Tyres, pedal and shoe recommendations?

colm_gti
colm_gti Posts: 173
edited December 2013 in Cyclocross
Raced road for the past few years, cat3 last year with a few cat2/3 stage races towards the end of the season.

Just picked up a cx bike to try a bit of cx this year and am at a loss when it comes to spd's and mtb shoes, so I'm turning to you guys for recommendations...

What pedals would ye recommend? Spd's, eggbeaters, something else? And what shoes to go with them, with the option to add studs?

Finally, what tyres are ye racing on?

Comments

• xtr spd and stiff but cheap shoes with toe studs...
  • xtr spd and stiff but cheap shoes with toe studs...

Eggbeaters and a pair of mavics with studs. I used to use spd pedals but I got tired of being unable to clip in on muddy courses, particularly those with stones that would get cupped in the pedal. Clipping in on eggbeaters can be slow though so pondering going back to spd.
  • Time XC4's teamed with Northwave Spartas. Have always liked the Time pedals and find they clear pretty well, the Spartas take a little getting used to with these peals but worth it in the end.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Time ATAC's much better than SPD for avoiding clogging; the clip-in is subtly different, so allow a bit of time to perfect that instant post-start clip-in if you're already used to SPD. Eggbeaters don't seem to have a great reputation for longevity.

Definitely need the ability to attach toe studs for run-ups.

I swear by Sidi Dominators (Mega, because I have wide feet) but shoe choice is a pretty personal thing...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    TGOTB wrote:
    Time ATAC's much better than SPD for avoiding clogging; the clip-in is subtly different, so allow a bit of time to perfect that instant post-start clip-in if you're already used to SPD. Eggbeaters don't seem to have a great reputation for longevity.

I swear by Sidi Dominators (Mega, because I have wide feet) but shoe choice is a pretty personal thing...

Eggbeaters do have that reputation, and they are also said to destroy shoes, but I have been racing them for three seasons without encountering either issue. I like them.

Agree regarding shoes, studs, good fit and ability to run are must haves. Other than that, it's a personal choice. Mine are neither particularly stiff nor particularly light, but I can run in them!
  • tgotb
    edited November 2013
    Turns out that it might actually be possible to construct a pair of SPD wellies using these:
    http://road.cc/content/news/76979-turn- ... ling-shoes
    :D
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • TGOTB wrote:

Another vote for ATACs from me....also, choose a shoe with a decent amount of 'open space' around the cleat area. If the sole is too crowded with grippy bits it can be counter-productive as your cleats - even ATAC ones - may get gummed up too easily. Been there (Lake MX series IIRC, but forget the model number), done that.

As for tyres, although I've not ridden them myself, I'm reading a lot of good things about Clement PDXs of late - they're clinchers but in some respects come pretty close to tubs for ride quality and pressure range.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • I have the Clements, they are sold out in the UK at the moment I was told by the distributor- you can get them from Bike 24 in Germany. Very very good tyre, I ran 35PSI and they gripped well in the mud.
  • tgotb
    I have the Clements, they are sold out in the UK at the moment I was told by the distributor- you can get them from Bike 24 in Germany. Very very good tyre, I ran 35PSI and they gripped well in the mud.
    21PSI for me (tubeless). I got mine from Bike24; can't remember exactly how long they took to deliver, but it was very quick.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Pedals: Atac carbons

Shoes:
    Spesh Expert MTB 3 Velcro straps: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec026154
    Giro Codes: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gir ... e-ec039183

Why the whole planet doesn't ride Giro Codes is beyond me :-)

Seriously, a micro ratchet top buckle is vastly superior to a velcro strap. As we all know, cross is a very kinetic sport and your feet move around a lot more than cycling dsciplines where you clip in at the start and clip out at the end. My Spesh shoes would work loose over the hour, esp with steep run up.

Check out the Codes at a green/yellow LBS near you...

It's worth saying the Specializeds are fantastic shoes, supremely stiff soles, maybe stiffer than the Codes, and light, same weight as the Codes, but the top buckle is the winner. Both come with studs.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.