List of high quality bib shorts

GGBiker
GGBiker Posts: 450
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
Fancy a pair of high quality bib shorts for Christmas, am tempted by Assos but was wondering what else matches this quality at least approximately.

So any recommendations for all round comfortable bib shorts to be worn for training (3-4hrs max) and racing (1-2hrs) and the odd longer run/sportive probably max 4.5hrs in saddle.

Thinking of assos s2 or s5, also see wiggle have Sportful bodyfit pro shorts for just over £50 (seem well regarded and apparently same pad as Saxo Tinkoff riders use).

Castelli are an option but would prefer something a bit more style neutral.

Main criteria are high quality and a super comfortable pad to keep my arse happy.

Comments

• mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    If you want neutral you should also consider the Rapha Classic. Also come with a 30 day "comfort" guarantee....
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Rapha Pro Team are very comfortable for even long days in the saddle.
  • GGBiker
    Should have said, max £100!!
  • I stick with Castelli now as their Kiss 3 pad fits me fantastically.

In terms of shorts, the Velocissimo are good for under £100.00.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Santini Edge, £80 from Prendas. Very nice quality and slightly retro look (as in no huge logos). The only design flaw is a white chamois, doh!
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    GGBiker wrote:
    Should have said, max £100!!

No worries.

I have a number of pairs of Assos and Rapha - but, I have to confess to being very impressed with DHB bibs from Wiggle - they are well made and comfortable and really good value. I use them primarily for training rides, but I've done up to 300km in them without issues.

Really good value.
  • GGBiker
    I have a few pairs of dhb shorts, they are fine apart from the pad which is cheap and not particularly well shaped or comfortable.

I see the aeron pro shorts are well reviewed, anyone have real world experience vs assos or others, the price difference is only £25 between them.
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    I've tried the DHB Aeron Pro and they didnt like my bum so sold them after a couple of uses.
    I have tried Assos from the factory shop (so an older model) but again the pad was good but the fit around my crotch was uncomfortable after a while.
    Now I stick to Castelli with the Progetto X2 (Free Aero) as they are excellent, for me at least.
    Cheers, Stu
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Endura Equipe.
  • GGBiker
    bobones wrote:
    Endura Equipe.

Was considering these but they have a large mesh area on the side of the legs which I suspect would be both chilly and overly revealing, seems to ruin a great pair of shorts.
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    castelli velocissimo due
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    Shutt VR
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    GGBiker wrote:
    bobones wrote:
    Endura Equipe.

Was considering these but they have a large mesh area on the side of the legs which I suspect would be both chilly and overly revealing, seems to ruin a great pair of shorts.

I think that's just on the Criterium bib shorts, I don't think that the Endurance bib shorts have this. Worth checking out; I have the Equipe Winter bib longs, and they have the most comfortable pad that I've tried.

Also look at the Craft Elite bib shorts. I've had a couple of pairs, and they're excellent.

I've used Craft, Assos, Endura and Endura Equipe, all have their plus points over each other, but for your budget, I don't think you'll go far wrong with the Craft Elite.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I've currently got Castelli, Rapha and Nalini shorts. The ones I go for if they're all in the drawer and none of them in the wash are the under £50 Nalini ones, they're the comfiest for the longest for me.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/nalini-nalini-bib-shorts-nalini-geranio-1-bib-shorts/nalizbbs209
  • Geo555
    Geo555 Posts: 96
    How about these Pella Pro Ergo shorts.

http://www.customperformancekit.co.uk/b ... horts.html

Highly rated by Road.cc, but let down a bit by the price, but now discounted.
    http://road.cc/content/review/93598-pel ... bib-shorts
  • markynulty wrote:
    I stick with Castelli now as their Kiss 3 pad fits me fantastically.

In terms of shorts, the Velocissimo are good for under £100.00.

This. The Kiss 3 pad really is superb. All down to personal preference though , ideally try before you buy at that price point.

I like Santini, especially the styling, but find the cut at the waist too high. Not ideal for the mid ride number one...
  • mattgeezer
    mattgeezer Posts: 1,805
    Gore xenon!
    Allez 2013
    Pitch 2011
    GT Moto 2003
  • mattgeezer wrote:
    Gore xenon!

+1 for this and also I've always liked RH+

A
    Alistair

Best Weather Bike - Time ZXRS
    Summer Road Bike - Pinarello FPX Dogma
    Winter Road Bike- Colnago E1
    Being Dismantled - Sintesi Blade
    Mountain Bike - Sold them all....
  • I've a couple of Assos pairs FI Mille's with the S5 pad - the 'long' shorts and the 3/4s - both brilliant and which I tend to reserve for the longer rides.

I've some DHB's (shorts, 3/4s and full tights) which are fine, but what's impressed me recently is the ProBikeKit (PBK own brand) tights. Price wise they're competitive with DHB but I think in future I'd buy these before DHBs.

I also have Gores (not sure which model) which left me somewhat underwhelmed - given the price.

PBK Elite shorts (I have the Elite tights) are down to £55 with another 15% off at the moment.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    Altura ProGel bibs are very reasonably priced and i find them very comfortable on long spins (5+ Hrs)
  • Hi I bought a pair of these dhb valeon roubinax pro tights £72 wore em once an they are absolute rubbish. I read the reviews fantastic. Says they're ideal for distance due to their own design touring pad. Premium winter bib tights. Had really bad nappy rash after 10 miles had to head home was in bits crotch/groin wise after 17. Gutted.
    Ironey is I bought some cheap ebay roubinax bib tights for £25 posted in blue white stitching look like sporticus from kids programme. But they absolutely kill the dhb ones in fit. Performance comfort. Ive done my longest in just over zero degrees for a 42 mile hilly ride with no issues. Ive ordered more.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    PBK elite shorts looks a good deal, just clicked the order button, thanks for the rec.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • MugenSi wrote:
    Altura ProGel bibs are very reasonably priced and i find them very comfortable on long spins (5+ Hrs)

I agree with that, in the summer I wear either Altura ProGel or Ergofit and they are very comfortable.

I had my first ride last night with my new Etxeondo winter kit though and it was amazing; Lodi jacket and bikoterm bib tights. After riding those I would definitely recommend Etxeondo :!: