Dragging rear brake on Boardman Team FS

zeroseven
zeroseven Posts: 347
edited December 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I've suffered this for years an an old 06 Stumpjumper and never really cured it, now my son has just bought a mint Boardman Team FS and it has the same problem.

We've loosened and reseated the calliper. The wheel appears true as does the disc. Remove the calliper and the wheel spins freely.

The tyre seems VERY close to the frame and is slightly off centre. This seems contrary to the reviews which talk about the generous clearance here, this bike has less than 5mm one side and about 8/9 the other. Is there a way to slide the wheel rearwards away from the frame?

We have no handbooks so any advice or suggestions very much appreciated

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can't move the wheel back, no.

If the brake is dragging it is either sticking, not aligned or the disc warped, you need to look at the pads and what they are doing.

Never had a brake drag except when mud gets in there when it lasts for 5 mins.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • OK thanks.
    The pads are clamped pretty tight. When the calliper was removed it was really hard to spread the pads the slip back over the disc, almost as if there was too much fluid in the system
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Sounds to me like you don't have the real wheel
    Skewer seated properly. Take the wheel off and refit carefully, make sure it is fully seated on both side then re centre the pads.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Thank you, will check that again tomorrow
  • The Boardman team fs really doesn't have generous tyre clearance. I had the same problem, but I gave up on the frame in the end. Too many problems which I've never had with other bikes before.

I did consider packing the rotor out with spacers so it would be better aligned with the caliper. It looked like the brake mount wasn't correctly aligned on my frame.
    Too many bikes, not all fully built.
  • Thanks that reassuring. The review on this sit taken from Moutain Biking UK states........

The UK design is clearly on display, with bags of tyre clearance around the rear wheel,
    .......... chunky Continental Mountain King 2.2in tyres. Given the frame clearance we’d like to see slightly wider rims to make better use of 2.35in-plus tyres........

Good luck with that then....... 8)
  • stu28
    stu28 Posts: 5
    I had the same trouble with my 2013 team Fs the brakes would keep catching and the wheel would never roll nice and smooth no matter how many time i adjusted the callipers
    in the end i got rid of the avid brakes and got a set of Shimano Deore M615 for £75 and once i got the 160mm adapter for the rear wheel the brakes now roll smooth as silk and i think the brakes are even better then before
  • Hmm, I had deore brakes on mine and couldn't get anything like a normal set up.
  • The Rookie
    If you can't get Deore right then hydraulic brakes aren't for you......they are the most reliable you'll ever find.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Avid brakes often drag. They shouldn't, but do. Try your luck at the Halfords your son bought the Boardman from, or take it to a decent bike shop to have the brakes bled properly.
  • See above about the mount not being aligned correctly cooldad. There simply wasnt enough adjustment on the brake mounts to compensate for the slack frame build quality.

No problems maintaining the disc brakes on my other bikes thanks.
  • The Rookie
    Strange, as the Boardman frames are made by the worlds largest frame making company.......
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    punkatron1 wrote:
    See above about the mount not being aligned correctly cooldad. There simply wasnt enough adjustment on the brake mounts to compensate for the slack frame build quality.

Huh????????????
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Just waiting for Kowalski to get involved then I've got the set.
  • Huh????
  • The Rookie
    Kowalski's on a ban for 2 or 3 more days.........
  • Full set of what? People who correct the rubbish spouted?
  • cooldad
    punkatron1 wrote:
    See above about the mount not being aligned correctly cooldad. There simply wasnt enough adjustment on the brake mounts to compensate for the slack frame build quality.

As I said before - Huh?????????????????????
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    punkatron1 wrote:

Sincere apologies cooldad.
  • cooldad
    punkatron1 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    punkatron1 wrote:

Sincere apologies cooldad.
    Sincere apology sincerely accepted.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Full set of what? People who correct the rubbish spouted?

:lol: