DAVID MILLAR Film

Duncan_C
Duncan_C Posts: 2
edited January 2015 in Pro race
New film in development. Could be of interest to some? Documenting the last months of Millar's pro cycling career.

www.davidmillarfilm.com

Comments

• Who's playing David Walsh in this one ?
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • The guys making this know their stuff and the films they've made so far have been superb, so I reckon this is going to be a really good one! It's a documentary and they're having a Q&A with DM in London on Dec 9th. So if you're interested head over here http://www.davidmillarfilm.com/event
  • Interview with Millar and director Finlay Pretsell in Rouleur

http://rouleur.cc/journal/riders/david-millar-project

And the Standing Start film they reference http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki2re9uILtc
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    The guys making this know their stuff and the films they've made so far have been superb, so I reckon this is going to be a really good one! It's a documentary and they're having a Q&A with DM in London on Dec 9th. So if you're interested head over here http://www.davidmillarfilm.com/event

Did anyone go ? Like to report back ? I tried but it had sold out by the time I found out about it
  • My mate was down for the event. He's one of the cameramen and filmed the Q&A. Not sure what the deal is with the footage but I'll ask. It sounded like a lot of fun though and few faces were in the audience - Boulting asked a few questions. He tried to persuade Millar to ride the ToB instead of the Vuelta.
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    zzzzzzzz ex doper everyone likes.

Buy the book buy the DVD . Make the ex doper rich because he seems a lot nicer than the other ex dopers and tells you what you want to hear.

I think some of you read a different book to me.
  • My mate was down for the event. He's one of the cameramen and filmed the Q&A. Not sure what the deal is with the footage but I'll ask. It sounded like a lot of fun though and few faces were in the audience - Boulting asked a few questions. He tried to persuade Millar to ride the ToB instead of the Vuelta.

Be good to see it if and when they make it available
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    How do I block people?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    ThomThom wrote:
    How do I block people?
    Click on their username and then click 'Add Foe'
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 264
    rayjay wrote:

Buy the book buy the DVD . Make the ex doper rich because he seems a lot nicer than the other ex dopers and tells you what you want to hear.

Sorry just don't get your logic.
    You don't like Miller, who is a repentant doper. But you like pellezotti, who is a unrepentant doper.

I am glad we don't have the same taste in books.
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • Is this how it's going to be every time someone starts a thread about a cyclist who has been caught for doping? This is getting seriously tiresome. Completely off-topic and still manage to bring it back round to the subject of doping.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Is this how it's going to be every time someone starts a thread about cycling ? This is getting seriously tiresome. Completely off-topic and still manage to bring it back round to the subject of doping.

FTFY
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,587
    Hi

I went to this, it was an interesting night, they showed the Standing Start film, some footage from this season they had taken as preparation for the DM film and a 'trailer' for the film further on. Richard Moore hosted and there was an open Q&A after wards.
    The bar was open afterwards with a display of Davids jerseys, there was a 'free bar' of Famous Grouse drinks and David mingled with everyone after very freely and easily. I had always held in regard generally ... I now consider him to be an absolute top bloke.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • dsoutar wrote:
    Is this how it's going to be every time someone starts a thread about cycling ? This is getting seriously tiresome. Completely off-topic and still manage to bring it back round to the subject of doping.

FTFY

• rayjay
    exlaser wrote:
    rayjay wrote:

Sorry just don't get your logic.
    You don't like Miller, who is a repentant doper. But you like pellezotti, who is a unrepentant doper.

I am glad we don't have the same taste in books.

You call it redemption I don't. You can only move forward and change who you are. You cannot redeem or make right your doped victory's . That moment has gone.
    Millar cannot speak about other riders who doped like he has have never doped. He has doped. He has crossed the line.

You have no idea if we have read some the same books.
  • CarbonClem wrote:
    Hi

I went to this, it was an interesting night, they showed the Standing Start film, some footage from this season they had taken as preparation for the DM film and a 'trailer' for the film further on. Richard Moore hosted and there was an open Q&A after wards.
    The bar was open afterwards with a display of Davids jerseys, there was a 'free bar' of Famous Grouse drinks and David mingled with everyone after very freely and easily. I had always held in regard generally ... I now consider him to be an absolute top bloke.

