Is my crank goosed?

Kiliscott
Kiliscott Posts: 82
edited December 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello there, I assumed a noise on my crank was from the crank but I wasn't 100% sure so I took it in my LBS for further investigation. He said my bottom bracket was about gone and my pedals were knackered, I knew about my pedals were anyway. It needed a service after a rough few months riding so I booked it in for a full strip down and new bottom bracket. A week later I collected it and got back, fitted my new v8s and hey, noise is still there. When I hold my crank arms there's a lot of movement and the noise only creaks when I put pressure down on the left pedal! here's a video I recorded earlier....... http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wZvtTqT7CFI Regards scott.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What bike, cranks and bottom bracket?
  • Sorry knew I should of added. Carbon 456, shimano Bb, truvativ crank, previous bb was hope.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not enough info I am afraid - need model numbers of crank and bb.
  • All I know is the bb is a hollow tech 2 and the crank truvatic gxp. Can I help you with photos or is there a number somewhere on crank?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    GXP and Hollowtech II are not compatible as far as I know?
    Different non-drive side spindle diameters: GXP tapers from 24mm to 22mm whereas HTII is 24mm.
    Your left crank therefore won't tighten properly onto the bb spindle.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • A little bit researching from the above comment shows my truvativ noir xc 3.3 gxp is not compatible with the hollowtech 2 or the hope BB hence the noise before hand and now. I see the NDS is a different size, hence the looseness and horrible noise. Let's just hope I haven't damaged any of the crank. I'll get a gxp bottom bracket and try that.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Kiliscott wrote:
    A little bit researching from the above comment shows my truvativ noir xc 3.3 gxp is not compatible with the hollowtech 2 or the hope BB hence the noise before hand and now. I see the NDS is a different size, hence the looseness and horrible noise. Let's just hope I haven't damaged any of the crank. I'll get a gxp bottom bracket and try that.
    Kiliscott wrote:
    ... I took it in my LBS for further investigation. He said my bottom bracket was about gone......I booked it in for a full strip down and new bottom bracket. A week later I collected it and got back, fitted my new v8s and hey, noise is still there.

And a new LBS while you're at it. What a numpty. Or just DIY.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    That is a shocking mistake. I think Hope do adapters for the Truative cranks. You are best though with a GXP BB.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Hope adapters are £8.25 from CRC, probably cheaper elsewhere.
    I've used them successfully as the last thing I wanted was another GXP BB.