I failed my driving test :(

gingaman
gingaman Posts: 576
edited August 2014 in Commuting chat
But that means I can spend more time on the bike 8)

If you passed first time, well done. Those that didn't, how many goes did you have?

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    If you look in both the rants and Anti rants....

Unlucky.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • gingaman
    Congrats rubertoe :) I didnt think mine qualified as a rant so didnt check there!
  • rubertoe
    It most certainly does count as a rant.

This was my third time. I have a baby on the way so driving was a must.

What did you fail on?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• gingaman
    Observation! :oops: Mitigating factor: the sun was really low and bright, and I didn't properly see a car on the wrong side of the road heading towards me, started to pull out but then threw on the brakes, too late. Fail.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Third time for me. I was 30 at the time so a late starter
  • gingaman
    Nearly there myself Mikey, 30 next year :(
  • Can't be that hard look at all the numpty drivers on the road. You'll pass next time I bet.
  • katiebob
    katiebob Posts: 208
    *cough* 4 *cough* but that was 12 years ago :-)

Just nerves on my part - could do everything fine just not in front of the examiner!!
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    Failed three time when I was eighteen. Gave up in disgust/ran out of money. Really needed to pass when I was about 30 & passed on the fourth go. I had gained masses of road experience and anticipation skills in the intervening years on the bike, which really helped.
  • rubertoe
    Just to say,

I am 33, so we are all pretty late comers.

• mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Passed 2nd time age 28. Theory test was being introduced at the time and I had to that after the practical. That took two goes as well. Which was annoying.
  • First time a few months ago (i was 17) Im not bragging i promise... I know someone who has done their theory 30 times so trust me your doing well!! Pretty sure its the luck of who's out on the rode at same time too, all it takes is one idiot to do something wrong in front of you to make you do something wrong too!
    Check out my blog for my views and reviews: http://memylifeandmybike.blogspot.co.uk/
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Passed at 17 first time, in fact both parents and sister passed first time as did my wife and all three kids, must be something in my jeans.......

Not sure how anyone fails the theory!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Passed at 17 first time, in fact both parents and sister passed first time as did my wife and all three kids, must be something in my jeans.......

And yet you failed the OP's theory test by failing to answer the question asked. :shock: :lol::lol:
  • Passed 1st time at 17. Thought I failed in the first 5 minutes so gave the 'I don't care' attitude for the rest. Turns out I got 1 minor, and that wasn't for what I thought I failed on. No bragging, just showing how nerves easily get in the way. If I didn't believe I had failed, nerves would have got me no doubt.

Good luck.
  • The Rookie wrote:

What you keep in your trousers is your own business... :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • herb71
    herb71 Posts: 253
    I passed first time at 23. Passed my Motorbike test at 17 first time as well.

My sister had a test abandoned for dangerous serving. The examiner asked her to pull over, took the keys and walked back to the test centre. I will never let her forget it. She passed on the 4th attempt.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    gingaman wrote:
    Those that didn't, how many goes did you have?

Three for me.

Failed the first for "undue hesitancy" - basically, not pulling out of a junction when there was time to do so.

Failed the second for "speeding". :roll: Actually, I don't believe I was speeding, but the examiner lived on my street and we'd had a few run-ins prior to my test.

Passed my motorcycle tests first time though. \o/ And my cycling proficiency, come to that. :D
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Past first time. My best mate on the other hand:

Failed first one for doing 50 in a 30 (to be fair the signs are quite confusing if you don't know the area and are concentrating on the roundabout)
    Failed second one for not checking mirrors enough.
    Failed third one for pulling out when a car flashed him out.
    Passed his fourth time and to be fair, he's one of the safest drivers I know. I wish I could say the same for myself, *touches wood* in the 6 years or so I've been driving I've not crashed yet but I've had a fair few very near misses and it's only my reactions that have kept it that way. Thankfully I don't tend to drive like a dick anymore.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Passed first time, 27 or 28 when I took it. I was pretty sure I'd failed so nice surprise! That was about 15 years ago and I've never been a regular driver in that time. Usually I only get behind the wheel about 10 times a year.
  • Herb71 wrote:
    My sister had a test abandoned for dangerous serving.
    :shock:

Is she called Nigella?
    Coffee is not my cup of tea

Moda Fresco track racer
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 winter commuter
    Gunnar Hyper X
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000 (retro-bike in bits)
    Lemond Poprad Disc, now retired pending frame re-paint.
  • My parents have between them a record of Played 11 Won 1 Lost 10.

It's not hereditary. I'm Played 1 Won 1 Lost 0. Passed at 17, and have become even more awesome with every passing day, natch.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    My parents have between them a record of Played 11 Won 1 Lost 10.

It's not hereditary. I'm Played 1 Won 1 Lost 0. Passed at 17, and have become even more awesome with every passing day, natch.
    played 2 won 2 lost 0
    Can anyone beat that?
  • herb71
    herb71 Posts: 253
    Herb71 wrote:
    My sister had a test abandoned for dangerous serving.
    :shock:

Is she called Nigella?

That's what happens when you don't re-read what you have typed and autocorrect embarrasses you.

My shoplifting, test failing sister is now a Met policewoman cruising round all day in a Panda car. London cyclists beware.
  • I passed on my second attempt aged 18 (about 18 years ago), having failed the first test on a single major fault for changing lanes on a roundabout without sufficient mirror checking and signalling :( Lesson learned for the second test and that was passed with only 3 minor faults IIRC.

I also passed a theory and practical test back in 2006, but that was for the Illinois State DMV license.

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • rubertoe
    Did i say that i passed my test on friday?

BTW, the test these days is a lot harder than it was pre theory.

• Passed first time at 17, then went straight out and bought ... a bike.

Didn't get my first car until I was 24.
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    Passed 3rd time when I was 18. Wife passed first time at 17, and boy don't I know it :P

First one I failed b/c I went "too close to a parked car" and second one because the light was green but the filter light wasn't on (I was turning right) and I got a bit confused and hesitated for 5-10seconds. Sucks but you learn from those sort of things and don't do them again :)
  • Had six lessons, failed first test. 1 more lesson and then passed on 2nd attempt on Friday 13th.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I passed first time three months after my 17th birthday. Drove like a dick for a few years completely justifying why young men have such high insurance then calmed right down.
    I started driving instructor training but failed the practical for driving over-cautiously (even the examiner said I would have passed if I relaxed and drove how I normally would).
    I passed my Bikeability Instructor training first time and I'm considering doing the Instructor Instructor training next year. I still want to do Driving Instructor training some time in the future.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!