Split link problems

Cqc
Cqc Posts: 951
edited December 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi
I need to split my chain and I have a pair of 9 speed kmc split links which won't come apart. I have looked online, but the problems most people have are with pushing the 2 links together, which I can do easily bare handed, but then on YouTube, etc. the two links just seem to come apart and slide off the male ends of the normal chain, and each other with no problem whereas mine don't budge? Am I doing anything wrong? Any help would be great, thanks. I use SRAM btw.

Comments

• Bend the chain round the link so it is a U with the link on the bottom, then push each opposite corner with some mole grips pushing it the correct way.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I use long nose pliers on opposite sides of stiff power links. It's virtually compulsory on 10 speed sram.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Cqc
    So you need two separate pliers at the same time?
  • Nope, just the one.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    TBH I find it much easier just to use the proper tool. They aren't expensive: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XLC-CHAIN-LIN ... 1231169033
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you can push them together just give a little twist.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Cqc
    Sorry, I think there is a misunderstanding here: I have no problem pushing them together, but then they just won't budge, a 'little twist' isn't doing anything. Is there anything else?
  • Cqc wrote:
    Sorry, I think there is a misunderstanding here: I have no problem pushing them together, but then they just won't budge, a 'little twist' isn't doing anything. Is there anything else?

Get the correct tool.
    TBH I find it much easier just to use the proper tool. They aren't expensive: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XLC-CHAIN-LIN ... 1231169033
    Community police have been on the look out for a vandal by the name of \'The Elusive Lout\'. Any information you could give would be gratefully received.
  • Cqc
    But all that tool does is push the two together, which I can do without it...
  • Cqc wrote:
    But all that tool does is push the two together, which I can do without it...
    I have never known a split link/power link/whatever to not come apart after the link pins have been pushed together so they sit in the larger part of the cut away. This is because they had to go through the cut away to be installed.

If this is indeed your problem then I fear your best solution will be to cut the plates and prise them apart with pliers and fit a new link. (Or you could try pushing them out with a chain tool, as long as you're comfortable possibly ruining the chain tool.)
    Community police have been on the look out for a vandal by the name of \'The Elusive Lout\'. Any information you could give would be gratefully received.
  • Cqc
    :( I guess I'll split the link with the chain tool somewhere else but mine is broken so I'll have to get a new one...
  • I'd remove the offending link if it was me, it's only going to cause you problems in the future. New split links are less than £2.50.
  • I second the suggestion to buy the proper tool. I find the ceramic lube I use makes the quick link impossible to separate, however after buying the correct tool it comes apart with ease. Really helps once you can get the proper grip on the links.
    Whyte 29-CS • Canyon Ultimate • #CCWMTB • Strava Profile