It isn't a holiday for me. It is a logistical nightmare. Loved Christmas ion Sweden with the snow reflecting the streetlights and candles on doorsteps, smorgasbord, wood fires and stone cold Vodka.

I am a bit on the fence about Christmas. I don't believe in god. The Virgin Mary was a wishfull thinker. Those Christmas songs grate my spine. The nights are dark and dreary. The shops are full of people hell bent on spending as much as they can on stuff they can't afford which 4/5ths of will be thrown away, given away or returned. They get white knuckled with their shopping trolleys and get overcome with some sort of fever catalysed by banal Christmas songs playing in the background. The late and much missed Mr Milligan called it 'Musak'. It's shyte. The Pogues song is good but that's about it. .
    I would much prefer a pagan ritual of food, drink and lots of people around to celebrate the winter solstice and the beginning of the days getting longer.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!