Would you?

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,388
edited December 2013 in Commuting chat
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 05422.html

I know I bring this on my self but the comments below the article bring me down more than any article about blue paint or even people getting killed...
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• It looks like the children have seatbelts on in there. Why are people so up in arms about this? Biking is so much better for the entire Earth than driving a car. I would bet it is much less dangerous too. People are so afraid of anything outside of the status quo. Yes I would.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I'd have one. I came close to buying an electric assist one in the summer. I think they are a great idea.

Can't see the comments on mobile.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • I have to add that biking in NL is a totally different experience than in the UK. Bikes are their own class of transport and are treated as such with entirely dedicated paths and traffic lights and priority in a number of situations (not least of all that many side roads in NL have to actually cross the footpath and bike path in order to reach the main road. The infrastructure has also grown up to be bike-focused: whether that's small and frequent supermarkets or free secure underground bike parking at train stations. But, yes, these Bakfiets are incredibly popular in a country where two kids on a regular bike is pretty common and only Lycra-clad roadies wear helmets. They are a slight nuisance because they take up some much space either parked or moving. Even in Cambridge, I'm not sure I'd fancy one - apart from the traffic, even Castle Hill must take quite some effort.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    The problem I have with these and anything similar like trailers or tag alongs is that you put the child in a very low and potentially vulnerable position, bikes are often harder for motorists to see anyway and being that low down a child would be even harder to see.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • arran77 wrote:
    The problem I have with these and anything similar like trailers or tag alongs is that you put the child in a very low and potentially vulnerable position, bikes are often harder for motorists to see anyway and being that low down a child would be even harder to see.

These sort of bikes and trailers tend be easer to see if nothing else from the what is that aspect.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Indeed, although both the Trek trailer & tag-along that I used with my children had fluoro flags on long poles for added visibility.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I have to add that biking in NL is a totally different experience than in the UK. Bikes are their own class of transport and are treated as such with entirely dedicated paths and traffic lights and priority in a number of situations (not least of all that many side roads in NL have to actually cross the footpath and bike path in order to reach the main road. The infrastructure has also grown up to be bike-focused: whether that's small and frequent supermarkets or free secure underground bike parking at train stations. But, yes, these Bakfiets are incredibly popular in a country where two kids on a regular bike is pretty common and only Lycra-clad roadies wear helmets. They are a slight nuisance because they take up some much space either parked or moving. Even in Cambridge, I'm not sure I'd fancy one - apart from the traffic, even Castle Hill must take quite some effort.

I see them regularly in Cambridge, but have to be honest ,never seen one of those going uphill!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • There's a family in my road that use a 'box/cargo' bike to transport their 3 young kids around, and I'l always impressed that they do not simply use a car like most others. Obviously these machines are not the solution for all transport needs, but if it means local journeys - to and from school, the shops etc - can be made without resorting to a Chelsea Tractor then that can only be a good thing surely?
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"