Forestry tracks and bike parks, South Wales.

Cave_Dweller
Cave_Dweller Posts: 114
edited December 2013 in Routes
I've not long moved to Pontypridd and I'm after some nice forestry tracks, or anything similar to take the kids. They are both young and I have a 2seater trailer for them, so easy for me more than anything lol. I don't mind travelling a bit to go for a ride. I used to make an hours commute to Fort William quite often when I lived in the Highlands.

Also, as much as I like taking the kids out I'd love to get away to some bike parks or decent trails for myself as well. I have come across a few like Cwm Carn and Bike Park Wales but are there any others nearby which are good? and what's peoples opinions on the two I have mentioned? I haven't been to any of them yet.

If anyone around the area fancies a ride out one day I will be out and about on my bike a lot more after christmas and I'd love to see more of the area and biking community near me. I'm trying to get used to it again after being 4years with not being able to ride. I'm getting back into it now so after christmas it's go time :twisted:

Comments

• Hi, there is a lot of forestry tracks in Llanwonno you can park in the pub car park, use google earth to give you an idea of the tracks, heading towards Maerdy is the easiest.The Taff trail is good for the kids and there is a nice trail that runs from Nelson to Newport, further afield is the Forest of Dean and Swansea to the Mumbles has a nice cycle path. Cwmcarn is quite a technical climb but has good singletrack, Bikepark is good fun especially the blue runs.If you are stuck after Xmas give me a shout I live near Pontypridd.
  • [Agree with Dave Jenkins plus...]

Welcome to the area Cave Dweller. I moved here (Swansea Valley) in the summer and work across South Wales.

Cwmcarn and Afan are my favourite cycle centres. There are good informal trails in some of the forests and open countryside routes in the Brecon Beacons and Wye Valley.

For family friendly rides, Afan has a Rookie trail that you could check out and perhaps a quick blast around one of the reds yourself?

More local to you are the Loops and Links trails. http://www.loopsandlinks.co.uk/ which might suit you too.

All in all, you've arrived in a great region for mountain biking!
    Three bikes: a muddy one, a fast one and a nostalgic one.
  • Thanks both, hopefully I'll get out more after christmas and check out all these places. The more I look and ask the more I find out. It's going to be a job to fit them all in lol. I even found some dirt jumps by Caerphilly which I like aswell as trails. Hopefully there won't be anyone there who will give me jip for riding a full sus on dirt jumps, I've had it happen before. Looking to build a hardtail after christmas for jumps and messing around and then I can keep my ful sus for the trails. My back shock is unreliable at the best of times without doing dirt jumps lol.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    In addition to those areas recommended above there are plenty of tracks around Castell Coch, just down the road from you.

I assume the jumps you refer to are at Van Road? In the same area, around Rudry and Draethen there are also lots of tracks through the woods and up the hills.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Check out www.HalfwayupMTB.co.uk - very friendly, large club based in Blackwood, with regular rides in the local area and occasional "roadtrips" further afield. Me and a few mates who live in Cardiff are members, but we also ride closer to home - lots of good natural riding around North Cardiff. If you're interested in joining us some day then send me an email and I'll sort out some more details for you.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    jimothy78 wrote:
    Check out http://www.HalfwayupMTB.co.uk - very friendly, large club based in Blackwood, with regular rides in the local area and occasional "roadtrips" further afield. Me and a few mates who live in Cardiff are members, but we also ride closer to home - lots of good natural riding around North Cardiff. If you're interested in joining us some day then send me an email and I'll sort out some more details for you.

isn't that the same advice I gave you about a year ago? :lol:

but yeah, agree with jim. there's loads of riding around and there's people from all over south wales in the HWU club. you're bound to meet someone who lives near you and can show you around.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    welshkev wrote:

Yes, Kev. and very good advice it was, too, mate.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    jimothy78 wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

Yes, Kev. and very good advice it was, too, mate.

I only have 1 good idea a year so I must be nearly ready for another one soon :lol:
  • Thanks all I'll check it out :D