Seat looks wrong?

surferireland
surferireland Posts: 27
edited December 2013 in Road beginners
Can you help?

Seat looks wrong, but feels fine.

Is it that the saddle is not right for this bike?

Its a Selle italia xo flow

Thankyou

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    There's many folks that seem to spend their whole lives looking for a saddle that feels fine. Does it look ok when you are sat on it?? :wink:
  • The bike won't give a toss about the saddle, I doesn't have an opinion - it's a bike.

The most important thing is your backside - if that's happy, then it's the right saddle.
  • alidaf
    alidaf Posts: 147
    I don't think that's the saddle that normally comes with that bike, but if it's comfy, then it's a win. Beautiful bike by the way.
  • Seat post the wrong way around?
    Wilier Cento Uno SR 2013 in Fluro Yellow
    Cannondale Caad10 2014 in BLACK!!
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    It's not just the seat, it's your whole set up that makes it look wrong. You're using an inline post with a saddle that has very short rails, so it appears to have a very forward position (a bit like a TT bike). Also your stem is the wrong way up so your bars are very high. If you could move your seat back and lower your bars then you'd probably get a longer, lower, more comfortable position.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    According to UCI regulations, the tip of the saddle should be 5cm behind the BB. This is for racing and time-trialling.
    In Triathlon, which is not regulated by UCI, there is no such limit. It is common for competitors to be strong athletes and novice riders, incapable of the deep crouch of a classic TT position. To permit a more open hip angle, triathlon riders sometimes rotate their whole body over and around the BB. The saddle is forward and high, the bars are forward and low but the hip angle is open, comparable to a touring bike rider rather than a TTer.

The other reason for a forward saddle using an inline post is because you have a short femur and long shanks.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If its comfortable, with no injuries and you get plenty of power in your legs I wouldn't worry about it. Different people have differing bike setups due to riding style, personal preference and their bodies dimensions. If yours is good for you forget about it and enjoy your riding ;)

My stem is also flipped upwards and my saddle is a bit further foward than most as I get more power and no knee pain. If I set it right for KOPS's i get knee pain. As it is I can ride for hours with no problems.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    I'd invest in a bike fit, your setup looks off. You may feel fine, but you'll likely feel better off with an improved position.
  • Had my local bike man put this together for me, so the saddle came from my old bike, I like the raised up feel which is why the stem bar is tilted upwards.

Im gathering here that a saddle with longer rails will make it look more natural.

Thanks for all the comments and advice
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434
    no one can see it when you're on the bike

the *only* thing that counts is that it's in the correct position when you're on the bike, when no one can see it
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Set up looks wrong. Do you suffer from lack of flexibility? Nice looking frame BTW
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Seeing the bike without rider would suggest that the set-up is wrong, particularly the saddle being set way forward from what is considered a 'normal' road bike position. However, if you have very long legs and a short body, limited mobility or restricted movement then it might be OK - without seeing the rider sat on the bike, hard to tell.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    styxd wrote:
    Also your stem is the wrong way up so your bars are very high.

Stems are usually called + or - for a reason. It's not wrong.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    dennisn wrote:
    styxd wrote:

Quite - though the fact that the stem is at that orientation and the bars seem tilted down a little does raise a question or two. Really we probably need to see the OP on the bike.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Im 90kg 5'10 and very regular in proportions (wear a 42 regular suit)

Im a regular surfer (30 years) and 37 years old - quite flexible
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I would try moving the saddle back a touch so it's mid-way on the rails - you may need to drop the saddle slightly too. Getting your weight back will help get you centred over the wheels, meaning the handling will be more neutral and less likely to wash-out the front wheel. Bike fit is about optimising the seating position first and then do the bars.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    dennisn wrote:
    styxd wrote:

LOL

Its "wrong" However if you have flexibility issues fair enough. It is nothing like a "standard "drop...but I guess you know that
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Just a suggestion to consider - as it affected my original setup. But the setup you have suggests you'll be thrown too far forward and have too much weight on the bars (a TT setup).

Try a setup with a saddle that can go back a bit further - as said, you might need a saddle with longer rails. By doing that, you'll find that you'll put less weight on the bars - and if you are flexible, that'l probably mean you can flip the stem back over and have the bars a little lower if that's comfortable for you.

Another thing, the bars themselves look 'too big'. The reach of the bars from the stem to the actual levers looks longer than the stem itself. I had this myself (older style of compact bars). With the saddle further back, you may find it more comfortable to ride with your hands not right on the levers, but a little further back up the hoods and onto the bars. If this is the case, then try some bars with less 'reach'.
  • As others have said that saddle looks to be very far forward which suggests that there is something wrong with the set up (without seeing you on the bike it is impossible to say with certainty).

g00se is right though. You could move the saddle back without changing your body position too much by using a short reach bar like the Deda RHM02. It's likely that the change in bars would bring your hoods 10mm closer allowing you to move the saddle back 10mm (and down 2-3mm to compensate for the increased leg extension) without ending up too stretched out.