mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited December 2013 in Commuting chat
just seen this on BBC

not good at all....
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No, not at all good.....one hopes this wasn't a hit and run but 'natural causes' at least.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Not good at all. The thought of someone dying alone and away from home saddens me even more. According to this they reckon nobody else was involved and it was in a village.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    A few years ago there was a report about an elderly cyclist found dead on a country road. Apparently he died suddenly (I can't remember the cause) and no-one else was involved. He was a lifelong cyclist and had no family or close friends.

I think that isn't a bad way to go: Out for a 50 miler in the fens (or dale or whatever) doing what you love.

Maybe this guy had the same sort of thing. I hope so.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • I ride on this road at least once a week. It is a popular climb and generally known to cyclists as Bwlch Penbarras. It is a tough climb from Llanbedr-Dyffryn-Clwyd. I'll think of this guy next time I ride it. Deepest sympathy to his family and friends.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    A few years ago there was a report about an elderly cyclist found dead on a country road. Apparently he died suddenly (I can't remember the cause) and no-one else was involved. He was a lifelong cyclist and had no family or close friends.

I think that isn't a bad way to go: Out for a 50 miler in the fens (or dale or whatever) doing what you love.

+1 - I'd be happy to go that way when my time comes...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Looks like it was natural causes...

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-w ... nd-6358945
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    TGOTB wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

+1 - I'd be happy to go that way when my time comes...
    You two obviously have a more optimistic outlook than I do. I must try harder to look on the bright side.
    I'm 'glad' it was natural causes. Obviously sad that he has lost his life, but at least it wasn't a hit and run or anything like that.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    My dad found a guy who'd died on his own out in the countryside near where he lives. He was out on his MTB and the guy was just lying on the ground on his own, lips a bit blue, no pulse... Apparently someone else came along with a dog and stayed with the body and my dad rode off to get the police etc. He'd had a cardiac whilst out running...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    We lost a member of staff at work, was taking a car from one site to another, never turned up, found by the BiB parked up with the engine running and him still in the driver seat, PM gave the cause of death as a massive heart attack, reckoned he'd have been conscious for no more than 20-30 seconds from start to end, not nice but better than clinging pn knowing you are going for weeks or months IMO.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Given that we are all going to go eventually, I'll settle for quick, painless and doing something I enjoy...
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Death by snu-snu?
    Futurama_305_-_Amazon_Women_in_the_Mood.jpg
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Given that we are all going to go eventually, I'll settle for quick, painless and doing something I enjoy...

Regretably, there's nothing quick or painless about the Old Bwlch.