Sparticus drops Speedplay

ginsterdrz
ginsterdrz Posts: 128
edited December 2013 in Pro race
Apparently the tough one is clipped into Shimano pedals next year:

http://m.cyclingnews.com/features/first ... e-6-series

Sponser pressure?

Comments

• It would be interesting to hear any comment he may have on this.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,590
    Makes no difference.

Matters more for the average recreational rider since 90% of what makes or breaks a pedal is getting in and out which most pro riders when racing will do once at the start and once after they've finished.
  • Still using mechanical though...
  • Remember Speedplay made some claims about saving 33 seconds per hour against their competitors. So Cancellara will be at least 3 minutes slower for next year's Paris Roubaix.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I agree with Rick, once you're in them it doesn't make a blind bit of difference.
  • Don't agree. Speedplay have a free float whereas Time and Shimano (not sure about Look, haven't used them for ages) and a centred float. Also Time have lateral as well as rotational float. They don't all feel the same once clipped in.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    If you're lucky enough to have a perfectly symmetrical pedalling action, with a "neutral" hip/leg/foot alignment, you'll probably find you could switch from one pedal system to another and readily adapt. If not, you'll almost certainly notice the difference and have a natural favourite. The large number of hours most pro's get to ride will help them smooth out any issues they have in adapting...
  • I agree. Was Shimano for years and then developed knee discomfort. Went to Speedplay and my issues disappeared. I nipped back to Shimano and my knee cried enough! Back to Speedplay and gone again-doh.

I don't have the benefit of professional bike set up though-I'm probably doing it all wrong!!!
  • I've used both, generally got knee pain with any kind of pedal with small amounts of float, like Shimano, Time, Look etc but since switching to Speedplay i've not had any. Thats not to say the other pedals are rubbish, its more likely my knees and legs need a bit more help these days :)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,590
    Ginsterdrz wrote:
    I agree. Was Shimano for years and then developed knee discomfort. Went to Speedplay and my issues disappeared. I nipped back to Shimano and my knee cried enough! Back to Speedplay and gone again-doh.

I don't have the benefit of professional bike set up though-I'm probably doing it all wrong!!!

Exactly. A lot of pro riders ride shimano so I'd be surprised if they were as bad as everyone says. A good settup should eradicate any problems.

Canc is expensive to sponsor!