This is hilarious!

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    :lol::lol::lol: Excellent.
  • I would have paid good money to watch that unfold...im sure i would have been done for laughing too much.....got to be a crime somewhere!
  • :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: nice one
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Agreed but the worrying thing is that if it had been most of us we would have been handed a ticket with the prospect of paying a fine for a quiet life or a long and difficult argument to prove that we weren't doing anything wrong.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    ha - brilliant!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Yes, it seems that the police think that they can bully people just because they can and because the person they are talking to comes across with an annoying attitude
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Yeah we're all like that Mikey.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Worrying really. If you're ever stopped like that get your phone out and start filming.
  • Pictures of the Stops Form or it didn't happen IMHO.
  • Brakeless wrote:
    Worrying really. If you're ever stopped like that get your phone out and start filming.
    Except an officer who abuses their power in one way is likely to abuse their power in other ways such as using RIPA anti-terrorism powers to confiscate your phone and arrest you. You'e no longer a cyclist wanting to do a bit of DIY but an anarchist making films to incite hatred among terrorist organisations!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Nice story, but I doubt if it's genuine.
  • Imposter wrote:

Thats my opinion too.

Makes for good reading, but just sounds like someone telling a good story to make out that the police are dickheads. In reality, why would the "Sgt" not just have identified himself as such in the first place, instead of wasting his own time to show someone to be a dick. If it is genuine, then he just proved himself to be a dick as well. IMO
  • napoleond
    Nairnster wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Thats my opinion too.

Makes for good reading, but just sounds like someone telling a good story to make out that the police are dickheads. In reality, why would the "Sgt" not just have identified himself as such in the first place, instead of wasting his own time to show someone to be a dick. If it is genuine, then he just proved himself to be a dick as well. IMO

Indeed. My thoughts too. Like one of those Facebook 'true stories' that get banded about...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Load of tosh.
    Why would you need a blow torch, flux and joints? If you soldered joints you would already have a blow torch and/or flux.
    Most people would use push fit unless it was for gas.
  • ovi
    ovi Posts: 396
    Carbonator wrote:
    Load of tosh.
    Why would you need a blow torch, flux and joints? If you soldered joints you would already have a blow torch and/or flux.
    yeah.. but sometimes its good to do things the good old fashioned way and pushfit looks shit.
  • Anonymous
    ovi wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    Load of tosh.
    yeah.. but sometimes its good to do things the good old fashioned way and pushfit looks shoot.

Not sure how good soldered joints with a B&Q 'blow torch' done by a first time solderer are going to look though.

If all bends are done with fittings (guessing he does not have a bending machine) its going to look more amateurish and 'shoot' than using push fit anyway.

The burn/singe marks left by that cheapo 'blow torch' will certainly be 'retro' though :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Even if you ignore the obvious DIY plumbing error, why would the 'young' PC suddenly ask what he did for a living?

What is the relevance in him being young anyway if not only to accentuate the 'story'
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    owenlars wrote:
    Agreed but the worrying thing is that if it had been most of us we would have been handed a ticket with the prospect of paying a fine for a quiet life or a long and difficult argument to prove that we weren't doing anything wrong.

IF there's no offence, then no ticket despite what an arse is trying to say.

Had a similar incident many, many years ago when pulled over driving my wife's Imprezza. Young officer comes up to the drivers window with the rain pouring down. Me with the engine running winds window down for the blast of warm air to greet him and ask what's up.
    "Could you come and sit in our car so we can speak to you."
    I don't think I need to do that do that do I.
    "Well it could make it easier."
    Wife not wanting a confrontation asks me to cooperate so I get out of the car leaving the engine running.
    "Can you switch the ignition off please."
    Why?
    "Because it's an offence not to leave a car with the engine running."
    It's an offence to leave a car with the engine running if there is no qualified driver in the vehicle don't you mean? She (pointing to the wife) has a full driving licence. This alone should have told them they were dealing with another plod but they didn't get it.
    Sat in their car while they went through fictitious offences with me pointing errors out until the penny dropped when they tried to PNC me and got the response back of access restricted.
    Funny how the mood changed. One of them later worked under me as a PC for a while, but actually turned into a decent copper.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Story would have been funnier if the bloke had been bluffing about being a copper
  • philthy3 wrote:
    owenlars wrote:

IF there's no offence, then no ticket despite what an ars* is trying to say.

