Red/Black grade trails in south devon?

miceden
miceden Posts: 225
edited December 2013 in Routes
Hi all, am off to devon this weekend, going to be just outside of Bovey Tracey and wandered if anyone could suggest some good technical trails in the area or within a 30min max drive?

Am looking for something red-black grade and the more climbing the better, don't care if its in trail centre or not but if out a map or gpx file would be helpful

Is Haldon forest any good?

Comments

• andyk19
    andyk19 Posts: 170
    I was going to suggest Haldon forest when I saw your title. It's only got a red route which isn't that technical, but does have a long, non-technical climb. Personally I also think the trail is quite a 'nice' route in mostly good condition. However it is more XC/light trail than anything else; I find it rather enjoyable on my XC hardtail.

If you do go to Haldon I'd recommend the new blue route as being worth a try. It's not technical, but it does have some nice, flowing single track.

Otherwise the Moor can make for some good riding, areas such as Houndtor woods having some technical bridleways. However I've learned that the Moor requires quite a lot of trial and error to find where is good to ride, and where isn't.

I think there are some privately owned black trails in the Plymouth area - but have no experience of them.
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    Well I went to Haldon and while the red trail wasn't very technical I agree its a 'nice' run on the hard tail, went round once to get an idea of it and on the second faster run round I managed to snap the mech hanger after a branch got caught up in the wheel.... So time there was short but would head back as there seems to be some off piste riding
  • I would suggest going for an explore around lustleigh cleave (just a couple of miles from bovey) the cleave inn does a good pint of tribute and pub grub for post ride.

If you can find it the "nutcracker" is well worth a ride! (super tacky tyres needed up front at this time of year)

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... nutcracker

check out this ^^^^^
    Yeti SB66c 2013