Kinda perfected my "comfy but fast" bike tonight :)

Manc33
Manc33 Posts: 2,157
edited December 2013 in Your road bikes
I got a MTB a few years back and only really rode it on the road because at £259.99 it doesn't really stand up to the trails. Yes, I bought a MTB and "didn't want to get it dirty". :lol:

I got Schwalbe City Jet tyres for it and the extra grip was nice, but I got sick of it and wanted a road bike.

So I got the trusty Triban 3 (a £300 road bike with a carbon fork) and all was well.

First thing I started to not like was riding on drop handlebars, you couldn't change up and down the gears without moving your hand around on the bars, ewwwwww no, so that got swapped for my MTB bars. This one single swap totally changed the bike's look and feel. Admittedly I lose about 2-3 MPH on my average speed because of being sat upright, but I want a comfy bike.

Bar ends were added to the bars - SJSC Ergo Control Bar End Grip. The cheaper version of a similar one Cane Creek makes, but I ain't paying £30 for bar ends so got the SJSC ones in the end.

So the tyres next, this came with 700cx23 and they were alright, but I wanted to avoid punctures, yes even above weight, so I put a pair of Marathon Plus on. Definitely makes the bike feel heavier but I want peace of mind and don't want to be messing around fixing punctures, ever!

Next I found my weak legs couldn't even get up hills with the lowest road gear @ a 1.20 ratio (this is with triple chainrings as well lol, 30F/25R) so the 11-32 cassette was swapped onto it.

It now needed a MTB rear mech so the crappy old Altus was put on it from the MTB. This setup sort of works and I had a massive gear range of 30F/32R (0.94) lowest gear to 50F/11R (4.5) highest gear, but the rear mech was awful, had a lot of play in it, so it got swapped for a new Alivio. This works better but in the lowest gear a nut was lightly touching a spoke so I gently filed enough off the nut to stop it rubbing.

Next was the saddle, I happened to still have a Brooks from years ago, slapped some olive oil on the underside and rubbed it in, back to new again. Very comfortable. Glad I had this spare because they are about £120 to buy. Its from a long time ago, around 1990.

Next up was the pedals. Well, the day I got the bike I swapped the one sided toe clip pedals off it and put some £4.99 plastic (kids bike?) pedals on it. These were dangerous in the wet after 6 months light usage, no grip, so I got the grippiest pedals I could find, Wellgo Bear Trap pedals, apparently meant for downhill mountain biking, well as long as I can stand up in the rain without having to wear special shoes or put my foot in and out of toe clips, I prefer it that way. I know pedalling efficiency is lost, but its only about getting fitter for me at the moment. The bike is aimed to be convenient.

Next thing I replaced was the Altus/Acera shifters, they never worked perfectly even when new (just like the 2300 rear mech lol). Managed to acquire a pair of M951 XTR shifters, all of a sudden the shifting on the rear mech became a dream come true.

Last thing to be put on it was a R443 front mech because the original Sora road mech didn't play well with the XTR shifters from 1995. The cable pull was fine (from what I have read it shouldn't have been and yet it was lol) but the tension was tight with the road front mech. The R443 is designed as a road front mech that can take up to a 52T outer chainring but also works with MTB flat bar trigger shifters.

Its funny because with all that done, the only thing left of the original bike now is the frame, wheel rims, bottom bracket, chainrings/cranks and brake calipers. I hope its still under warranty. :mrgreen:

With my bike setup like this, it is everything I could want a bike to be. Granny gears are a must for me, what if one day, even if I am really fit by then, I need to get something heavy up a hill? Puncture resistance is also a big must. Flat handlebars are too. The thing is with those XTR shifters and Brooks saddle it is perfected, there's no upgrade I can do now, nothing I want.

Next thing would be an electric motor, just kidding, I need to get fit again.

Apart from upgrading the rear mech to an old XTR one (if I can get one cheap, like under £40) I cannot see what else I want, as a commuter/tourer for me it is perfected. I lose a few MPH being on straight bars but I can take that, I am not in a race!

The only upgrade now would be a massive overhaul to the point the bike isn't even the same bike anymore, for example disc brakes, but then to have those I need a new frame + fork + wheels... which is 80% of a bike. :roll:

Like the father said to his son on a Yellow Pages advert "maybe next year".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igf-QK1emIw

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    you forgot the pic.
  • Sodafarl
    Sodafarl Posts: 118
    Can't wait to to see the Triggers broom version of the Tiban 3.
    Should put a picture up and one on the Triban owners club forum (hope I'm allowed to say that) :D
    It should get a very healthy debate going.
  • mustol
    mustol Posts: 134
    Come on - where's the photo - this I've got to see!?!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Imposter wrote:
    you forgot the pic.

