Putney bridge shut for 6 months in 2015

Comments

• dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    We talked about this a bit in the SCR thread. Will clearly result in total chaos; but if the Putney Hill traffic has nowhere to go, just maybe the entire slope from Tibbets Corner (where everyone will stay on the A3 toward Wandsworth Bridge) to the river could be free from traffic. I'd swim across the river in exchange for that run every morning.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Don't use it myself but what's the big problem for cyclists?

Isn't there a pedestrian footbridge on the Fulham rail bridge just down the river?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    arran77 wrote:

Isn't there a pedestrian footbridge on the Fulham rail bridge just down the river?

Yeah but all the local pensioners will revel in getting up early so they can stand on the bridge and harass anyone with a bicycle. :roll:

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • And there are a lot of steps on that bridge - not good for Mamils in cleated road shows.
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    According to the Standard article it will remain open to pedestrians, so no big problem
  • arran77
    Koncordski wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

Yeah but all the local pensioners will revel in getting up early so they can stand on the bridge and harass anyone with a bicycle. :roll:

Targets you mean :wink:
    And there are a lot of steps on that bridge - not good for Mamils in cleated road shows.

Excuses, excuses :roll:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Video-Martyn-Ashton-Road-Bike-Party-2.html?trk=rss

:P
    Ian.B wrote:
    According to the Standard article it will remain open to pedestrians, so no big problem

A lot of fuss about nothing then :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    I think at least the first week or two will be like this

PC-dies.-File-not-saved.gif

But maybe if TfL do their doom-mongering like they did for the Olympics, then enough will be scared into getting PT/walking to keep things fairly civilised.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I suspect that closing the bridge completely may actually be better for traffic in the area; motorists will be encouraged to plan an alternate route, and after a week or so traffic should be relatively predictable, whereas with the bridge partially open I suspect most will continue to attempt their normal route, causing massive tailbacks.

I don't particularly envy bus passengers, hard to see things being straightforward for them; being dropped off at one end of the bridge and then joining a new queue at the other end won't be very attractive...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • arran77
    TGOTB wrote:
    I don't particularly envy bus passengers, hard to see things being straightforward for them; being dropped off at one end of the bridge and then joining a new queue at the other end won't be very attractive...

Well that'll teach them for using the bus, peasants :wink:

:P

seanoconn
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    TGOTB wrote:
    I suspect that closing the bridge completely may actually be better for traffic in the area; motorists will be encouraged to plan an alternate route, and after a week or so traffic should be relatively predictable, whereas with the bridge partially open I suspect most will continue to attempt their normal route, causing massive tailbacks.

hahahahahahahaha. Anyone who drives in that area must be mentally deficient in the first place, so they won't plan properly. It is permanently gridlocked as it is. I live in Wandsworth not far from the Bridge. Traffic around here is also complete carnage 90% of time. I predict an epic clusterf*ck. I had to return a hire car the other day. It took 40 mins to drive 2.8 miles from Wandsworth to East Sheen via Putney...
  • TGOTB wrote:

hahahahahahahaha. Anyone who drives in that area must be mentally deficient in the first place, so they won't plan properly. It is permanently gridlocked as it is. I live in Wandsworth not far from the Bridge. Traffic around here is also complete carnage 90% of time. I predict an epic clusterf*ck. I had to return a hire car the other day. It took 40 mins to drive 2.8 miles from Wandsworth to East Sheen via Putney...

Yeah, but that's cos you is a well slow driver.

My Sat am Dad's Cabs run now takes me from SW18 to Dukes Meadows in Chiswick, past Putney Br. That's not going to be made any easier by this closure, is it?

FWIW, Wandsworth to East Sheen IME is best done via Putney Br Rd, LRR, Mill Hill Road, Station Road, Vine Road. URR sucks ass.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • il_principe
    ENOUGH WITH THE ABBREVIATIONS.

Did I mention that I can get Cervelo frames at trade prices now? Might buy a few just for the hell of it.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    TGOTB wrote:

Two rules:

I won't drive through London on Sunday after 10am - unless I absolutely have to.
    I won't drive through West London, ever.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • ENOUGH WITH THE ABBREVIATIONS.

Did I mention that I can get Cervelo frames at trade prices now? Might buy a few just for the hell of it.

I wouldn't if I were you.

You'll only end up in tears at the realisation of how much time you've wasted on inferior frames...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD

You'll only end up in tears at the realisation of how much time you've wasted on inferior frames...
    I'm confused? Greg aren't you and your brood Cervelo through and through.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

I'm confused? Greg aren't you and your brood Cervelo through and through.

Jokes are always funniest when they have to be explained...

If IP buys a Cervelo, he will realise how infinitely superior it is to everything he has previously ridden. Even his Chinarello fleet.

This will upset him. All those days he has spent attacking epic European mountain climbs have been days riding second and third rate frames. He could have had the sublime joy of riding them on a Cervelo. But he's lost those days forever, and can't have them back.

This will upset him greatly.

It is therefore better that he never finds out how much he has missed. So he should not buy a Cervelo.

GEDDIT!?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • il_principe
    DDD's response was way funnier.
  • DonDaddyD
    I'm slow on the old uptake today... sigh.
    Food Chain number = 4