Cycling equivalent to a marathon

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited December 2013 in Road beginners
[Cue jokes about Snickers bars...]

My sis has done a marathon (in Southern France, in summer...yup, nuts) - what would be the cycling equivalent???? An Ironman Triathlon has a marathon and a 100+ mile ride, so would an imperial century be about right?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    SecretSam wrote:
    [Cue jokes about Snickers bars...]

My sis has done a marathon (in Southern France, in summer...yup, nuts) - what would be the cycling equivalent???? An Ironman Triathlon has a marathon and a 100+ mile ride, so would an imperial century be about right?

It all depends, and all depends on what shape you are in (obviously).

Firstly, marathons really aren't about running the distance, they are a mental exercise - even for the fittest. Unlike on some rides you can't 'hide behind the wheels' - there is no freewheeling. The last 6 miles are hell for everyone.

In terms of 'difficulty' the closest (non competing) ride I have done is the Etape Penines. 150+ miles flat, I would think, is about equivalent. But it really is not apples for apples.
    Insert bike here:
  • The 112mile ride in an Ironman is probably about equivalent IF you race it.
    I would say that about 110-120 on a bike, in a time trial situation, over similar terrain, is about equivalent to the marathon. However, on a bike you can always take a break down hills or with the wind on your back, not so easy when running as you have to keep the legs going.

Running the off-road Beachy Head marathon is harder than anything that I have done on a bike, including 130-140 mile road rides....
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    It's always going to be an apples and oranges comparison. Running is an impact sport so it's much harder on the joints, ligaments etc.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Most I have done is 100 mile cycle and a few half marathons. The half marathons were way harder than the cycle so guessing you would have to go to about 200 miles to get even close.

I think they are just too different to compare. I am doing a 10k in Feb which I am apprehensive about, but cannot wait for 100 mile cycle on Aug 10th :D

A hilly climb abroad (like a TDF stage) is the nearest you will get to a marathon on a bike as its the only type of cycling I can think of where its as difficult to rest as running a marathon.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If running is an option I would really recommend doing a duathlon.
    I did a 10k/40K/2K run/cycle/run and it was the best event I had ever done until Ride London earlier this year.

Its the only thing I have ever done where I collapsed on the ground and could not walk for a while. I pretended I was casually resting, but I was fcuk'ed.
  • ben16v
    ben16v Posts: 296
    personally having completed eryri marathon with 1000m elevation 3hours15min and 100mile etape with 2000m evevation 5hours 42min, i would estimate based on energy expenditure and rpe and assuming nutrition is constant throughout each that the equivalent on a bike would be 3-4 times the duration of the marathon, so 9hours 45min to 13hours - so for me 150-200miles would be a realistic comparison. weather or not the mental task would be comparable would be a different comparison. a solo effort would be a lot harder on the bike than the run but in a social scenario it would be easier to chat etc on the bike.
    i need more bikes
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    I used to do a lot of running as a teenager but never at marathon distance but the hardest event I have competed in is the 100k team time trial.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    All been discussed many times before and a whole myriad of opinions as to the equivalent distances involved.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've done a few Ironman races - I think the run is always the hardest - but maybe I've gone too hard on the bike.

I reckon its about 4 or 5 times the distance on a bike compared to a run.

The 112 mile distances was chosen for the Kona Ironman as it was a lap of the island and could start at the beach and finish where the run was to start - so it wasn't meant to be the equivalent of the marathon.
  • This is interesting - I've often wondered this. I guess it's too hard to compare.

Someone mentioned duathlon, which is cycling and running. Is there an event that features cycling and swimming but not running? I'd have a go at that.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • My OH trained for, and then ran, a marathon not long ago. I watched her through all the stages of her training, and then saw her four or five times round the actual course on the day.

Then I trained for, and rode, the RLS100 this year.

I'd say 100 miles on the bike - on the RLS100 route - is a lot easier than a marathon running, given proper training for both. I got to the end of the 100 miles, and could easily have done another 20-30. I didn't go out on the bike the next day, but I could have, easily.

If the 100 miles had had a lot more hills it would have been closer, but on a flattish route, 175 at least, maybe 200 miles would be about equivalent.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • cougie
    Wandsworth - Aquathlon or Aquabike is what you're after. Some Ironman distance events run them alongside. They're pretty rare though.

http://www.trispiritevents.com/events/t ... riathlons/
  • cougie
    Chris - did you ride in groups or solo ? I heard the RLS100 had bunches all the way round - and it's much easier sharing the work than having to do it solo. No drafting is allowed in Ironman so it does make it a tougher ride.
  • For me cycling 100km is about equivalent to running 1 mile!
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    have ridden 500 miles in one hit, but cant run to the garage in a rain storm
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • I' did the capital to Coast with friends at a easy pace, and rode back home so 120 miles, not really a problem even on a SS.

Only have to see the runners vs cyclists in Richmond Park to know running is a lot harder work.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,732
    Something like the Marmotte or Fred Whitton would be roughly equivalent to a marathon.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,571
    Probably a 3 weeker ;).
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    If god had intended for us to run, then he wouldnt have invented pedal bikes!! ;)

I've done a half marathon once - and 100 miles cycling is much easier for me. Cycling is low impact while running can take it out on your knees etc - so its hard to compare really.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    Surely it depends on how hard you go at it? As a poor heuristic, the folks I've seen lining up at Granfondos look a lot fitter than many of those you see on television doing the London Marathon.

I'd say doing a hard bike ride is equally as hard as doing a hard run. Different folks are just trained for different things.
  • this subject was covered before, at length on here. search button is an underrated tool. as am i.
  • cougie
    phreak wrote:
    Surely it depends on how hard you go at it? As a poor heuristic, the folks I've seen lining up at Granfondos look a lot fitter than many of those you see on television doing the London Marathon.

I'd say doing a hard bike ride is equally as hard as doing a hard run. Different folks are just trained for different things.

Thats probably because the cameras cover the elite and then go back to the plucky souls doing it on no training and taking 6 hours plus. It really doesnt look like they're having a good time.

They miss out a lot of the club athletes.
  • cougie wrote:
    Wandsworth - Aquathlon or Aquabike is what you're after. Some Ironman distance events run them alongside. They're pretty rare though.

http://www.trispiritevents.com/events/t ... riathlons/

Thanks Cougie. I had lost this thread for a few days. Aquathlon seems to be swim + run but Aquabike looks like the right one.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.