Backpacks for Girls

tetm
tetm Posts: 564
edited December 2013 in Commuting chat
Question to the ladies, and those who can answer for their fairer halves, which is the best girl friendly backpack?

There may be absolutely no difference whatsoever, but I just wanted to find out. Being the chivalrous chap that I am, I offered to carry a young lady's backpack home for her (which is my knackered old Jansport from the mid 90s) and discovered that it had absolutely no structure or security when on the bike and gave me back ache in the 10 miles I used it and certainly explains why her back hurts from commuting with it daily for the last couple of years.

My rucksack has a strap across the chest, at about heart rate monitor level, which I find great for preventing too much side to side motion when riding, though I don't use the hip strap too much as it interferes with my gut.

Do such straps work with girls or are they an uncomfortable addtion when used with the female chest appendages? Chaps with moobs may be able to butt in here too.

I'm after recommendations for about the 15 litre range, with some structure (be it rigid foam or otherwise) to hold it flat on the back - Deuter Race Air style venting also an option, but does it really work?

Meant to be a Christmas surprise so the old try-before-you-buy adage doesn't necessarily apply.

Comments

• menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Probably not much help but my wife bought a female specific rucksack and quickly abandoned it for panniers. She found it as uncomfortable as the "unisex" ones. Then again she is rather petite (short and slim) so a taller person may have more milage.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I just use a Northface one with pretty wide straps and a backpack cover as I can keep a lot of stuff at work.

Don't tend to use the strap across the chest as it's not particularly heavy. I've got a front like an ironing board anyway, and a bum that practically balances the rucksack on :cry:

And no, I don't have any pics ......
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • I don't think anyone makes backpacks specifically for transporting girls. Maybe a gap in the serial-killer market.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I don't think anyone makes backpacks specifically for transporting girls. Maybe a gap in the serial-killer market.

Panniers and a battery operated saw; better weight distribution and you don't get a sweaty back.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    msmancunia wrote:
    I've got a front like an ironing board anyway, and a bum that practically balances the rucksack on :cry:

:shock:

As for recommendations how about the Deuter Superbike 14 EXP SL - Women Specific Backpack?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deuter-ladies-superbike-14-exp-sl-14-litre-rucksack/

I've used some of their non-female specific backpacks before and rate them.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    I don't think anyone makes backpacks specifically for transporting girls. Maybe a gap in the serial-killer market.

Length of axminster and the cab of a truck usually suffices, no?
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • I use a Camelbak, but I initially bought that for running long distance so it's quite small. The one I have is not the best as it rides up and knocks my head, but that's just on my roadbike. But there are loads more choices out there... have a look here http://totalwomenscycling.com/bikes-gea ... king-1123/
    Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    Mrs Mpatts has a female specific pack. The chest strap goes under baps.
    Insert bike here:
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    A messenger bag with a 3rd leg / stabiliser strap.

Way comfier than a rucksack.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • menthel wrote:

Length of axminster and the cab of a truck usually suffices, no?

Not very environmentally friendly. :roll:
  • tetm
    t4tomo wrote:
    A messenger bag with a 3rd leg / stabiliser strap.

Way comfier than a rucksack.

I've never seen anyone riding with a messenger bag not adjusting it every 20 seconds though.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    tetm wrote:
    I've never seen anyone riding with a messenger bag not adjusting it every 20 seconds though.
    +1. Other than wanting to look like you work for DHL, I've never understood the point of commuting with a bag that's specifically designed to allow for regular removal/insertion of packages at reception desks and loading bays. Most commuters I know load their bag at the start of their journey before putting it on, and then unload it at the other end after taking it off...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Without trying to sound like I'm after intimate details I would have thought it depends on how well endowed she is in the chest area. Ladies with a British Standard Handfull or more might struggle with a chest strap but those builkt for speed rather than comfort would probably be alright with a standard unisex bag.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Keith1983 wrote:
    Without trying to sound like I'm after intimate details I would have thought it depends on how well endowed she is in the chest area.

Surely we need pics then before we jump to any rash conclusions :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • arran77 wrote:
    Keith1983 wrote:
    Without trying to sound like I'm after intimate details I would have thought it depends on how well endowed she is in the chest area.

Surely we need pics then before we jump to any rash conclusions :wink:

Well if she's got a rash that's a differnet matter entirely!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    msmancunia wrote:
    I've got a front like an ironing board anyway, and a bum that practically balances the rucksack on :cry:

What sort of men do you take us for?
    Oh, hang on...
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    msmancunia wrote:

Google does, though:
    2+big+fat+ass+mom.jpg
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Fat bottomed girls you make the rock in' world go round........
    mpatts wrote:
    Mrs Mpatts has a female specific pack. The chest strap goes under baps.
    I trust that means below, as surgery sounds a drastic way of getting them to fit.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    sir mixalot springs to mind = baby got back
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    barbie-backpack.jpg

This is clearly meant as a Joke and there is no offence intended
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • tetm
    She's got this.

If she doesn't like it, then I've got a smart new commuting rucksack.