Defy zero cassette

Fil6914
Fil6914 Posts: 74
edited December 2013 in Road beginners
Hi guys

Need a little advice please, I'm struggling up the hills at the moment so thought about getting a 12-30 cassette to help me up until my fitness levels improve to be able to drop back down to the 12-28.

My question, is it just a matter of swapping over the cassette without any other adjustment or is it more involved than that ?

Thanks Phil
Road - Giant Defy 0
Road - carrera virtuoso
MTB - Kona cindercone MTB 1997

Comments

• elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    I have a defy 4 and I swapped to a 12-30 cassette no trouble. I will say that mine has shimano 2300 rear mech and is 8 speed .Maybe what you have might not go the extra, though from a 28-30 isn,t that big a jump.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • I would agree with the above post.

I have used one with an Ultegra set up no problems.

The only problem you might have is if you ever went into 50t front and 30t back, but this should not really be a problem.

I have a 30/12 Tiagra cassette with no more than 100 miles use with original box if you want to make me an offer
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Agree, it won't be a problem. Technically you'd add a link to the chain, but you'd get away without I think.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Yes it will work, I swopped my 12-28T for a 12-30T CS-4600 Cassette on my bike. You will need to adjust the B Tension screw to achieve the correct clearance between the 30T sprocket and the upper guide pulley wheel of the rear derailleur. I did not add any extra links to my chain as I never use the Large F - Large R combination.
  • mabbo
    mabbo Posts: 117
    Fil6914 wrote:
    Hi guys

Need a little advice please, I'm struggling up the hills at the moment so thought about getting a 12-30 cassette to help me up until my fitness levels improve to be able to drop back down to the 12-28.

My question, is it just a matter of swapping over the cassette without any other adjustment or is it more involved than that ?

Thanks Phil
    When I started back on the road three years ago, with a compact 50/34 and a 12 /27 on a defy 1, I was struggling on the hills. Now, three years on, I use my old hack for winter riding,(Giant Speeder, steel frame, 53/39 and an 11 / 23). And I ride up the same hills. Maybe not as fast as with the compact, but then it is winter. My point being, don't change your cassette, change your mindset. If it hurts, take a rest. If your slow, don't worry, you'll speed up. If you know your route has a hill coming up, take a drink, take a break if you need, start in a small gear and spin all the way to the top. You'll be suprised how quickly you will improve.
  • the 30t cog isn't that much of a jump from the old 28t cog anyway.