road brakes for my first race??

c0ugars
c0ugars Posts: 202
edited December 2013 in Cyclocross
I've just signed up for my first CX race, I've raced a lot of triathlons and TT's this year and I thought I would give CX ago ive got off road tyres I just wondered how I would fair using normal road brakes? the bike I'm planning on using is a winter frame so has loads of clearance. But the only thing I'm slightly worried about is stopping and the handlering since I've only ever rode on the road. any tips or advice would be great.

Comments

• stopping won't be the problem, it's the mud getting clogged in your calipers that will be the issue.
  • Find a local park / field and go find out would be my answer. Why wait till you are racing in a pack, 4 wide heading into a corner to discover your brakes are crap?

In your favour is that it has been quite dry recently so its unlikely to be a mud fest wherever you are racing... However its the time of year where leaf mush, twigs etc tend to get stuck between brakes, stays and forks
  • i was goin gto post something similar. I have a cyclocross that is second hand and need new brakes. Bearing in mind I am not going to be racing, and the mountain bike does mud, can I just use road brakes? Thinking of just putting some mid range shimano on? Or is it best to get some shimano or avid cross brakes?
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    You are limited by the mounts on your frame and fork. If you have 2 posts for canti brakes, they have way better mud clearance so use them with normal road STI levers. If you only have the hole through the cross brace on the back of the frame and in the crown of the fork, use normal road calipers. would be tempted to use cheaper tiagra grade calipers as they will get gummed up and worn pretty quickly.
  • cheers, will a good pair of cross brakes see me through road sportives? I assume they will. if they will ill stick with cross brakes for the versitility.
  • DISCS!!!!!!!!!!
  • sharky1029 wrote:
    DISCS!!!!!!!!!!

Blasphemy
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    Why not go for flat out blast around the local woods and decide if you're gonna be safe amongst 100+ riders who have the proper equipment?

I wouldn't race until I'm confident on the bike. You'll probably end up getting lapped and you should be able to handle your bike around other rides while riding flat out.
    Edit: which is what antsmithmk said.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Depends on the riding conditions, but expect that mud and leaves will pack under your brakes, bringing you to a halt -good resistance training though!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    I used standard calliper brakes the first season I ever rode cross. As others have said they'll stop you as well as cantilever rim brakes but will clog easier. Courses around here are ridiculously dry of late after terrible conditions early in the season. The year I did with calliper brakes the only time they got clogged was riding in 4" of snow. I think talking about safety of others is a red herring, practicality is the only issue here.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Pross wrote:
    I used standard calliper brakes the first season I ever rode cross. As others have said they'll stop you as well as cantilever rim brakes but will clog easier. Courses around here are ridiculously dry of late after terrible conditions early in the season. The year I did with calliper brakes the only time they got clogged was riding in 4" of snow. I think talking about safety of others is a red herring, practicality is the only issue here.

Absolutely - canti's barely stop you anyway and they're standard on most CX bikes. Personally I find the thick grass, mud and sand does a perfectly good job of controlling my speed! If I want to slow down, I stop pedalling. On any sort of slope the cantis are there in a purely advisory capacity.

Give it a go with the expectation that you might get all clogged up under the callipers.
  • Still think this is an issue that is pointless asking advice on. Go and ride your bike about on a field for an hour. Then come back and tell us if you can stop or not. Road bikes have a wide range of clearances... I can't even fit mud guards on mine! Go test!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    But as the conditions in their local woods or field may not mirror those at their first race it's not really a good guide. As Pross says it's not about being able to stop more about whether the bike grinds to a halt clogged with mud.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Not great really. I take my road bike on gravel / mud paths from time to time and the biggest problem I face is not the skinny slick tyres but the mud getting onto the rim and brakes.