Switched to Speedplay Zeros

ic.
ic. Posts: 769
edited December 2013 in Road general
I'm fed up with squeaky Look Keo 2 Max, so I've decided to try Speedplay Zeros.

I like the sound of the adjustable float. My left foot naturally stays very still during the pedal rotation, but my right foot moves heel out then back in again.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on set up, or any general hints or tips or pitfalls to be aware of with the Speedplay Zeros. I've never used them before so would appreciate any helpful tips you have.

Thanks
2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
Boardman CX Team - sold
Cannondale Synapse - broken
Cube Streamer - stolen
Boardman Road Comp - stolen

Comments

• Squeaky?

sorry, nothing else to offer.
    Wilier Cento Uno SR 2013 in Fluro Yellow
    Cannondale Caad10 2014 in BLACK!!
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Make sure you screw in the cleat attachment bolts (the four black ones) up to the recommended torque - too tight and you won't be able to clip in. Don't forget to lube the cleats regularly as well.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I made the same switch. Won't be going back...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • me too they are awesome pedals
    i found i left the float free and then slowly limited foot movement
    until i was happy, did find i had to back left foot of a touch due to knee pain
    but soon went when i e adjusted,
    simply miles bette that keo / spd sl pedals
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    They're very nice pedals, particularly if you cycle in cities because with a little practice it's so so easy to clip in again after pushing off from a standing start at lights and junctions. The Keos and most other pedals have that annoying habit of hanging upside down when unclipped, the Speedplays are double-sided so it doesn't matter which side you use. However they do seem to need a bit more care and attention than a pair of Keos do, I wrecked my first pair by forgetting to lubricate/clean them as they recommend (and to be fair using them in some really crappy winter weather which wasn't a great idea).
  • declan1 wrote:
    Make sure you screw in the cleat attachment bolts (the four black ones) up to the recommended torque - too tight and you won't be able to clip in.

The real problem occurs when you do the four bolts up too tightly and then realise that you can't clip *out*. Once I worked out what I'd done wrong and put it right, I decided that Speedplays were the best pedal system. Though I use Light Actions, rather than Zeros.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,609
    as above, don't over tighten the screws, follow mounting instructions to the letter

you do need to regrease the pedals every few months, if you skimp on this the bearings eventually will dry out and sometime after that they'll fail - last year i forgot this simple fact on my commute bike, the months of wet rides just flew by, then one day: squeak, graunch, squirk

spend a while getting the float exactly the way you like it, it's an individual thing, if you take a small screwdriver with you and go ride, then you can tweak things as you go until you get it just right for *you*

personally i like the heel-in float set to just a smidge further in than my natural riding position, and the heel-out set just a few degrees wider, so i have a pretty narrow range of free float
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    Used to use Shimano but been on speedplay most of the year.
    Now looking for some 4 bolt shoes ;)
  • gaanrowl
    gaanrowl Posts: 326
    Used shimano, went to speedplay, didn't like the speedplay, now see no reason to change back from shimano.

Anyone want 2 pairs of SP Zeros?

ill take these off your hands if your giving them away :lol:
  • gaanrowl
    gaanrowl Posts: 326
    i changed from shimanos to speedplay because of knee problems, love the free float they have, just bought a set of sidi wires with sp sole, to complement them needless to say i wont be going back, only bug bear is the price of cleats!
  • Changed to Speedplay's a couple of years back as I've got a bit of a dodgy right knee. They work much better for me as my foot seems to find its natural position more easily.
    I recommend getting the Coffee Shop covers. Without them you can wear the cleats down walking around, and they can be skiddy as hell.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    maxh5100 wrote:
    Changed to Speedplay's a couple of years back as I've got a bit of a dodgy right knee. They work much better for me as my foot seems to find its natural position more easily.
    I recommend getting the Coffee Shop covers. Without them you can wear the cleats down walking around, and they can be skiddy as hell.
    Oh yes, cleat covers are a must have for Speedplays! It took about 3 seconds of hearing the metal bits grinding off the ground to convince me of that :)
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Squeaky Keos + Furniture Polish = Silent Keos
  • http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KEEP-ON-KOVERS-FOR-SPEEDPLAY-ZERO-OR-LIGHT-ACTION-CLEATS-/181177433619?pt=US_Pedals&hash=item2a2f043e13

i have had a pair of cleat covers you can pedal in for a few weeks now. they work really well and have only fallen off stood at the lights once.

they are expensive compared to coffee stop covers but they do for me. no more metal grating on concrete for me!
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • ic.
    Well, 100 miles in on the Speedplay Zeros and I'm happy to report I'm frickin' delighted with them.

Only wish I'd made the switch sooner. They're a revelation.

The departed:

Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cube Streamer - stolen
  • Looking at getting these for my first road bike. Is it worth getting speedplay specific shoes to get the full benefit of the pedals ?
  • ic.
    Difficult one, with it being your first bike. The cleats come with a 3 hole plate to bolt to 3 hole shoes and a range of little wedges to make sure they fit the curve of your shoe properly. You can use a 3 hole shoe with Speedplay, but I'm not sure a Speedplay 4 hole shoe with 3 hole cleats for other pedals.

I'd say if you were buying new shoes and had been a Speedplay user for a while and were convinced you were sticking with them - then buy Speedplay soles. Otherwise, 3 hole shoes will be fine. And maybe cheaper.

The departed:

Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cube Streamer - stolen
  • Don't worry about it. Just use the adapter and make sure you buy shoes that fit.
  • I think they're fantastic pedals, but be aware of unintentional unclipping. Never had a pair of pedals where I've done this whilst cranking out of a corner. Only way to seemingly reduce this risk is to reduce the float.....which kind of defeats the object. You can't alter release tension neither to prevent this.