Had a similar incident many, many years ago when pulled over driving my wife's Imprezza. Young officer comes up to the drivers window with the rain pouring down. Me with the engine running winds window down for the blast of warm air to greet him and ask what's up.
    "Could you come and sit in our car so we can speak to you."
    I don't think I need to do that do that do I.
    "Well it could make it easier."
    Wife not wanting a confrontation asks me to cooperate so I get out of the car leaving the engine running.
    "Can you switch the ignition off please."
    Why?
    "Because it's an offence not to leave a car with the engine running."
    It's an offence to leave a car with the engine running if there is no qualified driver in the vehicle don't you mean? She (pointing to the wife) has a full driving licence. This alone should have told them they were dealing with another plod but they didn't get it.
    Sat in their car while they went through fictitious offences with me pointing errors out until the penny dropped when they tried to PNC me and got the response back of access restricted.
    Funny how the mood changed. One of them later worked under me as a PC for a while, but actually turned into a decent copper.
    Be careful philthy3, someone will be along in a bit to tell you your story isn't true and that you don't really exist. :lol:
  • It shows the attitude the police have when pulled over though, and also that they seem to like making a fool of a colleague.
  • napoleond
    I always had a rule that I'd speak to someone how I'd like my mum to be spoken to if she was pulled over.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • StillGoing
    Nairnster wrote:
    It shows the attitude the police have when pulled over though, and also that they seem to like making a fool of a colleague.

Not at all. We just know what we are and aren't required to do and what is and isn't an offence. I was perfectly civil to both officers at all times. We don't just come out with "I'm job too" in case there is some suggestion we are trying to secure favour. In this day and age, young coppers are very trigger happy to report a colleague to the Professional Standards Dept for anything. Even where no offence has been committed, coming straight out with I'm job would imply that you weren't sure whether you'd done something wrong and were trying to avoid a prosecution. The only time a police officer is required to identify himself to another officer is when being booked into custody if arrested. If they are reported for an offence including minor traffic offences, they are required to inform the PSD in most forces.
  • So why not just do what the policeman asked, because as said, a ticket will only stand up if an offence is committed.

Am pretty sure, that if a 'civvy' questioned a policeman like that, he would fail the attitude test.

Instead of trying to make the younger officer dig himself into a deeper hole and embarrass him by dropping hints, why not just say that's it's not quitting if there is a qualified driver in the vehicle, and that you know because you are police too?

Polite, keeping him right, and inconveniencing you less. After all, he was on duty, you were probably trying to enjoy your day off.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    How to be annoying, arrogant, awkward and fundamentally correct - all at the same time... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7BQvt3XeAY
  • StillGoing
    Nairnster wrote:
    So why not just do what the policeman asked, because as said, a ticket will only stand up if an offence is committed.

Am pretty sure, that if a 'civvy' questioned a policeman like that, he would fail the attitude test.

Instead of trying to make the younger officer dig himself into a deeper hole and embarrass him by dropping hints, why not just say that's it's not quitting if there is a qualified driver in the vehicle, and that you know because you are police too?

Polite, keeping him right, and inconveniencing you less. After all, he was on duty, you were probably trying to enjoy your day off.

Which if you read it is what was said to him. Strewth. :roll: Learning who you might be dealing with is an invaluable lesson to young coppers. Teaches them not to bullshit and be straight up with who they deal with.
  • I'm a bit dubious about this story, it sounds a bit too good to be true.

Vaguely reminds me of something I saw a few years back. I was out for a Chinese meal with my parents and some of their friends. A copper stops outside and puts a ticket on one of my mums friends car. She goes out and there's a big row, as it wasn't clear why she got a ticket (it's not on yellow lines or near a junction); he claims it is dangerous parking. Unfortunately for the copper, she's a magistrate and knows who to speak to at the Police.

Interestingly, despite the copper getting a bollocking about it, the original ticket couldn't be rescinded and she ended up paying the fine anyway.

edit: turns out that said plod was trying to impress the young lady special he had with him that night.
  • After the

"I don't think I need to do that do i"

The

"why? "

I will question a policeman as to why I should do anything he says, if I ever get stopped, and report back as to how my experience goes when it turns out I don't outrank him.

I bet the whole thing was preceded by you turning to your wife and saying something along the lines of

"this will be fun" or "watch this"
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    The really sad thing is that plod up and down the country see no problem with the nod nod, wink wink approach to getting off traffic offences or getting "police discount" in restaurants, shops and cafes.

If plod wants to stick a fictitious offence on you, as long as its not the offence that is the fiction and just the committing of it that is, he or she will have no problem. Magistrates tend to look at plod as honest, decent and members of the public as lying. Its only if you have the expertise to challenge them thoroughly will you get any chance of justice if you find yourself on the wrong side. Generally, I would say avoid annoying them and if they want to dispatch crap advice, let them. After all nobody is paying you to educate them.
  • StillGoing
    Nairnster wrote:
    After the

"I don't think I need to do that do i"

The

"why? "

I will question a policeman as to why I should do anything he says, if I ever get stopped, and report back as to how my experience goes when it turns out I don't outrank him.

I bet the whole thing was preceded by you turning to your wife and saying something along the lines of

"this will be fun" or "watch this"

I bet you never played competitive contact sports at school either did you?