Adjusting Elixir 7 Calipers

duncanhankins
duncanhankins Posts: 12
edited December 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys, I've just swapped out my Elixir 3s for 7s, and changed wheels to Tesla hubs (Superstar) with Stans Arch Ex rims. My issue is I don't seem to be able to move the calipers across enough to stop them rubbing. I've done the pulling the lever 5-6 times then holding it in and nipping up the bolts, but they still bind, is really annoygin considering the 3s were fine and without any issue at all!?

Help would be appreciated!
D.

Comments

• Do you still have the 3s to confirm if they work fine with the new wheels?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    How are you doing the bolts up? Very easy to twist the caliper if aren't careful.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I hadn't tried the wheels with my 3s as the 3s are now on another bike with the old wheels?

As for tightening the bolts I use normal allen keys?
  • Well change it back. Work out what is different.

Of course you're using allen keys. It is the method you use not to make the caliper twist.
  • I didn't realise the caliper could twist so haven't used anything to stop it doing so as the manual and no fitting how2s have mentioned this.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It just twists a bit on the bolts. Just hold it and do them up bit by bit each side.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As mentioned, just do one up and the calliper will often twist, so you need to nip each one up and then tighten a little at a time alternating between the bolts, the disc is not stiff enough to stop it twisting.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.