Recalls

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited December 2013 in Commuting chat
Holey Moley - just how many brake recalls are there just now?

TRP - Spyre
Bontrager on Trek Madones (5.2 upwards)
and now SRAM with its hydraulic road brakes

WTF are these guys all doing? Don't get me wrong - I work in Quality for some big organisations and we've had our fair share of issues but, again, to be fair they are medical and therefore super-critical of even the tiniest issue. All these brake failures seem catastrophic and fundamental. And it's not as if bike brakes are either novel or complex.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I can see that the brakes are being rushed to market. Not sure about the Madones.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Does seem strange. I'm glad I got my BB7s, old and proven design. Several others have been released since then but it seems they have been rushed. I think the Spyres it said they ciuld move too far with worn out pads so the balls could fall out. Surely checking operation at the limit of travel is a fairly obvious thing to look at. The Sram hydraulics are suffering seal failure in freezing conditions. Presumably Avid hydraulics don't do this and they are the same company. They must know what materials to use.
    Glad I'm not an early uptaker this time.
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    Ah bugger, mine are only now starting to bed-in, and just read new stock won't be available until after xmas! Think I'll hold on for a bit before returning them.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    If they are Spyres just make sure you have plenty of pad material and replace them early if necessary. You could then use part worn pads once the problem is fixed.
    I would strongly recommend checking my information is correct first though.
  • rubertoe
    Shimano had an issue with their CX mechanical discs earlier in the year as well..

They affected the BR - 515 if i recall.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    rubertoe wrote:
    Shimano had an issue with their CX mechanical discs earlier in the year as well..

They affected the BR - 515 if i recall.
    both the road and cx mechanicals. Had to send mine back.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Veronese68 wrote:
    If they are Spyres just make sure you have plenty of pad material and replace them early if necessary. You could then use part worn pads once the problem is fixed.
    Yep, no intention whatsoever of returning mine now, with the Nationals in 4 weeks and 5 other races and lots of training before that. Plenty of spare pads in the race bag, and if one of them does go bang I'll still have more stopping power than the guy next to me with cantis...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    my tekro lyra seem to fail pretty catastrophically when the pads are really worn - the levers touch the bars with a clunk and you get no braking force at all (of course I found this out on a steep descent). I was thinking about replacing them with TPP HY-RD cable/hydraulics when I am feeling a bit more flush with cash.
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    Veronese68 wrote:

Yeah I have the Spyres. I checked the info on TRP site and the problem seems to be with worn pads when firmly compressed. I'm a very light on the brakes, plus the pads are more or less new so should be fine until after xmas.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The SRAM recall is pretty unforgivable, it's not like people haven't been making master cylinders for bikes for a fair while, or like riding in the cold is unusual, stinks of SRAM rushing stuff to market just to beat Shimano, 19,000 units recalled and no fix available yet
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • tgotb
    indyP wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Yeah I have the Spyres. I checked the info on TRP site and the problem seems to be with worn pads when firmly compressed. I'm a very light on the brakes, plus the pads are more or less new so should be fine until after xmas.
    I think I actually experienced the Spyre failure yesterday. Forgot that I still had the original (fast-wearing) pads in the rear, and wore them right down in a muddy race. The inside piston stopped moving, preventing the brake from working, but since I'd felt the pad wear out anyway, I didn't realise it had failed until after the race. From that perspective, the failure was no worse than having a pad wear out (though this post is NOT a suggestion for anyone else to go out and do the same thing).

Took about 10 minutes to fix; I replaced the pads, loosened the big Torx bolts on the side, lubricated and wiggled, and everything seemed to pop back into place. I've switched to the same sintered pads I have on the front, and will be keeping a close eye on pad wear, but not concerned about finishing the season before I send them back.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rubertoe
    TGOTB.

I think that there is a big difference between having a brake fail in a muddy field than on a decent in traffic, i know that you suggest that this is your view and you are not condoning the actions but should you not heed the advice given?

Get some BB7's and a refund...

• tgotb
    Given that I'm only actually going to be riding this bike in a muddy field, and the failure only seems to happen when the pads wear out (by which time the brake is ineffective anyway), I'm happy to take the risk; bear in mind that most of the field are still on cantis, which only really work in an advisory capacity anyway. If I find myself with significant pad wear in both brakes I'll take a view as to whether it's sensible to continue, but I'm risking a DNF rather than a major crash. I have plenty of spare pads in the race bag, I'll chuck in a pair of old BB7s too...

If I was commuting on the bike, I'd have thrown the BB7s on as soon as I heard about the recall.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rubertoe
    sensible approach

Canti's suck.

• Holey Moley - just how many brake recalls are there just now?

I would hope than manufacturers would continue to recall faulty brakes until they stop, to recall faulty gears until they change, and gilets until they are shown to be armless.
    :roll:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • tgotb
    I did hear about one manufacturer trying to recall a particular model of stem, but the distributor put a bar on it.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    There was another that was going to recall some wheels, but never got round to it.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Then there was the saddle recall - they sat on that one for a long time ...
  • The Rookie
    They got cranky over the chainset recall and whipped up a frenzy over the faulty cassettes, worn down over the tyres and felt deflated with the tubes......

Back on topic, the Spyre failure isn't in the same league as the sudden catastrophic loss of brakes reported on the SRAM.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • tgotb
    The Rookie wrote:
    Back on topic, the Spyre failure isn't in the same league as the sudden catastrophic loss of brakes reported on the SRAM.
    I agree. By the time it happened to mine, the brake had become unusable anyway due to pad wear. In the worst case scenario I might not have been able to get it working again with new pads, but that's inconvenient rather than dangerous.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • The Rookie
    Very nice play on words there!

No detail of a recall though!