Wheels and tyres

slowbike
slowbike Posts: 8,498
edited December 2013 in Cyclocross
I tried fitting a set of 35mm cx tyres the other evening and they popped off the rim. Bit disappointing but can't be helped. But having done some more trail riding with my wife I think some wider tyres for both of us would be beneficial.

So - what's the widest tyre sensible for a hybrid and a tricross? Would 40mm be too much?
And then - what width rim would I need to put them on - the current wheels seem to be about 19mm outside and 14ish inside the lip of the rim - measured with a tape measure so not exact!

Comments

• Sheldon Brown has some useful information:-

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    What combination of rim/tyre are you trying to set up? What pressure? Seems slightly weird that they're popping off...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Tell us, we can help. Most of us have run most of the rim/tyre combos out there.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Most modern rims are wider... an internal of 17+ (Stan's/Velocity, H plus Son) will accept any tyre.
    left the forum March 2023
  • slowbike
    The one that the RobRoy tyre blew off of is an Omega Etrto 622x13. It accepts the 32mm Specialized stock tyres for a tricross and currently has my 32mm studded tyres on - so I thought it'd take the 35mm ones ok.
    The other wheels I have are the CXP22 ...

I'm quite happy to spend a little bit to get my wife some reasonable wheels for her hybrid as it's the only set of wheels she has for that bike and it's a few years old now so could probably do with some upgrades! ;)
  • Slowbike wrote:
    I'm quite happy to spend a little bit to get my wife some reasonable wheels for her hybrid as it's the only set of wheels she has for that bike and it's a few years old now so could probably do with some upgrades! ;)

Yeah, get her some nice Archertype, you stingy bum... :wink:

13 internal width is a bit too narrow. I found I could fit pretty chunky tyres on Open PRO, which are 15 or so, but ultimately with a 17 internal you get the best of all worlds, as you can range from 23 to pretty much anytihng you want. More than 17-18 and you lose the ability to fit 23 mm tyres, so that's where the happy medium is.
  • slowbike
    Yeah, get her some nice Archertype, you stingy bum... :wink:
    Yer - like that's worth more than the bike!
    13 internal width is a bit too narrow. I found I could fit pretty chunky tyres on Open PRO, which are 15 or so, but ultimately with a 17 internal you get the best of all worlds, as you can range from 23 to pretty much anytihng you want. More than 17-18 and you lose the ability to fit 23 mm tyres, so that's where the happy medium is.
    I'm not worried about fitting 23mm tyres - we've got road bikes for that ... so I just need to find some suitable wheelsets ... or get some built! ;)
  • Slowbike wrote:
    I'm not worried about fitting 23mm tyres - we've got road bikes for that ... so I just need to find some suitable wheelsets ... or get some built! ;)

A re-rim job with a wider one would work out relaitevly cheap, but often the spokes and hubs are so crap that it's depressing to even start working... anyway, Mavic A 719 is the rim for the job... but they cost 85 quid for the pair
  • slowbike
    Slowbike wrote:

A re-rim job with a wider one would work out relaitevly cheap, but often the spokes and hubs are so crap that it's depressing to even start working... anyway, Mavic A 719 is the rim for the job... but they cost 85 quid for the pair

I'd want new hubs anyway - the stock ones on the CXP22 are shocking! At least I know why the tyre popped off - and should've been ok on the other rims .. oh well - pity as I have a spare CXP22 rim so could've used them ... But I can have a look for the new rim/wheels now . :) - won't get away with that as a christmas pressie though! :(