Rear mech/chain issues or something else?

bwstokie
bwstokie Posts: 115
edited December 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all

Ran my new slx shadow plus 2x10 setup yesterday and had some issues.

Put the new parts on and setup in the stand and all seemed well. Chain was sized using the big cog to big ring missing the mechs pull the chain tight and add two links method. All gear changes both with the gear clutch on and off seemed smooth.

When on the trail though it was a different story. All gear combinations with the clutch on we're ok apart from when I was in the big ring at the front and trying to change down from third largest cog to second. It wouldn't change down and was like the crank arms were locking - best way I can describe it. With the clutch off no problems at all and it was all smooth as silk?

I'm confused?

Any help appreciated - I'm thinking my chain could be too short when suspension compresses and with the clutch on as there's no give in the mech forwards? If so how many links should I add before there's too many?

Bike is a Marin Wolf Ridge 6.9 with RP23.

Thanks

Lee

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Clutch mech is more clunky like that. So either un clutch it or use the small ring and a smaller cog.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Did you take into account chain growth?
    It is important to determine chain length on a full suspension bike when it is in its fully compressed position, and with the chain in the largest cog and chain ring.
  • bwstokie
    Mustn't have enough links in then by the sounds of it then as I didn't think about the rear suspension, just blindly followed the big ring, big cog plus two links method. Presumably if I let all the air out of the shock, compress it fully and measure again, big to big plus 2 links it should be spot on?

Thanks for the advice!
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I had to add 4 links to the chain after doing big cog big cog to get it to shift properly when I changed my drive train recently
  • bwstokie
    Is that an additional 4 links to the usual 2 so 6 in total or an extra 2 to the 2 so 4 or total?

Thanks for the help!
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    bwstokie wrote:
    Is that an additional 4 links to the usual 2 so 6 in total or an extra 2 to the 2 so 4 or total?

Thanks for the help!

measured chain round the big cogs added two links - realised the chain was too short so added two more so four in total
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    My mechanic friend that installed my 1x10 stuff last night removed 4 links in total from my XT chain. We also let all the air out of the shock to do it. Now has perfect tension and shifts like a boss.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8