First time I've ever seen the police help the cyclists

jibberish
jibberish Posts: 151
edited December 2013 in Commuting general
I've been cycling through London daily for the last 7 years. Today was the first time I ever saw the police favour the cyclists. A rare treat - and sad that it's taken the recent events in London to bring this about.

I was on my way home and travelling through Putney. I pulled up to the lights just past the ASL at the main cross roads junction near the Railway Pub: here

The lights are red and a car pulls up alongside me crossing the ASL. 2 police right there - and I thought here we go - nothing will happen. I was amazed - I was completely wrong.

The police took his number and told him to pull over at the other side of the junction.

I thanked the police as did another cyclist next to me. The policeman told me that they'd been there 30 minutes and already pulled 20 over for crossing the ASL.

I'm fairly certain that I've read that no motorist has ever previously been stopped / fined for crossing the ASL. The police won't publish the stats - they're bundled in with other offences which hide that this never happens. When they get asked why nobody has been done on camera - they hide behind that old line about "oh well if they cross the ASL when the lights are green and then get stuck when they turn red - then that's not illegal."

Seeing this is a first for me. Never felt like they would do anything other than pull cyclists for RLJ. Hope this continues. Maybe someone might even get done for texting whilst overtaking cyclists. :-)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Crossing the ASL is the same offending as jumping a red light, so of course you can't tell which is which.

By the sounds of it you also exited the Box across the second stop line on red, also a criminal offence?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I stopped within the box - no offences whatsoever on my part. The only person at fault was the car driver.

I'm not sure I for your post - Rookie...
  • Well I was commuting into work recently down a dual carriageway when I ran over a banding strip that took out my back tyre, tube and mud guard. The tyre had a massive hole in the sidewall that punctured my spare tube. I was trying to figure out what to do next when a police car went past, pulled over and offered me a lift to work.

Sure enough I threw my bike in the boot and they dropped me into work. However I felt I had to refuse their offer to cuff me and spread eagle me over the bonnet as they dropped me off.

Great piece of community policing.
  • I find myself strangely drawn to Bruce_Waynes first post in the forum.

It doesn't matter how many times I read it, it doesn't make it less bizarre. :shock:
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Be afraid... Be very afraid
  • I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this post. your provided information is easy to understand and implement.

Now that is a classic.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Simple but powerful... Should get an award
  • It's a feeder post IMHO - you get these random ones from accounts that will used for later spam posts
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • johnmcl7
    johnmcl7 Posts: 162
    jibberish wrote:

I'm fairly certain that I've read that no motorist has ever previously been stopped / fined for crossing the ASL. The police won't publish the stats - they're bundled in with other offences which hide that this never happens. When they get asked why nobody has been done on camera - they hide behind that old line about "oh well if they cross the ASL when the lights are green and then get stuck when they turn red - then that's not illegal."

I'm not sure what you mean by they haven't been done on camera, are you meaning people haven't been caught while being filmed on a video camera or they haven't been done by red light cameras? The latter can't be used to detect that type of offence as it uses sensors past the stop line which can't tell the difference between vehicles and CCTV camera systems are not type approved for red light offences.
  • The Rookie
    The sensors can be embedded at the ASL rather than the secondary line, but many were installed prior to the ASL being marked up.

As you say, red light offences cannot be enforced by CCTV type systems as used for YBJ, no right turns etc etc, though TfL or the London councils (can't recall which) has requested a change in the law to allow them to issue PCN's for it.

Noting that Bruce-Waynes post was almost certainly a feeder as he's had his account 'ter-min-ate-ed'.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jibberish wrote:
    I stopped within the box - no offences whatsoever on my part. The only person at fault was the car driver.

Posted something similar in a previous thread, seems to be a hot topic for him

viewtopic.php?f=40052&t=12942019&start=80
  • The Rookie
    shmooster wrote:
    jibberish wrote:
    I stopped within the box - no offences whatsoever on my part. The only person at fault was the car driver.

Posted something similar in a previous thread, seems to be a hot topic for him

viewtopic.php?f=40052&t=12942019&start=80
    Not many people seem to understand the laws around ATS (Automated Traffic Signals), I do and try and enlighten those that do not.

You may see a similar username in this one
    http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=86381