Central Heating Engineers Advice needed

DCR00
DCR00 Posts: 2,160
edited December 2013 in The hub
Morning all

Worth a go. I'm sure there must be some on here given the amount of tradesmen i see at Degla/Antur/Cannock whenever i go

Moved into a new house back in July. It has a different central heating/hot water system that I haven't used before. We were a bit careless with programming it, and quite often have the hot water on at the same time as the heating. Long story short, our latest bill from Eon was just over £600 (for 3 months), which is twice what it should have been.

We have a flomax cylinder in a cupboard upstairs that feeds both the HW and heating. No immersion that i can see. Boiler in the kitchen downstairs.

Most of the bill was electric, which i was surprised about. So my question is, could the flomax cylinder be causing the increase in electric use if we were a bit lax about having the HW and heating on at the same time ?

I've since changed when the HW and heating come on so that we aren't heating water when we don't need to, but any general advice/tips on operating a system like this would be appreciated.

Cheers

DCR

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Seems like the key might be what kind of flowmax you have: http://www.range-cylinders.co.uk/product-flowmax.html
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • DCR00
    Its the same one as in that pic

looks a little different in that the insulation is a different colour, but apart from that, its the same
  • Is the immersion heater permenantly switched on?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • DCR00
    No immersion

I've just checked the bill in detail and they have charged us for 4 months of electric and 3 months of gas, hence why the electric part is bigger

Which is a relief as it starting to drive me mad trying to think of what was nailing the electric