TRP issues recall notice for Spyre mechanical discs

frazered
frazered Posts: 333
edited February 2014 in Cyclocross
http://singletrackworld.com/2013/12/trp ... cal-discs/

I have a giant tcx slr 2 with the spyre brakes - I have been advised not to ride it at all by TRP!

giant are now apparently contacting all affected owners

a replacement and revised unit will be fitted / offered

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Hmmm, I saw that, no way I'm going to send my brakes away at this point in the season! Guess I'll just have to keep a careful eye on pad wear; even if one does go pop, I'll probably still have more braking power than the guy next to me on a pair of cantis...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    They are swapping them for BB7s
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Funniest enough I emailed giant about this earlier and im still waiting a reply. Im still waiting for a reply about the brake cable routing aswell. Last I heard it was with the warranty dept.
    Cannondale CAAD 10
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc 10
    Bird Zero TR
  • Sad day for a good idea. There are probably 10 million times more cable brake levers out there (for road) than hydro. Making a decent product to compliment these is a good move - but is the market moving too quickly for the smaller players like Sram and TRP who have now both recalled brakes?

True, Spesh also recently did a recall, but that one was on their pitbull lawyers, not a product.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • I would say it is not moving too fast. Every 'emerging' technology goes through the same steps.
  • Giant have got back to me. They have advised me not to ride the bike and to take it back to them for new brakes once they have received them from the Giant warranty dept.
    Cannondale CAAD 10
    Bird Zero TR
  • glad I didn't go for those... I am on a pair of Hayes CX5 at the moment, which are very good and don't see the point to upgrade to a different mechanism.
    99% of the calipers function is in a good installation, so the easier they are to set up the better
    left the forum March 2023
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I think I experienced this failure today. Only noticed after the finish, but the rear pads had worn right down (this was on the cards) and one of the pistons had stopped working. Cleaned the bike, replaced the pads, loosened one of the big Torx bolts on the side, wiggled things around, and everything seemed to pop back into place. I lubed it, and everything is working fine now...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • javidr
    javidr Posts: 133
    I have been told in a bike shop that they will receive new tcrx slr2 in 10 weeks. Anybody else heard about it?

Thanks
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    The replacement Spyres are back in stock at Upgrade so that makes sense.
  • The replacement Spyres are back in stock at Upgrade so that makes sense.

Are you sure they're not flogging you the older ones?
  • majormantra
    http://www.trpbrakes.com/article_detail.php?aid=31

Upgrade is the distributor, they aren't going to be supplying a recalled product.
  • javidr
    javidr Posts: 133
    If it is recalled why would they sell it again? He checked it in giant website, as an official seller
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,070
    Giant UK told me yesterday they hoped to be re-selling the TCX SLR2 again soon, once they'd resolved the brake issue.
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    I have been told end of jan. not impressed owned the bike for 2 months, not been able to ride it and cannot use it for racing as planned. I am going to be complaining to giant.
  • Same here. I haven't been able to use mine either. Let me Know if you find out who to complain to. The giant store just aplogised and said no more.
    Cannondale CAAD 10
    Bird Zero TR
  • Warranty issues annoy me the most... It would be better to pay less and not have that legal piece of paper... in the specific I would have tried to strike a deal with the shop... heavily reduced price for a set of BB7 or similar... if you can get them half price, it's worth investing 50 quid to be on the bike, instead of having to wait for months for the official replacement
  • barrie h
    barrie h Posts: 102
    I got an email from Merlin Cycles in Chorley this morning

"Replacement stock of the SLC is due to land towards the end of this week at Upgrade. We expect to get them early next week.
    As soon as they arrive we'll let you know."

I just thought I`d let you know

Barrie
  • majormantra
    My Spyres have just arrived from Fatbirds. Huge boxes for such tiny brakes!
  • barrie h
    barrie h Posts: 102
    Mine came in at Merlin yesterday, working a treat now

I can recommend them fantastic stopping power and no rubbing at all

Barrie