For once I'm not sure I want to see a pic! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • imposter2.0
    Rolf F wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    you forgot the pic.

For once I'm not sure I want to see a pic! :lol:

'course you do.. ;)
  • This could be another of those "I found some great decals on eBay last night" threads...... :roll:
  • Not really anything to add ...

Just wanted my place in BikeRadar history :D
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Is this the ultimate stealth bike?
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Worthy of a ban surely :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    So you spent money turning a road bike into a mountain bike but only for the road, like the one you already had.
    A pic or it didn,t happen. :D
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    You know that feeling when watching TV through your fingers because you don't really want to see what's about to happen, but can't quite tear yourself away? That's how I feel about coming back to this thread.
  • smidsy
    I would not worry James - the pictures will never turn up, unless he finds them hiding under the 'superb graphics' ones on the ezy pile :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Manc33
    Picture a Triban 3 with flat handlebars and bar ends. That is the only real difference in how it looks. Although the MTB cassette looks funny on it with skinny 700c wheels. Then there's the Brooks Colt on it. I just haven't got a pic, or even a camera.

Was going to take the decals off for a laugh and get Ferrari ones since it is the right colour. Then thought it would probably bring the value of it down if I ever sell it.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Manc33 wrote:
    Picture a Triban 3 with flat handlebars and bar ends. That is the only real difference in how it looks. Although the MTB cassette looks funny on it with skinny 700c wheels. Then there's the Brooks Colt on it. I just haven't got a pic, or even a camera.

Was going to take the decals off for a laugh and get Ferrari ones since it is the right colour. Then thought it would probably bring the value of it down if I ever sell it.

I wouldn't worry about bringing the value down to be honest my friend.
  • imposter2.0
    Manc33 wrote:
    Picture a Triban 3 with flat handlebars and bar ends.

You mean, something like the Btwin 'Fit 3', or the 'Fit 5'..?? Congrats in turning your Triban 3 into a completely different model that Btwin already sells, right alongside the Triban... ;)
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    You do realise drop bars are not designed to be ridden on the tops all the time - there's a reason hoods are there. When your hands are on the hoods it's remarkably easy to change gear and brake...

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I think this is going to end up like THAT decals thread...
  • declan1
    Paul 8v wrote:

STOP MENTIONING THAT THREAD!

I'm off to sob in a corner now :cry::cry::cry:

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• Paul 8v
    declan1 wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

STOP MENTIONING THAT THREAD!

I'm off to sob in a corner now :cry::cry::cry:
    Haha, I'm gutted I have never seen them. Classic thread
  • Paul 8v
    You realise now every time someone posts on here you will think it is the picture of the bike and you will click in giddy anticipation but it will never materialise. Just like the decal thread :-)
  • declan1
    Paul 8v wrote:
    You realise now every time someone posts on here you will think it is the picture of the bike and you will click in giddy anticipation but it will never materialise. Just like the decal thread :-)

I have realised that, and for that very reason I shall be unsubscribing :P

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• i have read this a couple of times for a laugh , but the fact remains he's got a hybrid and needs to man up bend and his back if he wants to post on the road forum.
    last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1
  • imposter2.0
    Paul 8v wrote:

yep - I fell for it - and am now disappointed... :(
  • Manc33
    Imposter wrote:
    Manc33 wrote:
    Picture a Triban 3 with flat handlebars and bar ends.

You mean, something like the Btwin 'Fit 3', or the 'Fit 5'..?? Congrats in turning your Triban 3 into a completely different model that Btwin already sells, right alongside the Triban... ;)

Except the "Fit 3" is £80 less, doesn't have a carbon fork, only has SRAM 3.0 on it, grip shift, 21 gears not 24.

The "Fit 5" is more similar to what I have ended up with, but is £80 more than the Triban 3 which is a lot at this price point.

I guess it depends if you have a spare MTB lying around you're never going to use again. :lol:
  • smidsy
    Stil having trouble with finding a camera I see Manc ,or should we call you EzyRider?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Damn, fell for it again.....thought some pictures might have turned up by now :roll: :evil:
  • ^Ha me too!
    Cipollini Bond
    Pinarello GAN
  • Aghh...clicked again and still no picture...
  • imposter2.0
    we need to face facts here - it ain't gonna happen...

(sorry to anyone who clicked on this hoping to see pics)