Cycling Anthology - book and podcast

2»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    I think that's part of my problem with it Frenchie, I spend all day in front of a computer screen so it doesn't feel relaxing to read off one.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Exactly.

The size of the book is great also - sits in your hands perfectly and slips into your coat pocket nicely in that classic French style.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,563
    dish_dash wrote:
    I'm over halfway through and enjoying it. Some great bits of writing and little insights... ironically I found Lionel's piece on Hansen the weakest thus far...

It's my first 'paper book' since I got a kindle, and I do prefer reading on the kindle. Wonder why they decided not to publish electronically. You'd think a kindle version sold at the same price (quite reasonable) would provide a bigger margin.

Funnily enough the co-editor - Ellis Bacon - has done the worst piece so far. Very weak.

I've read about half and would still recommend.

Read the Bacon piece on Luck on the train in this morning. Agree with you frenchie, it is the weakest thus far. Partly because I would have linked luck and superstition more, and also because it was very anglo-saxon rider centric. I would have though that broadening the focus to cover French/Italian riders would have found more more superstitious views/practices and stories on luck...
  • frenchfighter
    Absolutely with regard the European's view.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Anyone read 'Wizards of Oz' essay?

It is one of a few I have left but it is the longest and about Aus riders so...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Anyone read 'Wizards of Oz' essay?

It is one of a few I have left but it is the longest and about Aus riders so...

Yes. Not one of the better essays but Guinness does raise a couple of interesting points about OGE.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    Yep -potted history of the rise of OGE...decently written, but not may favourite so far...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    Cool. There is quite a large difference in quality of the essays - I think for the next one they should be more selective.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • They can ditch the cartoon for a start. See no point of that in a book like this
  • dish_dash
    Looking forward to getting my hands on Volume 2, focusing upon the Tour de France. It's meant to be due out about now. http://www.lionelbirnie.com/the-cycling ... olume-two/

Similar set of writers. And RR - looks like the cartoon has been dropped.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    dish_dash wrote:
    Looking forward to getting my hands on Volume 2, focusing upon the Tour de France. It's meant to be due out about now. http://www.lionelbirnie.com/the-cycling ... olume-two/

Similar set of writers. And RR - looks like the cartoon has been dropped.

Hooray! Pre-ordered mine, really looking forward to this next one
  • Completely missed volume 2 for some reason and now we have volume 3 out:

http://inrng.com/2013/12/book-review-cy ... ii-review/

Was vol 2 as good as 1?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    Not read them but FYI, Vol 2 was a TdF special - when I'm back in the UK I was going to get the two...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Completely missed volume 2 for some reason and now we have volume 3 out:

http://inrng.com/2013/12/book-review-cy ... ii-review/

Was vol 2 as good as 1?
    Similar sort of standard (although I didn't read all the essays). However, I would say that with it being a TdF special it had little less variation than Vol.1
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dish_dash
    yeah, V2 was TDF focused but good. Some interesting insights and views from across the spectrum (and it dropped the cartoon).

V3 I didn't feel was quite as strong. Still some gems but also some duds. How one can write a piece about team buses and not mention the deathstar baffles me. And the piece on the Garmin 3 felt dated as I think was written before Ryder's outing...
  • Cool thanks, will pick up a copy of each. Small enough to slip into a coat pocket and read on the way to work.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dish_dash wrote:
    yeah, V2 was TDF focused but good. Some interesting insights and views from across the spectrum (and it dropped the cartoon).

V3 I didn't feel was quite as strong. Still some gems but also some duds. How one can write a piece about team buses and not mention the deathstar baffles me. And the piece on the Garmin 3 felt dated as I think was written before Ryder's outing...

Yeah - timing sucked...

No cartoon in Vol 3 either! Yay! On the other hand, really enjoyed Ellis Bacon's 'You are the pro' - something really different.

Klaus Bellon Gaitán's essay Out of Nowhere' should be obligatory reading - for some,,,
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Jeremy Whittle's contributions to CA so far:
    Volume 1: I am suspicious of cycling
    Volume 2: I am suspicious of cycling, but at least the scenary's nice
    Volume 3: I am suspicious of cycling, and now so is everyone else

Seriously, change the record Jezza.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,195
    RichN95 wrote:
    Jeremy Whittle's contributions to CA so far:
    Volume 1: I am suspicious of cycling
    Volume 2: I am suspicious of cycling, but at least the scenary's nice
    Volume 3: I am suspicious of cycling, and now so is everyone else

Seriously, change the record Jezza.

Agreed, I thought Whittle's piece in CA3 was one of the weakest.