chain guide with front derailleur?

Cave_Dweller
Cave_Dweller Posts: 114
edited December 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm wanting to fit a chain guide to my FS bike but I'm not wanting to go with only one chainring at the front. I'm wanting to keep the inner one for climbing but get a slightly bigger middle ring than the 32tooth one I have at the moment. Are there any chain guides that will allow me to only use my two inner rings along with a bash guard. Aslo, will a 22-38t be too much of a step up for the two inner rings or will I be better off getting a 26t inner ring so it's not so much of a task to change onto the 38t middle ring?

Cheers

Comments

• There are a myriad, check out the offerings from all the big players, e-13, mrp, gamut. All you'll need to know next is what ISCG tabs you have.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/4076091/
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/4076092/
    Community police have been on the look out for a vandal by the name of \'The Elusive Lout\'. Any information you could give would be gratefully received.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not aware of any upper elements you can use with a front mech - it is chainguide itself anyway, worth considering something like the stinger as a lower guide though.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Blackspire Stinger or Bionicon c-guide are the usual suspects for double-ring setups.
    Like the rookie said, nothing with an upper guide, as that's only to use instead of a derailleur, and therfore only for single-ring setups.

As for chainring size, 14T step-up is usually recommended. 22/36 works well, and gives you loads of options on what make/model chainrings to use. Check out the SLX double-specific derailleur, too - optimised for a 36/22 double and makes the chain a litle bit more secure on top than just dropping a tripple mech down as far as you can.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Also the double mechs are lighter, my Deore was just 124g!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks I'll check them out. I forgot how much I used to like buying bits for my bikes lol, it's been a long time and the prices of everything has shot up in the last 5years since I used to ride all the time.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Thanks I'll check them out. I forgot how much I used to like buying bits for my bikes lol, it's been a long time and the prices of everything has shot up in the last 5years since I used to ride all the time.

keep an eye on ebay and bide your time. I picked up my SLX mech for £6.50 and a Stinger for £7.50 - both including postage. :D
  • jimothy78 wrote:
    Thanks I'll check them out. I forgot how much I used to like buying bits for my bikes lol, it's been a long time and the prices of everything has shot up in the last 5years since I used to ride all the time.

keep an eye on ebay and bide your time. I picked up my SLX mech for £6.50 and a Stinger for £7.50 - both including postage. :D

Aye I use Ebay a lot. I don't know whether I'd want to order stuff to be delivered this time of year anyway. Think I'll wait till after Xmas and the rush. It's just more time for my shopping list to get bigger, it's already going to hit me bad lol. Also buying bits to build up my old hard tail frame for some jump/street riding.