Alternative route planner suggestions

gbsahne001
gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
edited March 2014 in Commuting chat
It looks as though my route planner of choice "bikeroutetoaster" has bitten the dust, any suggestions as to another that has similar functions

Comments

• Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    I use bikehike now. Used to use mmr, but if memory serves you can longer save in Garmin tcx format.
    May not be an issue for you of course.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • atomicjoy
    atomicjoy Posts: 8
    edited December 2013
    You could try cyclestreets.net or (just seen today) cycle.travel/map
  • I favour Bikehike.
  • Strava route planner
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Garmin Connect
    RidewithGPS
  • daniel_b
    Does anyone use gpsies to create routes?

Due to my edge 500 not handling breadcrumb trails very well, I have been creating it in bikehike, then 'converting' it through gpsies, but I wonder if I should just create it in gpsies to start with.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:

Due to my edge 500 not handling breadcrumb trails very well, I have been creating it in bikehike, then 'converting' it through gpsies, but I wonder if I should just create it in gpsies to start with.

Why do you have to convert it after creating in Bikehike?
  • gbsahne001
    thanks for the suggestions, although none of them seem to be as easy as bikeroutetoaster.
  • daniel_b
    Daniel B wrote:

Because I ride a load of unchartered (for me) roads, that have no signposts, so I always ride them on the map view - if I only make the route on bikehike, I find the breadcrumb trail vanishes periodically, where as if I run it through gpsies, and set it to 'set trackpoints evenly' (I think it is), and medium track simplification, this does not happen - I happily admit I have no idea which of the above resolves it.

I have yet to get the waypoints working to my liking so far, but will have another go next weekend.
    I tried to create the course entirely in gpsies, and set manual waypoints, and saved it asking it to alert me 500ft before the waypoint, but it would seem when the Garmin converted it to a .fit file, it loses this 500ft before setting, so next time out I will try and set the waypoints back accordingly from where they are required.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

Because I ride a load of unchartered (for me) roads, that have no signposts, so I always ride them on the map view - if I only make the route on bikehike, I find the breadcrumb trail vanishes periodically, where as if I run it through gpsies, and set it to 'set trackpoints evenly' (I think it is), and medium track simplification, this does not happen - I happily admit I have no idea which of the above resolves it.

I have yet to get the waypoints working to my liking so far, but will have another go next weekend.
    I tried to create the course entirely in gpsies, and set manual waypoints, and saved it asking it to alert me 500ft before the waypoint, but it would seem when the Garmin converted it to a .fit file, it loses this 500ft before setting, so next time out I will try and set the waypoints back accordingly from where they are required.

If that's what is happening I can understand why you do it. The only reason I asked is that I have been using Bikehike for years now, both for road cycling, mountain biking, running and walking...and I always get a perfect track to follow along the map on my screen. All I do is export as a tcx.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    RidewithGPS for me

straight forward to use and good for getting a preview of elevation profiles
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    t4tomo wrote:
    RidewithGPS for me

straight forward to use and good for getting a preview of elevation profiles

+1 easy to get started and lets you plot "off piste" diversions/connections (e.g. connecting a road to a cycleway where there's not an official path) where other sites make you stick to the beaten (and possibly legal) track.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • daniel_b
    Daniel B wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

If that's what is happening I can understand why you do it. The only reason I asked is that I have been using Bikehike for years now, both for road cycling, mountain biking, running and walking...and I always get a perfect track to follow along the map on my screen. All I do is export as a tcx.

Yeh I know, it is frustrating for us 500 owners, never had any issues with my edge 205, but they ballsed up the course facility allegedly in firmware version 2.5, and are now upto 3.2 iirc, and no change, so those of us who want this facility have to find workarounds.

What Garmin do you have, an 800?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • gbsahne001
    thread resurrection but just thought people might want to know that Bike Route Toaster's back up with a new look