Surreal night riding

mabbo
mabbo Posts: 117
edited December 2013 in Commuting chat
My commute home last night in the total blackness of E.Sussex country lanes got even more surreal last night. First a barn owl flew slowly across the front of me, looked amazing caught in the light, then off into the trees it went. A few miles further on, plunging downhill on one of the narrow single track lanes I use, at the bottom into a bank of mist. Visibility down to about 10 feet!!!! Very weird as you plunge into it, one minute you see fine, then this white block in front of you reflecting your light back at you, then almost nothing. Then it clears as you climb out of the valley bottom. This happened a few times on the way home last night. Like being in a Harry Potter movie !!!!! :lol:

Comments

• BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Sounds scary!
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I used to cycle and drive around the NYMoors. The fog would often lie in "fingers " up the valley. So you could be driving on the valley bottom in 20yard visibility, but if you drove up to the moor tops, see an amazing sight on a moonlight night with fingers of mist up all the valleys stretching down to the coast.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • t4tomo wrote:
    "fingers " up the valley.

Filth.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    t4tomo wrote:

Filth.

Says the man from Essex. :D Nuff said.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • t4tomo wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:

Filth.

Says the man from Essex. :D Nuff said.

:roll:
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    When riding round the local lanes last week I thought I saw some bright lights, and decided they must be on top of a pylon in a neighbouring field. Noticed they were getting brighter and brighter then the shape of a C130 Hercules transport plane loomed out of the darkness (had my windproof headband over my ears so couldn't really hear it). Must have been only 100-150 feet off the floor, very impressive...and very big close up!
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • There is a cycle path between connahs quay and deeside industrial park , (NE Wales) which is in a frost hollow.
    Evening and morning, as you ride through it the temp suddenly drops and often there is a band of fog hovering just above the path. The temp difference is such that if you are wearing glasses they will instantly mist up when you emerge out of the cold zone, very surreal!
    Focus Cayo 105
    Graham Weigh (631 mirage)
    GT Avalanche gathering dust
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I was 'followed' by a bat one night a few years back as I rode home from my previous place of work. Currently my commute takes me over the motorway and as I drop down off the bridge you can feel the temperature drop a few degrees, nothing to do with speed increase.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.