Whyte Sussex or Genesis CDF ?

laughingontheinside
edited December 2013 in Commuting chat
Narrowed my search for a new commuter down to these two. I've ridden to work(all road) for the last three years on a Genesis Day One which has been faultless in every way. However, having also used the Day One as a weekend winter bike and the single gear starting to grate when riding into what seems to be a permanent headwind, I now feel the need for gears :?. The obvious choice would be the CDF(not Croix De Fer) as it is basically the same geometry etc as the Day One but with gears. This was my initial choice until I spotted the Whyte Sussex in my LBS. It looks a really nice bike, can take a 28mm tyres with guards (and possibly bigger by the look of it) and weighs less than the CDF. I've looked at other options like the Kaffenback 2(weight), Ribble Audax(only takes 23mm tyres with guards), Dolan Preffisio(23mm tyre with guards) etc and none of these really grab me for the reasons I've mentioned. Both the Whyte and Genesis are available from my LBS so no problems there. I was hoping for any input from people who may ride the Whyte Sussex or any other road bike in their range. My Day One has smashed it's way through everything that the British roads can throw at it but I'm wondering if a slightly lighter more road orientated bike would be any less bombproof. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Well, main difference between the two is that the Whyte is an aluminium frame whereas the CDF is steel - in theory this may mean that the Whyte has a slightly harsher ride but in practice the difference will come down to a lot of other factors (wheels, tyres, frame design etc) and as you've already stated it is that bit lighter which kinda offsets the harsher ride.

Honestly, I think both the Sussex and the CDF are, if not exactly bombproof, certainly on the commuter/cross end of the road bike spectrum so ought hold up well to what British conditions can throw up - you shouldn't need to be concerned, although obviously with gear maintenance you are opening a whole new can of worms that you've been able to avoid thus far.

I think given you appear to be buying from your LBS, a test ride of both is definitely in order, although the ride will be affected by the fact that the CDF comes with cyclocross/offroad tyres, which are likely to give a slower, softer ride (as well as make the bike heavier), whereas the Sussex comes with road tyres, which should roll a bit quicker but with a somewhat harsher ride.

I think if you do get the CDF you'll want to put some proper road tyres on it anyway for your commute, so it might be worth negotiating a test ride with some road tyres in order that you can get the fair comparison.

Other thing to check is the brakes on the Sussex - they're a bit less well known than very common and decently regarded Avid BB5, so might be worth checking they're up to standard for you.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Have you taken the Whyte for a test ride? I did and suffered from bad heel strike on the rear brake. So bad that I cut my test ride short (2 minutesish) because it was so badly out of the running.

If you are buying a bike to be a work horse rather than a show pony, then don't overly stress about the weight. Have a dump before you get on the bike and save yourself a few hundred quid or for the same money buy a bike with better components.

If you are buying a bike to race, then of course weight is an issue. Most people should lose some from themselves before they weigh their bike though.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • The brakes on the Suffolk are really good. I've been running the HYRD brakes on my crosser and find them fantastic for commuting. The heel strike issue will be down to the bike design not the brake design as they have a small profile. Test ride it you may not have an issue.

As for weight well it will make a big difference to how the bike feels and you will feel it mostly on the hills. The go for a dump statement is not relevant.

I've found modern aluminium frames to be very comfortable not harsh at all. Test ride both and see which one you prefer.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I have no comment on the quality of the Whyte's brakes, just the placement of the rear caliper. I originally wanted a bike with the rear caliper inside the rear triangle but after riding the Whyte and reading reviews online I abandoned that idea.

I was being a bit silly about taking a dump before going for a ride, but the weight isn't that big a factor for me. I made a post in the Boardman CX Owners thread comparing the weight of the Boardman with my Kaffenback when I'm commuting:
    EKE wrote:
    Boardman's own website says the 2014 CX Team in medium without pedals is 10.43kg. My large Kaffenback is 11.39kg with pedals and water bottle holder. The Boardman is 0.96kg (or 8.4% lighter) but that is comparing a medium Boardman with a large Kaffenback.
    I weigh about 83kg. Add 12kg for my bike & full water bottle and about 5kg for my rucksack (I have to carry tools, paperwork and 9 Hi-viz vests for work) and you have an all up weight of about 100kg.
    Replace my Kaffenback with the CX Team and that is about 99kg.

That 8.4% bike weight saving is now about 1% all up weight saving (remember, comparing a medium CX Team to a large Kaffenback).
    Big deal. If it bothers you that much, have a dump before leaving for work!!

Obviously, a lighter bike is better than a heavier bike, but don't be a weight weenie on a commuting bike.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • buccal
    buccal Posts: 53
    Glad to hear you have been happy with the Day One.

I originally bought a BMC GF02 disc to commute on but am currently keeping it for off-road weekend rides.

Currently fighting the temptation to squeeze a day one disc into the garage to commute on instead.