Lefty fork seized / won't unlock

swilburn79
swilburn79 Posts: 6
edited December 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys New to the site but after some advice if anyone would be so kind. I ride a 4 month old cannondale flash 2 29er with the lefty fork which has worked perfectly for the 500 miles I have covered on it. Last ride was Thursday night and all was working well. When I went to the bike this morning to go for a blast the fork was locked out but the adjuster made no diifference. What could be causing this and is there an easy cure?
Many thanks
Steve

Comments

• Easiest cure is to take it back to the shop you got it from. They'll find out what the problem is and if it's 4 months old they shouldn't charge you for it. It may be something very simple. We've not had any issues with the lefties we've sold on various cannondales.

Touch wood.
    Community police have been on the look out for a vandal by the name of \'The Elusive Lout\'. Any information you could give would be gratefully received.
  • Thanks for the response. It was mail order from Paul's cycles and it's one hell of a trek. Plus I need the bike for a ride tomorrow :-( I can ride it locked out but not sure this recommended off road due to excess stress etc
  • Without having it in front of me I wouldn't want to say anything. Last thing either of us want is for me to suggest something and then you damage your fork further and invalidate your warranty. I hate to say it, but this is the drawback of not buying local.

You could put out a shout on your facebook/text some of your mates to see if any of your friends mind having a look at it. If you don't trust them to not damage something though just play it safe and take it to your local cannondale dealer. As they're not the ones who sold it to you they'll likely charge you for any work done.
    Community police have been on the look out for a vandal by the name of \'The Elusive Lout\'. Any information you could give would be gratefully received.
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    Bit more info please... if you have the flash 2 you probably have a Lefty PBR? If it is the PBR what happens when you press the red/blue buttons at the top of the fork - do they depress or are they both stuck, or, is there just no reaction when you do press them?

If they are stuck - I have a PBR, 2012 model, and had a problem with those buttons sticking... the problem was an accumulation of trail dirt in/under the mechanism, that part really isn't sealed well. I first made sure that there was no air in the fork and then simply removed both buttons (allen bolt in blue button), gently blew out with compressed air, cleaned both buttons, oiled, re-assembled and re-inflated... worked a treat.

If they depress but don't do anything something else is wrong... in which case take it in to be checked.
  • Yes it's the 2012 Lefty 29'er PBR 90mm OPI Solo Air
    The red adjuster on top of the fork rotates but is not a button unless I am mistaken.
    I will go and check it out. It just seems strange as was working fine and after standing for a few days is now rock solid. It's worth noting that the adjuster never locked the fork out anyway. I will take to the bike shop tomorrow before I head over to cannock chase
    Thanks for advice
  • miceden
    *scratches head*... weird...I have the exact fork and both the red and blue buttons depress:

- pushing the blue button down takes the red down with it and locks the fork;
    - pushing the red (after the forks been locked) pops the red & blue button back up and unlocks the fork;
    - red rotates clock/anti-clockwise to adjust the rebound

How did you luck/unlock the fork before?
  • It never locked and I never really needed it locked. Maybe I'm been a thicket and have locked it out not knowing that the buttons pressed in DOH! Will let you know and thanks!
  • miceden wrote:
    *scratches head*... weird...I have the exact fork and both the red and blue buttons depress:

- pushing the blue button down takes the red down with it and locks the fork;
    - pushing the red (after the forks been locked) pops the red & blue button back up and unlocks the fork;
    - red rotates clock/anti-clockwise to adjust the rebound

How did you luck/unlock the fork before?

Sorted mate thanks! I never knew they presses in and depressed. Well impressed with the fork and bike. Nice one dude
  • miceden
    No problem!