Tomorrow will be my 1st proper 'winter' ride

Claud Roubaix
Claud Roubaix Posts: 76
edited December 2013 in Road beginners
But I am a perturbed what clothing to wear - concerned that I will wear too much tbh.
I have just purchased one of Aldis new Performance cycling jacket (jersey), would I wear a base layer plus a short sleeved jersey or just the base layer underneath?
I have a couple of good quality base layers a thicker one from Peak UK and a thinner Nike one.

Help a complete novice here - what would you recommend?

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    If the jerseys not wind proof I would wear a thick base layer and a jersey at the very least, it really depends how much you feel the cold.
  • base layer, short sleeved jersey and the performance jersey? It is supposedly windproof.
  • diamonddog
    I have a couple of their Winter jackets @ £16 and they are excellent, if it is as good as these are I normally wear just a base layer under them. I have found that when the temperature is really low ie <4 degrees I need the thicker base layer.
  • diamonddog
    Last week on one ride the temp was 4 degrees and with wind chill felt like 2 according to Garmin and my ears, I had a thin base layer under the jacket and could feel the cold a bit but not too bad.
    Enjoy your ride. :)
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    Tbh no one can really advise you. It will depend on a lot of variables such as:
    temperature - Sunday is forecast to range between about 7 and 9 degrees at midday depending on where you are in the country.
    wind (chill)
    The actual qualities of the clothing options you have.
    Your own personal body reaction to cold.

Once you've ridden a bit you sort of get to know these things and make your own judgements.
    Any advice any of us can give is all very subjective.

One thing to consider though is if you have several layers you have the opportunity to take something off.
    If you aren't wearing enough to start with you can't fix it mid-ride.

Just my two penneth.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    6-7C in Aviemore today with a cold wind and no sun. I had long bib tights, overshoes, medium gloves, skull cap, my summer short sleeve top with my longer thicker jersey on top. If I overheat I can remove my summer top. Was in two minds about the extra layer but was glad I did when going into the 20mph wind.

I find jackets aren't breathable and wool base layers irritate my skin. This combination wicks away sweat well and is very comfy. Better to go slightly overdressed than under. Breath-ability is the key though, most jackets don't offer this.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • diamonddog
    As others have mentioned better to be too warm than too cold.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I am absolutely nesh and I always have to wear more than people I'm riding with. If it's your first ride err on the side of caution. Everyone is different.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I am absolutely nesh and I always have to wear more than people I'm riding with. If it's your first ride err on the side of caution. Everyone is different.

This is good advice, if you are too hot you can take layers off. If you are too cold if will be a very unpleasant ride. I just wear a base layer and a water proof / windproof jacket as I don't feel the cold.
  • diamonddog wrote:
    I have a couple of their Winter jackets @ £16 and they are excellent, if it is as good as these are I normally wear just a base layer under them.

+1

I use the same ALDI winter jacket and one of their compression base layer tops and thats it, plus the cold is not a issue either, and i feel the cold too. Once you get going anyway and have warmed up, the cold shouldnt be a problem. If you are still cold after 15 minutes, cycle harder ;)
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • I have the same jersey. All numbers in degrees c and assuming you are cycling hard enough to get hot uphill.

Over 10. Short sleeve light base
    Between 7 and 10. Long sleeve light base.
    Between 5 and 7. Long sleeve warm base.
    Between 2 and 5. I wear two base layers, one light, the other warm. Or a light one and a merino long sleeve jersey.
    Below 2. I have no idea. I would rather stay at home.
  • diamonddog wrote:

I don't agree: if you are too warm you are going to be wet and then cold.

If you are a bit cold at the beginning of your ride, then you feel better.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog wrote:

If you are too warm on the ride then take a layer off, that's the general idea, but do whatever suits you.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    diamonddog wrote:

Punctures/mechanicals/crashes. If you are waiting round or stationary for any length of time in too little/thin clothing you risk hypothermia.

Almost happened to me in the Peak District waiting for an ambulance. I was almost blue lay on the road for 45 minutes in 5°c
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    How did it go then?
  • After all that good advice I went with thick base layer with the Performance jersey. I was toasty, if probably too warm but its made me realise the quality this gear is.

Thanks for the advice all.
  • prando
    prando Posts: 47
    But...what about extremities ? I am thinking toes in my case. You name it, I bought it, tried it and got the tee shirt. Result...just accept frozen toes and smile :-)
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Sealskinz for me over light cotton socks seem to do it for me and I have total confidence in my spesh gloves. I think if the core is toasty then it helps the extremities. May go into overshoes if it gets really cold.

I tried to wing it for the first winter using old running kit. It was a big mistake. Quality gear that works is the way to go and the more you do, the more you will recognise how to dress for different weather conditions. My waterproof over jacket rolls up in my back pocket as a bail out but got away with just merino base long sleeve and thick jersey over bib tights
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Buy a gilet or two, I've got a light weight one and a Roubaix one and they cover pretty much all weather conditions from October to March.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    This is why you need to ride all year round - helps you judge the clothing much better. FWIW I think last weekend was mild compared to the one before - certainly round here anyway.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Plenty of tips in this GCN video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=097kJPd-0q8
    In another of their winter riding videos Matt Stephens recommends wrapping some foil around your toes if it's really cold.

Some ideas on Tejvan's blog:
    http://cyclinginfo.co.uk/blog/623/winte ... or-winter/

A buff can be good for the head and ears.

I get cold fingers and toes so wear heftier MTB shoes (not the ones with lots of holes) with good overshoes. Neoprene does not stay warm once wet IME. When it's really cold I put my gloves and shoes on the radiator, and once layered up I get my circulation going and build up warmth in between the layers before stepping outside.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.