City jets tyre pressure

Kiliscott
Kiliscott Posts: 82
edited December 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I fitted city jets to my commuter hardtail with 1.5 - 2.0 inners and I'm chicken shit to blow above 40 psi. Reading posts on here people are saying they run between 60-70 psi? I'm only used to going to 30 psi on my rubber queens haha. Regards scott,

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    edited December 2013
    Well what does it say on the sides and what your rims can do? Pick the lowest.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I always run them at 65psi
  • No Sweat
    No Sweat Posts: 103
    Too soft, and apparently you will puncture more, the tyres will squirm on cornering (and may even come off the rim), and the resulting high rolling resistance will slow you down.
    Too hard, and you will bounce on every imperfection in the road which will also slow you down.
    The right pressure for you will depend on your weight (and that of your bike and luggage).
    I found this website a good starting point (as it's really aimed at road bikes, the max tyre size is 37mm, but that will be close to your 1.5s and the principal will be the same). Make adjustments through trial, and obviously, if your route is full of potholes, or you ride up kerbs, you may want to put in a bit more air.

http://www.dorkypantsr.us/bike-tire-pre ... lator.html

Note that you will probably need higher pressure in the rear than the front tyre.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I run mine at 65 too
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not CJ's, but I run my road slicks at 80psi rear and 70psi front, road bike tyres have to be run at 120+psi, so don't worry about it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • No Sweat
    No Sweat Posts: 103
    The Rookie wrote:
    road bike tyres have to be run at 120+psi, so don't worry about it!

Hmm. Some road tyres may be run at 120+psi...but it's not compulsory. It will depend on your weight and how smooth the road is; unless you want to lose your fillings. As pointed out by Chunkers1980, you should also check the maximum pressure rating of your rims and the tyres. The maximum is a limit, not necessarily a target!
  • Dont be scared to go above 40. Thats low for a city jet. I used mine at 60. No puncutres at all.

120 Psi! I dont like going above 60 on my Michelin 1.4s. I use them at 50 now, much better than the City Jet as well in my experience. But then again my Jets are 1.95 so are thicker, thats possibly why i didnt find much of an improvement in speed on the road over Maxxis Aspens at 2.1
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I'm actually the opposite... feels weird running low pressures in my MTB tyres. Anything under 35 feels squishy.

Smaller wheels but I run my BMX tyres at 90-100psi. I like that shizz to roll fast and bounce like a basketball :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Find the maximum on the sidewall and just fill it to that for smooth surface use. For rides that involve loose gravel paths i tend to lower the pressures so that they roll better.
  • CitizenLee wrote:
    I'm actually the opposite... feels weird running low pressures in my MTB tyres. Anything under 35 feels squishy.

Smaller wheels but I run my BMX tyres at 90-100psi. I like that shizz to roll fast and bounce like a basketball :)

I run my offroad tyres at 40, even though thats like near enough double what some people use. It just feels weird under braking when its low.

Thats nuts on a BMX. How does that not exploded when landing off a jump or a drop!
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee wrote:

I run my offroad tyres at 40, even though thats like near enough double what some people use. It just feels weird under braking when its low.

Thats nuts on a BMX. How does that not exploded when landing off a jump or a drop!

110psi rated tyres :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • CitizenLee wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:

110psi rated tyres :)

:shock: Are they made of granite?

Can i get link to those tyres by any chance?
  • CitizenLee
    You sure can :)

Front & Rear
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • Nice! I just had a look at the BMX in your sig. Im not really a BMX fan anymore, but I approve ;) Looks very nice.