I've still to see the trailer but it uses some footage from this year's Tirreno. The stuff shot out the back of the car was my pal's work. They've got the skills to make a really good doc/film.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,587
    CarbonClem wrote:
    I've still to see the trailer but it uses some footage from this year's Tirreno. The stuff shot out the back of the car was my pal's work. They've got the skills to make a really good doc/film.

The footage from the climb at Tirreno was superb :)
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Ooo, I'd like to watch this one. Should be an interesting film.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    CarbonClem wrote:
    CarbonClem wrote:

The footage from the climb at Tirreno was superb :)

That's interesting, I've seen coverage of regional races (including kids) on TV in Trentino filmed by a cameraman standing up in the back of a roll top Fiat 500 and it was a good as any "professional" race coverage.
  • mm1 wrote:
    That's interesting, I've seen coverage of regional races (including kids) on TV in Trentino filmed by a cameraman standing up in the back of a roll top Fiat 500 and it was a good as any "professional" race coverage.

Well he did spend a whole day in Acquarone’s car filming out of the sunroof :-)
  • mm1 wrote:

He didnt catch sight of any bags lying around marked 'CASH", did he?

:P
  • mm1 wrote:

He didnt catch sight of any bags lying around marked 'CASH", did he?

:P

Come to think of it - he said he bought everyone's lunch...
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Looking forward to this film. Millar got what he deserved for cheating, but, he manned up, did not blame his dog or his mates steak and took it on the chin. Since his return from his, deserved, ban he has been a tireless worker for clean cycling. Respect. I hope this movie is a huge success.
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454
    This seemed as relevant a thread as any in which to post this:

https://audioboo.fm/boos/1826068-david-millar-special
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    rockmount wrote:
    Who's playing David Walsh in this one ?

Louis Walsh
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,731
    mike6 wrote:
    Looking forward to this film. Millar got what he deserved for cheating, but, he manned up, did not blame his dog or his mates steak and took it on the chin. Since his return from his, deserved, ban he has been a tireless worker for clean cycling. Respect. I hope this movie is a huge success.

Well he was caught bang to rights wasn't he. His excuse that he kept the empty bottles as a reminder is about as convincing as Contador's steak excuse - far more likely he'd used them recently and got sloppy leaving them around the house. His book makes it clear he blames the system for pressuring him into doping.

I don't mind him but this painting him as morally superior to other dopers grates a bit. He did what most of us would have, not because the pressure was that huge but because he wanted the rewards of winning and convinced himself doping was OK because plenty of others were doing it.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    mike6 wrote:

Well he was caught bang to rights wasn't he. His excuse that he kept the empty bottles as a reminder is about as convincing as Contador's steak excuse - far more likely he'd used them recently and got sloppy leaving them around the house. His book makes it clear he blames the system for pressuring him into doping.

I don't mind him but this painting him as morally superior to other dopers grates a bit. He did what most of us would have, not because the pressure was that huge but because he wanted the rewards of winning and convinced himself doping was OK because plenty of others were doing it.

It was part of the culture, I don't think you can blame a single rider from this particular period.

I personally feel that Millar should have a place on the anti-doping panel when he retires as he knows the score (forgive the pun), for why it happens and the negative psychological and physical dangers.
  • rayjay
    It still is part of the culture Joelsim. Riders are still getting busted.

IMO Millar is a sycophant.

I don't see the need for an anti doping panel.

Make the rules clear and the same for everyone.

We all know why riders dope. It makes them better athletes.

They know exactly what effects it could have on their body and athletes at the elite level are well looked after.

As for the psychological dangers? The only dangers are getting caught and having to deal with the consequences.

If you have a self destruct button , that's part of who you are no matter what you do.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I don't know about Millar being a sycophant, he seems to have been quite outspoken against the authorities, or at least more than most of his peers.
    I know he's a bit of a love/hate figure but he seems to genuinely love cycling. I have high hopes for the film.
  • Joelsim wrote:
    mike6 wrote:

It was part of the culture, I don't think you can blame a single rider from this particular period.

I personally feel that Millar should have a place on the anti-doping panel when he retires as he knows the score (forgive the pun), for why it happens and the negative psychological and physical dangers.

Millar has done a lot of work with UKAD and WADA since his ban, to help the education process on what makes a young rider turn to doping. He also sits on WADA's Athletes Committee, the first sanctioned athlete from any sport to be nominated to do so.